Back In The Day: The Billboard Modern Rock Charts From 35 Years Ago

The next summer when Batman came out on VHS, I wore out that tape. Either that or I recorded it off HBO and wore out that tape. I must've watched it every weekday since I was a latchkey kid who was left to his own devices all summer.
My parents were divorced and my Dad moved away for work so we would only see him one weekend a month when he would pick us up and take to our Grandparents house who lived in town, we’d stay with them all for the weekend and it was always a bit of a struggle to keep us entertained for the full weekend. They did buy a few VHS tapes and we watched them every time we were there. The two we watched the most often were Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Batman. I can probably still recite both movies word-for-word.

The summer of 1989 was just magical for movies. Batman, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Dead Poets Society, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Ghostbusters 2(yeah yeah, but that Bobby Brown song), Lethal Weapon 2, The Abyss, When Harry Met Sally, Road House, Do the Right Thing, Licensed to Kill, Parenthood, Turner and Hooch.
Also, Back To The Future 2.

Yeah, and being an 8 year old kid in 1989 was pretty great as a result.

Modern Rock Tracks for Week Ending 07/08/1989
IMG_5459.jpeg
No. 1 Song
Love and Rockets - “So Alive”

Tracks that fell out of the top 30
The Godfathers - “She Gives Me Love”
The Cult - “Fire Woman”
Elvis Costello - “…This Town”
Swans - “Saved”
Pixies - “Money Gone To Heaven”

New Additions
Indio - “Hard Sun”

Boris Grebenshikov - “Radio Silence”

Chris Isaak - “Don’t Make Me Dream About You”

U2 - “Everlasting Love”

I know who Chris Isaak and U2 are but I am unfamiliar with those tracks. The videos compliment each other nicely. In fact the Chris Isaak video feels like “Wicked Games, Pt. 2”

I am unfamiliar with Indio or Boris Grebenshikov. Indio is apparently a Canadian artists so my guess is @jamieanderson1968 probably knows all about him

Boris Grebenshikov seems to be pretty interested, not only is the song really good but apparently he was a Rock God in his native USSR. It’s weird to think that the Soviet Union was on its last leg at this point. I also found an official music video for “Radio Silence” but is pretty run of the mill. Instead I chose a video of his American Television Debut on Late Night with David Letterman that initially aired on Friday, July 14, 1989 a little less than a week shy of 35 years ago. It’s a nice time capsule where Dave interviews Boris after his performance.

I know who Chris Isaak and U2 are but I am unfamiliar with those tracks. The videos compliment each other nicely. In fact the Chris Isaak video feels like “Wicked Games, Pt. 2”

I am unfamiliar with Indio or Boris Grebenshikov. Indio is apparently a Canadian artists so my guess is @jamieanderson1968 probably knows all about him

Boris Grebenshikov seems to be pretty interested, not only is the song really good but apparently he was a Rock God in his native USSR. It’s weird to think that the Soviet Union was on its last leg at this point. I also found an official music video for “Radio Silence” but is pretty run of the mill. Instead I chose a video of his American Television Debut on Late Night with David Letterman that initially aired on Friday, July 14, 1989 a little less than a week shy of 35 years ago. It’s a nice time capsule where Dave interviews Boris after his performance.
Pretty much a one-man band. And one-record band as well. I barely remember the "big" single from it

Modern Rock Tracks for Week Ending 07/15/1989
IMG_5460.jpeg
No. 1 Song
Love and Rockets - “So Alive”

Tracks that fell out of the top 30
Concrete Blonde - “God Is A Bullet”
Tom Tom Club - “Suboceana”
Stan Ridgeway - “Goin’ Southbound”
Clan of Xymox - “Obsession”
Royal Crescent Mob “Hungry”

New Additions
B-52’s - “Channel Z”