2024 July Challenge Thread - Welcome to Japan! (日本へようこそ!)

This month's challenge is really up my alley. Many years ago, I lived in Japan for almost 2 years, and have fond memories. I really hope to get back there someday soon! I also have a LOT of photos, pre-digital, that I need to get sorted someday. Perhaps this thread will inspire me to do something about that.

PXL_20240712_224302095.jpg
PXL_20240712_224232697.jpg

Day 1 / 2024.S7.E1 - Welcome to Japan! (日本へようこそ!)
Even on my first trip (this picture is the first I took on this year’s trip), culture shock was real. Everything moves quickly, processes are streamlined, and first time travelers are easy to spot. Play a record with something related to Japan (artist born there or has Japanese heritage; Japanese culture/building/food present on cover, was recorded in Japan, Japanese lyrics, etc.).

I bought this while I lived there. I don't have it on vinyl, but it looks like the band is still going...

PXL_20240712_225225044.NIGHT.jpg

Day 12: A Unique Creature (個性的な生き物)
Play a record that has less than 300 copies in “Have” across all LP variants on

YMO - BGM
View attachment 208315

According to Discogs there are only 109 people that own this lovely album.

Take 2…

Play a record that has less than 300 copies in “Have” across all LP variants on

Money Mark - Stand Up For Your Rice
IMG_5962.jpeg

Money Mark dropped this “Japan only” release in 2007 due a crooked ex-business manager who signed a contract with out Mark's knowledge, then took the money and ran, leaving Mark legally required to release the album exclusively in Japan, but unable to make any money from it.

According to Discogs. There are only 140 copies owned…total…across all vinyl pressings…and CD.

Many years ago, I lived in Japan for almost 2 years, and have fond memories. I really hope to get back there someday soon! I also have a LOT of photos, pre-digital, that I need to get sorted someday.
I might have to ask you a couple of questions via DM. I have to go to work soon for the start of the workweek, but I'll try to get in contact sometime next week when I have a moment.

Day 2 / 2024.S7.E2 - A Once in a Lifetime Opportunity (一期一会)
Being in Kenrokuen (兼六園) was unlike any other outdoor space I have set foot in, nothing compared to its sheer scope, beauty, and tranquility (when there were spaces free of talkative tourists). It seemed that no matter where you were standing in the space of the historic garden, the possibility of taking a fantastic photo was highly probable. One of the most impressive places that I’ve ever seen in my life. Play a record that became important to you on first listen (or shortly after).

Keeping with the Japan theme, my journey there was hopefully not a once in a lifetime opportunity, but it certainly seemed like it at the time. There are many amazing outdoor spaces, many perfectly manicured, others perfectly wild. Here are some "wild" photos from Minoh Park north of Osaka. The colors remind me of my favorite album.
Minoo3.jpg
Minoo2.jpg

This is my go-to album for whenever I want rid rid myself of earworms. I played this countless times and it is always is the most impressive album for me.

Herbie Hancock - Headhunters

PXL_20240713_000121647.jpg

Last edited:
Day 3 / 2024.S7.E3 - Childhood Memories (子供時代の思い出)
Stopping into a Studio Ghibli store is a common tourist spending drain…especially with the rapid depreciation of the JPY 💴 ➡️ USD 💵 . Everything from pot holders, tees, stuffed animals, enamel pins, mugs, you name it. There’s are a bevy of Ghibli stores in the country, this one was taken from when visiting Kamakura (鎌倉) during the last few days of this year’s visit. It even has multiple floors to hold all of the stock. Play a soundtrack.

One of the most culture shockingly things I encountered was the sheer number of people... shopping. Here is the literal mile of pedestrian shopping street in Osaka, starting with the famous Glico Man. They change the outfit on the neon man every year or so, this year they commemorated the World Cup, which was hosted by Japan & Korea that year.

glico man.jpg
Osaka Shopping.jpg

And a person that orchestrated soundtracks that certainly would generate more than its fair share of "pot holders, tees, stuffed animals, enamel pins, mugs..."

John Williams: A Life In Music

PXL_20240713_004541222.NIGHT.jpg

Day 11
IMG_9285.jpeg
Reyna Tropical - Malegria

A strong contender for my album of the year. This album is a meditation on grief and being displaced. At night that melancholy seeps through in the emotional content of the lyrics and vocal performances. During the day, its upbeat tempos and exotic nature feel like sunshine and summer. It lives up to its title.

Day 12 / 2024.S7.E12 - A Unique Creature (個性的な生き物)
Play a record that has less than 300 copies in “Have” across all LP variants on Discogs.

• Have: 294
  • Want: 162
  • Avg Rating: 4.87 / 5
  • Ratings: 23
  • Last Sold: May 9, 2024
  • Low:$180.00
  • Median:$307.59
  • High:$450.00

The Allman Brothers Band - Trouble No More 50th Anniversary 10 LP Box Set

This is an actual wood box. Matches the organic music of The Allmans...

IMG_5881.jpeg

Day 13 / 2024.S7.E13 - An Eternal Festival (永遠な祭り)
Play a record featuring an LGBT artist or artist/band that has a core LGBT audience.

Bob was outed in the early 90's. That puts so many of his songs preceding that in a different context.

One of my favorite artists ever. One of my favorite records ever...

Bob Mould - Black Sheets Of Rain

IMG_5882.jpeg

Play a record that has less than 300 copies in “Have” across all LP variants on Discogs
Shuta Hasunuma & U-Zhaan – 2 Tone
1720850027271.png
i'm one of 62 who have filed this lovely melding of electronic music and tabla, which features guest turns by two of my heroes, arto lindsay and ryuichi sakamoto

Day 3 / 2024.S7.E3 - Childhood Memories (子供時代の思い出)
Stopping into a Studio Ghibli store is a common tourist spending drain…especially with the rapid depreciation of the JPY 💴 ➡️ USD 💵 . Everything from pot holders, tees, stuffed animals, enamel pins, mugs, you name it. There’s are a bevy of Ghibli stores in the country, this one was taken from when visiting Kamakura (鎌倉) during the last few days of this year’s visit. It even has multiple floors to hold all of the stock. Play a soundtrack.

One of the most culture shockingly things I encountered was the sheer number of people... shopping. Here is the literal mile of pedestrian shopping street in Osaka, starting with the famous Glico Man. They change the outfit on the neon man every year or so, this year they commemorated the World Cup, which was hosted by Japan & Korea that year.

View attachment 208330
View attachment 208331

And a person that orchestrated soundtracks that certainly would generate more than its fair share of "pot holders, tees, stuffed animals, enamel pins, mugs..."

John Williams: A Life In Music

View attachment 208338
Some excellent choices and photos @cul8er please keep sharing your nice photos of Japan.

Day 4 / 2024.S7.E4 - Why are there so many like this? (どうしてこんな物が多くあるん?)
In Yokohama, the Cup Noodles Museum is a popular tourist attraction for its cheap entrance fee and, of course, the ability to customize your own instant cup noodles! Very popular with families, and I made sure to have one customized at the end of the museum. Cup Noodles was invented in 1971 by Momofuku Ando (安藤百福), and is often referenced as one of the greatest inventions in history. Even with the various flavors and varieties available, I sometimes can’t taste a difference. Play a record that has at least four vinyl variants (LP color, pressing, etc.).

I ate many a instant noodle cups/bowls while I was there. I could not find any pictures of ramen in my pile. One of the great things are convenience stores, 7/11, Family Mart, Lawson were all visited frequently. Yes, they have 7/11! You could get cup noodles of many varieties, and they were good! Also one of my favorite convenient store pick ups was Onigiri. They are cooked rice with various fillings ranging from sweet bean paste to unidentifiable fish.

Here's a semi-relevant pic of sake rice wine barrels often found near temples. Each barrel is a different variant, if you will.

rice wine barrels.jpg

On to the challenge....

1720889244987.png

Courtney Barnett - Things Take Time, Take Time
I have the "All Eyes On The Pavement Blue" variant.

PXL_20240713_165052818.MP.jpg

Day 5 / 2024.S7.E5 - Simplicity (単純)
Japanese art often focuses on minimalism…preventing the background distracting from the subject as much as possible. Sometimes a simple subject is all that is necessary to convey a message. Play a record that gives you cause for you to think over the course of its runtime. It does not necessarily have to be an ambient/minimal record, but rather something that allows you to reflect on what you are hearing.

The minimal aspect is frequent among Japanese culture. It has to be since there are so many people living in tight spaces. But they take care to carve out peaceful gardens to contemplate. Here's a dragon fountain I stumbled across somewhere.

dragon fountain.jpg

My album choice fits more in this category than the pic, very minimalistic artwork. All of the text from the back cover, to the record labels, to the inserts, and to the front is all mashed together on the front cover. Funny note (at least to me) is when I updated the entry on discogs, I took a pic of every blank page of the album and uploaded it. I won't repost them here though lol.

Hot Chip - A Bath Full Of Ecstasy

PXL_20240713_172818128.jpg
PXL_20240713_172728771.jpg

Day 6 / 2024.S7.E6 - In another season… (別な季節に)
Maruyama Park (円山公園) was a beautiful respite last year…right before the tourist chaos of Kiyomizu Temple (清水寺) with its winding, uneven walkways and shops from end to end. As lovely as the park was, seeing the red colors juxtaposed against the remainder of scenery had me thinking that the park's appearance could transform entirely in autumn, especially since our group missed the prime of sakura season. Play a record that pairs well with autumn/fall.

For those wanting the true historical Japan, you definitely need to make Kyoto part of your travel plans. Kiyomizu is iconic, as well as Kinkaku-ji (golden temple). I am certain I have pics of these somewhere, I just can't find them at the moment.

Budda agrees... holding your liver up in the air is great fun!
statue with fall leaf.jpg

This was obviously taken in spring, but these temples are everywhere.
temple spring.jpg

Speaking of "iconic" and "golden"
AND floods happen in fall...

Screenshot_20240713-141607.png

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble - Texas Flood
PXL_20240713_182233728.jpg

Ok.. i'm quite behind. I just scrolled thru pages but please let me know if i'm duplicating someone's albums.

Day 4 / 2024.S7.E4 - Why are there so many like this? (どうしてこんな物が多くあるん?)
Play a record that has at least four vinyl variants (LP color, pressing, etc.).

OK - i myself had 4-5 different pressings of this album. I only have 2 left after I started to get rid of my duplicates. This one is a 1964 Mono version.

20240713_163751.jpg

Back