2024 July Challenge Thread - Welcome to Japan! (日本へようこそ!)

Day 9 / 2024.S7.E9 - A Crowded Trek (混んでいた旅)
Play a record that is at least 90min long.
Aki Takahashi - Piano Space
1720584772780.png
3x 60+ minute LPs of 20th-century modernist solo piano. not something i break out all that often but it really is an achievement! appreciate having an enticement to revisit (not sure i'll make it through all three LPs tonight though...)

Attachments

• 1720584805257.png
    1720584805257.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
Day 06 - In another season… (別な季節に)
Play a record that pairs well with autumn/fall.

Kikagaku Moyo - Forrest Of Lost Children
IMG_5933.jpeg

This album strikes an autumnal tone. It was also a record I picked up at an early October Kikagaku Moyo show in fact it was the night they released Masana Temples but since I already had that album preordered. I picked up this album instead.

Day 07: Everything, Everywhere All at Once (万事、随所同時に)
Play a record featuring over the top production or that doesn’t let up from start to finish.

Masayoshi Takanaka - An Insatiable High
IMG_5935.jpeg

Masayoshi’s immense guitar skill is highlighted by the talented LA session musicians; Including the great Patrice Rushen and current SNL bandleader Lenny Pickett.

July 10 - Play a record you enjoy that maybe the general consensus has a mixed (or even negative!) impression on

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Ghosteen

Not sure if it quite fits, but I think this more than any other Nick Cave album seems to split fans with its ambient/electronic instrumentation over spoken word vocals. I am in the ‘like’ camp. Nick could read the phone book accompanied by bag pipes and I think it would sound great.
IMG_0405.jpg

Day 08: No Music, No Life (音楽なし、生活なし)
Play a record that you recently purchased from your local record store.

Haruomi Hosono - Pacific
IMG_5936.jpeg

I routinely check my local’s (Hi-Voltage Records) restock list online so when gems like this Haruomi Hosono photo-city pop classic (that’s tough to find in the US) shows up I am ready to pounce.

Day 09: A Crowded Trek (混んでいた旅)
Play a record that is at least 90min long.

Nirvana - Live In Tokyo, Japan (Nakano Sunplaza - February 19, 1992)
IMG_5938.jpeg

I didn’t measure the runtime but even at two discs, I doubt Nirvana played a show that was over 90 minutes. Thankfully this albums was part of the Nevermind box set that includes three more live shows along with the studio album. When combined it would exceeds 90 minutes.

Day 10: Ten People, Ten Colors (十人十色)
Play a record you enjoy that maybe the general consensus has a mixed (or even negative!) impression on. Maybe even the N&G consensus!
The Rolling Stones - Black And Blue
IMG_5939.jpeg

The Stones have had peaks and valleys over their epic career as a band. While I enjoy pretty much their entire 1970s output most would consider the string of albums released between 1972’s Exile on Main St. and 1978’s Some Girls to be a bit middling…they would be wrong.

Day 10 / 2024.S7.E10 - Ten People, Ten Colors (十人十色)
This is mentaiko (明太子; spicy pollack roe), the first food I tasted in Japan. I asked the waiter in this izakaya for a recommendation, and he suggested it. While I enjoy it and certainly don’t mind having it as part of a Japanese meal, my younger brother and father were grossed out after the first bite. Relating to the episode title, it is a Japanese proverb meaning that in a diverse world that we have, everyone has the right to their own opinions; “to each their own.” Play a record you enjoy that maybe the general consensus has a mixed (or even negative!) impression on. Maybe even the N&G consensus!

Yuko Tomita (とみたゆう子) - Shampoo

20240710_151043.jpg

Probably created an unideal prompt for today.
I don't have many sources for this, only that Tomita's RYM artist page has this listed at a 2.90, one of her lowest rated by users...when I think it is her best work. Generally, a rating of 3.0 (out of 5.0) or less on RYM is seen as unfavorable. Granted, she's not at all the first name one would think of in the city pop/technokayo scene.
The self-titled track has been sampled frequently in vaporwave.

Day 10: Ten People, Ten Colors

What a fitting album to play for that prompt title, given how many variants this album has (its not that many, but I like to exaggerate).

Taylor Swift - Midnights

IMG_8743.jpeg

This is my favourite Taylor Swift album. …apparently, that’s not a popular opinion. :LOL:

Last edited:
Day 10: Ten People, Ten Colors (十人十色)
Play a record you enjoy that maybe the general consensus has a mixed (or even negative!) impression on. Maybe even the N&G consensus!

Ramones - Animal Boy

Seems that most of the Ramones’ discography wasn’t well received post Road to Ruin. But I actually like most of their 80’s output 💁🏻‍♂️

IMG_7090.jpeg

Last edited:
Back