2024 July Challenge Thread - Welcome to Japan! (日本へようこそ!)

Day 3 / 2024.S7.E3 - Childhood Memories (子供時代の思い出)

Aesop Rock – Bushwick (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
1000006412.jpg

Aesop Rock is pretty revered for his lyrical prowess but seldom seems to receive the same accolades for his beats. Fortunately the makers of Bushwick realized he's got something special there as well, and tasked him to score their movie. The music is frenetic, moody and magnificent. I've never seen the film, but this soundtrack is an underrated gem in Aesop's dense, amazing catalog.

Day 4 / 2024.S7.E4 - Why are there so many like this? (どうしてこんな物が多くあるん?)
Play a record that has at least four vinyl variants (LP color, pressing, etc.).

Dua Lipa - Radical Optimism

IMG_7275.jpeg

I’m seeing about 8 different variants (different colors, cover art) in the US

In Yokohama, the Cup Noodles Museum is a popular tourist attraction for its cheap entrance fee and, of course, the ability to customize your own instant cup noodles! Very popular with families, and I made sure to have one customized at the end of the museum. Cup Noodles was invented in 1971 by Momofuku Ando (安藤百福), and is often referenced as one of the greatest inventions in history. Even with the various flavors and varieties available, I sometimes can’t taste a difference. Play a record that has at least four vinyl variants (LP color, pressing, etc.).

Rina Sawayama (サワヤマ・リナ) - SAWAYAMA

20240704_114555.jpg

Born in Niigata (新潟), she doesn't sing in Japanese anywhere on her debut LP.

There are LP editions in gold (this one), green, cosmic green swirl, and deluxe 2xLP gatefold editions with alt artwork.

Day 2 / 2024.S7.E2 - A Once in a Lifetime Opportunity (一期一会)
Let's set the scene. Summer 2011, late evening. Standing in the kitchen doing dishes, wearing Bose headphones plugged into my Droid, listening to Last.FM Radio (RIP to the radio function; goddamn did I discover some great artists on that Radio. I know they have the "radio" function thru Youtube and Spotify, but it just doesn't feel the same. ANYWAYS).
Song ends and goes into the next one. No musical intro, no instruments. Straight into vocals.

Many years back, when these old oaks were young,
Not long after the Northmen had come,
A low and evil deed was done
In the dark of the New Forest.

From the shores of Normandy, King William came
To Albion fair, King Harold to slay.
With greed in his heart and his scurrilous claim,
He took the land for his own.
Immediately caught my ear. I was hooked. I was a British History major getting ready to start my senior year of college. My focus for my (upcoming) Capstone Course? 1066. The Battle of Hastings. William. Harold. Fate? No. Last.FM Radio just fuckin' rocked.

IMG_7460.jpeg

Day 4 - Variant Queen
Taylor Swift - Folklore
I was surprised this one wasn’t taken yet!
I thought about playing Taylor earlier (probably Midnights or TTPD) but I decided on something different…

Day 4: Why Are There So Many Like This?

Monophonics
- It’s Only Us

IMG_8727.jpeg

From what I remember, there were 4 different front sleeve covers & the first run was pressed onto random vinyl, of which I managed to get bright green!

Aesop Rock – Bushwick (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
View attachment 207698

Aesop Rock is pretty revered for his lyrical prowess but seldom seems to receive the same accolades for his beats. Fortunately the makers of Bushwick realized he's got something special there as well, and tasked him to score their movie. The music is frenetic, moody and magnificent. I've never seen the film, but this soundtrack is an underrated gem in Aesop's dense, amazing catalog.
Not a bad movie actually.

Play a record that has at least four vinyl variants (LP color, pressing, etc.).

Originally released on LP in the US in multiple color variants -

For some reason, users on Discogs thought it was for the best to merge the "Orange" and "Peach" variants. The colors are close, but they were marketed as different colors.

Smashing Pumpkins ‎– Siamese Dream
Caroline Records ‎– CAROL 1740 1, 1993

Original US pressing - limited peach marbled variant

Cut at Masterdisk
Pressed at Rainbo

p6Sy6Cq.jpg

CaMw2vF.jpg

R-1964222-1469989273-8996.jpg

Last edited:

Childhood Memories, huh? And it's gotta be a soundtrack? I think I can do that.... What better than the soundtrack of one of my
most played video games growing up?

Jammin' Sam Miller - Donkey Kong Country OST
IMG_7461.jpeg

Day 5 / 2024.S7.E5 - Simplicity (単純)
Play a record that gives you cause for you to think over the course of its runtime. It does not necessarily have to be an ambient/minimal record, but rather something that allows you to reflect on what you are hearing.

The soundtrack to the collapse of our global climate system.

Even more impactful when you listen with the accompanying film.

Please give this your 43:26...

Daniel Bachman - Almanac Behind

IMG_5826.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 5 / 2024.S7.E5 - Simplicity (単純)
Play a record that gives you cause for you to think over the course of its runtime. It does not necessarily have to be an ambient/minimal record, but rather something that allows you to reflect on what you are hearing.

Kamasi Washington - Fearless Movement

Kamasi records always feel like a musical journey. I can’t help but sit back, and let the music take me where it wants to.

IMG_7023.jpeg

Day 05: Simplicity (単純)

Steve Hiett - Down On The Road By The Beach
IMG_5062.jpeg

More renowned in the fashion sphere, English photographer and graphic designer, Steve Hiett spent much of the 1970s and 1980s living in Paris working for Vogue and Marie Claire magazines. In 1982, representatives from Tokyo’s Galerie Watari visited him to propose a solo exhibition. Asking if he could insert a 7” of original music into the back of the exhibition catalogue, Hiett laid down ‘Blue Beach – Welcome To Your Beach’ in a Parisian radio station, playing all of the instruments himself, and two more cuts in New York with Yoko Ono, The Doobie Brothers and Steely Dan hired-gun Elliot Randall. Once dispatched, the phone began ringing off the hook with requests for him to fly to Tokyo. Assuming these long-distance callers were wanting him to check proofs for the book, it wasn’t until he arrived that he discovered CBS/Sony had facilitated an entire album. Heitt hastily gripped some petty cash, bought a guitar and retreated to his hotel room to start writing.

Entering the studio the following day, he was further surprised by a waiting room of session players known as Moonriders – one of Japan’s most acclaimed rock bands of the 1980s. Intimidated by their indecipherable sheet music, Hiett suggested Randall join them and with money being no object for major labels at the time, his wingman was on the next plane out of New York to finalize the high production indulgence.

Originally this record was only released in Japan. Thankfully it was recently reissued worldwide.

Back