2024 July Challenge Thread - Welcome to Japan! (日本へようこそ!)

Day 10 / 2024.S7.E10 - Ten People, Ten Colors (十人十色)
Play a record you enjoy that maybe the general consensus has a mixed (or even negative!) impression on. Maybe even the N&G consensus!

I've always liked this album since it was released.

It seemed at the time that most people didn't like the album more because they cut their hair rather than actually disliking the music.

Metallica – Load
Elektra – 61923-1, 1996

Cut at Sterling Sound
Pressed at Specialty Records Corporation

0il2NqW.jpg

oszhyyo.jpg

Play a record you enjoy that maybe the general consensus has a mixed (or even negative!) impression on. Maybe even the N&G consensus!

I've always liked this album since it was released.

It seemed at the time that most people didn't like the album more because they cut their hair rather than actually disliking the music.

Metallica – Load
Elektra – 61923-1, 1996

Cut at Sterling Sound
Pressed at Specialty Records Corporation

0il2NqW.jpg

oszhyyo.jpg
I did have some buddies who said they sold out by cutting their hair and didn't buy this album as a result.

Day 10
IMG_9264.jpeg
Pet Shop Boys - Behaviour

I struggled with this one a bit. I remember when the new one came out (which I have on CD and I suppose I could have played…). People were like this sounds like a Pet Shop Boys album…. Well this is the one with Being Boring on it. Anyhow a band that at the very least doesn’t get heralded around these parts much anyhow. (Would have worked for today’s prompt too)

Day 11 / 2024.S7.E11 - The Starry Sky (星空)
Play a record that resonates differently at nighttime hours.

Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus

I was planning on playing something different for this prompt, but this was already on the turntable. Poured myself a glass of whiskey and the music is hitting just right.

IMG_7105.jpeg

My father took this photo after we got drinks + yakitori in a bar in Kobe (神戸). The perfect conditions were cast down on the Mosaic District in Kobe along with this starry sky: warm temp, no wind, only a few tourists, and the calm port of Kobe made for a scenic wonder, even with the urban surroundings. I only wish that we took a ride in the ferris wheel here during these hours. Play a record that resonates differently at nighttime hours.

Hinako Omori (大森日向子) - ...a journey

20240711_231314.jpg

A beauty of an LP from tip to tail. Ethereal, lush, soothing, and enveloping. I thought about listening to this during the night hours at the Asakusa hotel this year...I might try next year.

This is just a mindless, straight ahead rock record that comes across as a mix of AC/DC and Aerosmith with a hint of self-deprecating humor. I love it...

The Four Horsemen - Nobody Said It Was Easy

IMG_5868.jpeg

Play a record that resonates differently at nighttime hours.

Since I work night shift I don't really know if I should play something that I listen to during the day time, since this would be my "nighttime". But I suppose I'll play something that I listen to on my drives to and from work...which is usually in the dark (except in July when it's still light out after 9:30 pm when I'm driving into work)

I've recently gotten into this band again...playing an album a few weeks ago, but mostly streaming their discography while I play games or drive to work. I just got their debut EP last week to fill a gap.

Protest The Hero – A Calculated Use Of Sound
Sheet Happens Publishing – SHV-058, 2003/2024

Limited to 1000

Pressed at Precision/GZ

L92wOA6.jpg

lDR1FVA.jpg

Day 12 / 2024.S7.E12 - A Unique Creature (個性的な生き物)
These giant salamanders are vulnerable to extinction, and are the first thing that you see after walking through the entrance at the Kyoto Aquarium. I’ve never seen these creatures before in my life, and the tank seemed way too cramped for an animal of its size. The aquarium wants to hammer home how rare this species is by shoving a bunch of giant salamander merch down your throat at the gift shop at the end…could’ve sworn about a quarter of the available purchasable products were of that variety. Play a record that has less than 300 copies in “Have” across all LP variants on Discogs.

Satoshi Suzuki (鈴木慧) - Distant Travel Companion (遠い旅の同行者)

20240712_124907.jpg

This compilation of Suzuki's music fits in the space between city pop, minimal synth, bossa nova, jazz, and kayokyoku (歌謡曲). It is quite different, and isn't necessarily for those who like city pop, with the obi stating that the denomination of genres are parsed as 40% jazz, 30% soul, 20% Brazil, and 10% kayokyoku.
With this music originally released in the late 80s, it a private press from a boutique label (Incidental Music) in Portland, OR.

The compilation reissue that I own with 78 that "have" in Discogs:
SatoshiSuzuki1.PNG

The original album/cover with different tracklist that 17 "have" on Discogs:
SatoshiSuzuki2.PNG

Last edited:
Day 12 / 2024.S7.E12 - A Unique Creature (個性的な生き物)
Play a record that has less than 300 copies in “Have” across all LP variants on Discogs.

Without having to look at a bunch of submissions, I picked this one since it's a somewhat obscure private press.

Kinda psych-country-folk-singer songwriter - it's hard to place into one genre.

27 people "have" this only LP release listed on Discogs.

Screenshot 2024-07-12 132342.jpg

Spencer / Miller – Face To Face
Wonder Y Records – none, 1974

Cut at Nashville Record Productions

MlLWuHc.jpg

Lbx0HL8.jpg

Back