2024 July Challenge Thread - Welcome to Japan! (日本へようこそ!)

Rip, you beat me to the punch on the other thing i was going to play (although it was a different album technically) so here's another beloved Anime soundtrack of which I picked up the boxset. Since I have it out now, i might as well play the whole thing!

View attachment 207643

Day 3 - The Seatbelts - Cowboy Bebop

Mine has a different cover, so it's different, yes?

Day 7 / 2024.S7.E7 - Everything, Everywhere All at Once (万事、随所同時に)

I.B.M. – Eat My Fuck
1000006702.jpg

Over the top production AND doesnt let up!
I.B.M., or Insane Black Man, is one of the many monikers of producer/DJ Jamal Moss, a/k/a Hieroglyphic Being. While a lot of his music features over the top and experimental production in general, I.B.M. particularly digs into acid techno and industrial. And with a title like Eat My Fuck,  this one is pretty full-on before the needle even drops.

Day 4 / 2024.S7.E4 - Why are there so many like this? (どうしてこんな物が多くあるん?)
In Yokohama, the Cup Noodles Museum is a popular tourist attraction for its cheap entrance fee and, of course, the ability to customize your own instant cup noodles! Very popular with families, and I made sure to have one customized at the end of the museum. Cup Noodles was invented in 1971 by Momofuku Ando (安藤百福), and is often referenced as one of the greatest inventions in history. Even with the various flavors and varieties available, I sometimes can’t taste a difference. Play a record that has at least four vinyl variants (LP color, pressing, etc.).

The Beatles "Revolver" (1966 ODEON Japan)
How many different pressings of this have there been over the years? Discogs says 527. Here's a Japanese 1st press Odeon stereo on their characteristic translucent red vinyl. I quickly went through discogs and also found green, transparent blue marbled and purple colorways that were done over the years. I imagine there's a lot more too.

IMG_1662.JPG

Day 5 / 2024.S7.E5 - Simplicity (単純)
Japanese art often focuses on minimalism…preventing the background distracting from the subject as much as possible. Sometimes a simple subject is all that is necessary to convey a message. Play a record that gives you cause for you to think over the course of its runtime. It does not necessarily have to be an ambient/minimal record, but rather something that allows you to reflect on what you are hearing.

Butcher Brown "Camden Session" (2021 Gearbox, Japanese pressing)
Laser-focused 4-track EP of jazz-funk instrumentals. Jazz tends to put me in a pensive mood, and funky beats draw me in.

IMG_1663.JPG

Day 8 / 2024.S7.E8 - No Music, No Life (音楽なし、生活なし)
Play a record that you recently purchased (within the last three months) from your local record store.

I think I've only bought 2 things locally in store the last 3 months. This is one of them:
20240715_173435.jpg
Madlib Medicine Show Vol 1. Before the Verdict /w Guilty Simpson
I bought this at a Newbury Comics - their original pricing is a bit crazy.
I wish I had closer small local stores around me. The closest store not a chain in a mall is > 30 mins away which I'd never pass by unless I purposely was heading to record shop. Which is why I usually hit several of them up when I'm out there.

The other record I bought (Moderat - S/T) within the last 3 months was bought in the same mall in an even larger chain FYE lol. It was sitting there neglected for months and getting super cheap (I think i bought it for like 10 bucks or something). I was just hoping someone would buy it because although it's a good album - I probably didn't need it in my collection. What? You've never bought a record because you felt bad for it? :LOL:

Last edited:
Day 6 / 2024.S7.E6 - In another season… (別な季節に)
Maruyama Park (円山公園) was a beautiful respite last year…right before the tourist chaos of Kiyomizu Temple (清水寺) with its winding, uneven walkways and shops from end to end. As lovely as the park was, seeing the red colors juxtaposed against the remainder of scenery had me thinking that the park's appearance could transform entirely in autumn, especially since our group missed the prime of sakura season. Play a record that pairs well with autumn/fall.

Depeche Mode "A Broken Frame" (1982 Sire Japan)
The grain harvesting on the cover evokes fall.

IMG_1664.JPG

Day 7 / 2024.S7.E7 - Everything, Everywhere All at Once (万事、随所同時に)
Inside the chaos of the department store that is Don Quixote (ドン・キホーテ), you’ll find something that appeals to you. Cosmetics, highly discounted snacks at late hours, branded penguin mascot merch, backpacks/luggage, Japanese whiskey, stationery, full meals/bento, yeah…this place has it all. Overwhelming, and across multiple floors with some of the most colorful and garish price stickers/advertising you’ll see. Oftentimes the discount/blowout racks are so overstuffed that items fall to the ground. The penguin mascot even has a different appearance/costume for each location across Japan! Play a record featuring over the top production or that doesn’t let up from start to finish.

Electric Light Orchestra "A New World Record" (1976 Jet Records Japan)
ELO are all about over-the-top production with lush orchestral strings.

IMG_1665.JPG

Last edited:
Day 10 / 2024.S7.E10 - Ten People, Ten Colors (十人十色)
This is mentaiko (明太子; spicy pollack roe), the first food I tasted in Japan. I asked the waiter in this izakaya for a recommendation, and he suggested it. While I enjoy it and certainly don’t mind having it as part of a Japanese meal, my younger brother and father were grossed out after the first bite. Relating to the episode title, it is a Japanese proverb meaning that in a diverse world that we have, everyone has the right to their own opinions; “to each their own.” Play a record you enjoy that maybe the general consensus has a mixed (or even negative!) impression on. Maybe even the N&G consensus!

So here's my sushi story. I did not have very much exposure to Japanese cuisine before my arrival. Really, I didn't even have much Asian cuisine in general. So I made it a mission to fully dive into the culture and food as much as possible. I ate nothing but traditional Japanese food for a month. Most of it was good, some of it, I had no idea what it was but ate it anyway. One day after my first month, I got really sick. My job mentor took me to a doctor and it was decided I had some food poisoning or bad food and prescribed me some antibiotics. I did get better eventually after a few days. So my personal decision was to supplement my diet with at lease once a week traditional American food. Fortunately Japan does KFC and McDonalds better than the old USA, so I had some choices. Their take on American pizza, however was sometimes a bit puzzling. One pizza chain was basically the same as Dominos or Pizza hut. There was one pizza place I tried that literally put hot dogs (sliced the long way) for their sausage pizza. That was a regrettable decision after a night of heavy drinking...

Anyway, on to the challenge. My very first exposure to sushi! I really did not know what to expect, but I went to a random izakaya and ordered pretty much one of everything to go. This was a good standard establishment where there was just one bar with a couple of side tables and the sushi chef. I had a nice chat with a local patron and left to go home my dorm room. I tried everything and liked most of it. The squid and octopus was very new sensation of chewy and sticky. The others were very nice and oishii (delicious). Eventually I have came to liking squid and octopus, but they are usually not my first choice. Hamachi (yellow fin tuna) is my favorite, as well as hotate (scallops-the large ones).

I think this is a pic of one of my first sushi experiences, but not 100% sure. It does not look like octopus is in there, but it might be the one with the thin band of seaweed, and squid is the white one. Tuna is the red one, mackerel is the silvery one (another very strong tasting fish). There is the yellow stripe that is scrambled egg, tamago. And some shrimp. The rolls and the fried triangle thing, I have no idea what they were. The pinkish thing on the bottom is pickled ginger, you're supposed to eat a slice between each sushi to cleans the palate.

One more thing with sushi... eat it however you like! There are "rules" but it does not really matter as long as you enjoy it!

sushi.jpg

Onto the challenge....
A record that I like that some folks may not....

Wet Leg

They were instantly popular last year, but I think there was some undue criticism. I think the band just wanted to have fun and maybe some critics wanted something more, disgusted by it, or outright dismissed them. I like it for what it is, fun and delicious.

PXL_20240716_012255567.jpg

Day 11 / 2024.S7.E11 - The Starry Sky (星空)
My father took this photo after we got drinks + yakitori in a bar in Kobe (神戸). The perfect conditions were cast down on the Mosaic District in Kobe along with this starry sky: warm temp, no wind, only a few tourists, and the calm port of Kobe made for a scenic wonder, even with the urban surroundings. I only wish that we took a ride in the ferris wheel here during these hours. Play a record that resonates differently at nighttime hours.

Lightning.jpg

Living on the 7th story of a building was very new to me. I got to witness some spectacular storms at night. This was one pic that I managed to capture.

PXL_20240716_020050666.jpg

This is related in a couple of ways... First the lightning on the cover. Second, I found this while traveling in Sweden. I found a record shop in Stockholm and asked for add some local bands. The shop owner said this would "blow my mind."

Nature is a Swedish band from the 1970s.

Back