Best Music 🎶 of 2024!

Well, July kind if got away from me, increase in anxiety lead to an increase in anxiety meds lead to a self referral for CBT (no, not cock and ball torture!) Here's what I got for July:

best_of_the_year_2024-07.png

Best of 2024! July!
  • Alva NotoHYbr:ID III
  • SuperpositionII
  • OrcasHow to Color a Thousand Mistakes
  • Elori SaxlDrifts and Surfaces
  • BacchaeNext Time

I really didn't listen to a lot of new stuff last month and this month isn't looking much better either :(

Weird year for me. Both in that I spent half of it unemployed and spent less time around here than anytime since joining in 2016 and that I've struggled to connect with many albums and havent paid nearly close as attention to releases.

Here's where I'm at before I start digging through this thread:

Tier 1:

1) St Vincent: All Born Screaming
2) JpegMafia: I Lay Down My Life for You
3) Mannequin Pussy: I Got Heaven
4) Magdelena Bay: Imaginal Disk

Tier II:
5) Idles: Tangk
6) The Smile: Wall of Eyes
7) Sprints: Letter to Self
8) Nadine Shah: Filthy Underneath
9) Brittany Howard: What Now

Tier III:
10) Remi Wolf: Big Ideas (just discovered this released though and could see it being a grower)
11) Beth Gibbons: Lives Outgrown
12),Charli XCX: Brat
13) Vince Staples: Dark Times

Normally, this list would be at least 30 deep by now. Peeps who know my taste-- what am I missing?

Last edited:
Weird year for me. Both in that I spent half of it unemployed and spent less time around here than anytime since joining in 2016 and that I've struggled to connect with many albums and havent paid nearly close as attention to releases.

Tier 1:

Tier II:
7) Nadine Shah: Filthy Underneath
8) Sprints: Letter to Self

Tier III:
10) Remi Wolf: Big Ideas (just discovered this released though and could see it being a grower)
12) Vince Staples: Dark Times

Normally, this list would be at least 30 deep by now. Peeps who know my taste-- what am I missing?
Sorry I don't know, but what's your taste?

Tier 1:

3) Magdelena Bay: Imaginal Disk
4) Mannequin Pussy: I Got Heaven

Tier II:

Tier III:

The new Chime School is nice. Jangly guitars with some brit pop feel at times.

I like a little bit of everything except country & bluegrass.
Same 👊
Picky with metal in that I need a bit of melody (ISIS, Deafhaven, Baroness).
The new Ulcerate album Cutting The Throat Of God is their most melodic yet (melodic death metal). Best metal release of the year still, IMO.
Bread and butter is indie rock, hip-hop and downtempo electronic / house.
The new Iron and Wine album Light Verse is pretty good (for your indie rock fix). Aside from the new JPEGMAFIA album, the only other hip-hop album I've really enjoyed is the new Denzel Curry, King Of the Mischievous South Vol. 2. It's been a pretty bad year for new releases, IMO, especially hip-hop so far.. though most others on here would likely disagree 🤷‍♂️

Others I've loved from this year that don't really fit your bread and butter: Lustmord Much Unseen Is Also Here (Dark Ambient, Drone), Julia Holter Something In The Room She Moves (Art Pop, Experimental), and Arab Strap I'm totally fine with it 👍 don't give a fuck anymore 👍 (Post-Punk, Synthpop, Darkwave)

That's all I've really got to recommend based on your tastes and not repeating the ones you've already mentioned. Sept and Oct are looking STACKED though. Hoping for a strong finish to the rest of the year ✌️
Here's my favs of last decade list which should make my tendencies pretty clear-

Tier 1:

Tier II:

Tier III:

I am a big Indie Rock person but nothing listed here would necessarily make my year end list so I don’t know if my suggestions would help but here are some of albums that I’ve dug in 2024 thus far.

Horse Jumper Of Love - Disaster Trick
Ben Seretan - Allora
Laughing - Because It’s True
Wand - Vertigo
Idaho - Lapse
O. - Weirdos
Been Stellar - Scream From New York
This Is Lorelei - Box For Buddy, Box For Star
Jimmy Montague - Tomorrow’s Coffee
Jessica Pratt - Here in The Pinch
Liquid Mike - Paul Bunyan’s Slingshot
Rosali - Bite Down
Waxahatchee - Tigers Blood
Ducks Ltd. - Harm’s Way
Real Estate - Daniel

Last edited:

Tier 1:

Tier II:

Tier III:

Records I have continued to really enjoy and play frequently this year:

DIIV
Fontaines DC
Bill Ryder-Jones
Starflyer 59
Wishy
Idaho
Redd Kross
Crowded House
Ducks Ltd
Smashing Pumpkins
Dua Lipa
Los Campesinos
Chime School
Yard Act
Liquid Mike
Waxahatchee
Real Estate
Cola
Vampire Weekend
Empress Of

Last edited:
I am a big Indie Rock person but nothing listed here would necessarily make my year end list so I don’t know if my suggestions would help but here are some of albums that I’ve dug in 2024 thus far.

Horse Jumper Of Love -
Disaster Trick
Ben Seretan - Allora
Laughing - Because It’s True
Wand - Vertigo
Idaho - Lapse
O. - Weirdos
Been Stellar - Scream From New York
This Is Lorelei - Box For Buddy, Box For Star
Jimmy Montague - Tomorrow’s Coffee
Jessica Pratt - Here in The Pinch
Liquid Mike - Paul Bunyan’s Slingshot
Rosali - Bite Down
Waxahatchee - Tigers Blood
Ducks Ltd. - Harm’s Way
Real Estate - Daniel
Hell yeah!

Tier 1:

Tier II:

Tier III:

I have time to provide a few recommendations.

As @musicjunkiegreg mentioned, Julia Holter's newest is excellent. It will be hard to beat out for 2024 top honors for me. I don't remember where you stand as an art pop listener, but I do remember that Aviary was one that didn't resonate as much with you as her prior two studio records. Yes, while it is similar to Aviary in scope, it is far more grounded...there is much more recognizable art pop sensibility in Something in the Room She Moves as a whole, in contrast to the abstract presentation across the majority of Aviary.

Have you tried Four Tet's Three? He's back in his bag, focusing in a downtempo direction. These tracks are far more immersive and enveloping, particularly the closing cut "Three Drums." Probably my favorite of his since the excellent There is Love in You.

I know you mentioned that you like Fugazi and the sound of nu-jazz (The Comet is Coming, Moses Boyd, Flying Lotus, etc.). With that, I can recommend the self-titled release of The Messthetics and James Brandon Lewis. This skirts lines of jazz, rock, and even a shade of hardcore punk (with bassist Joe Lally and drummer Brendan Canty). All with the tight pocket you'd expect from a Fugazi record.

It has been a lean year in hip-hop, though I do enjoy Boldy James & Nicolas Craven - Penalty of Leadership and Ka - The Thief Next to Jesus, with the latter having been released about a week ago.

Hope those help.

Last edited:
I have time to provide a few recommendations.

As @musicjunkiegreg mentioned, Julia Holter's newest is excellent. It will be hard to beat out for 2024 top honors for me. I don't remember where you stand as an art pop listener, but I do remember that Aviary was one that didn't resonate as much with you as her prior two studio records. Yes, while it is similar to Aviary in scope, it is far more grounded...there is much more recognizable art pop sensibility in Something in the Room She Moves as a whole, in contrast to the abstract presentation across the majority of Aviary.

Have you tried Four Tet's Three? He's back in his bag, focusing in a downtempo direction. These tracks are far more immersive and enveloping, particularly the closing cut "Three Drums." Probably my favorite of his since the excellent There is Love in You.

I know you mentioned that you like Fugazi and the sound of nu-jazz (The Comet is Coming, Moses Boyd, Flying Lotus, etc.). With that, I can recommend the self-titled release of The Messthetics and James Brandon Lewis. This skirts lines of jazz, rock, and even a shade of hardcore punk (with bassist Joe Lally and drummer Brendan Canty). All with the tight pocket you'd expect from a Fugazi record.

It has been a lean year in hip-hop, though I do enjoy Boldy James & Nicolas Craven - Penalty of Leadership and Ka - The Thief Next to Jesus, with the latter having been released about a week ago.

Hope those help.

Thanks for this- was hoping you'd chime in. Have You In My Wilderness and Loud City Song are both close to my heart so I'll definitely check out the new Holter and everything else you mention is accurate to my tastes.

And no, hadn't gotten to the new Four Tet but when they hit for me, they really hit.

Agree with everyone's assesment that it's been a weak year for rap (outside of the Jpeg which is easily my fav of his since Cornballs). Don't know if it's just harder for me to follow the genre than in the past (I've always thought Pitchfork has awful taste in rap for example) or if the genre is going through a lull due to Gen Z's lack of interest in what came before. I lean towards the latter though because AlbumoftheYear is my main guide at this point and there's not much in their top 100 from the genre.

Same is true of electronic for that matter (probably because the genre has mived away from an emphasis on albums), but I'm looking forward to the new Caribou as they never miss and I have tickets to their tour.

chart - 2024-09-02T003408.281.png

ALBUMS:
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard – Flight b741
Michael & The Mighty Midnight Revival – Songs For Sinners & Saints
Zeal & Ardor – GREIF
Laurie Anderson – Amelia
Jon Hopkins – Ritual
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – Wild God
Meshell Ndegeocello – No More Water: The Gospel Of James Baldwin
Gillian Welch & David Rawlings – Woodland
Heems – VEENA
EPs:
Dominique Fils-Aimé – Nameless Remixes
Chelsea Wolfe – Undone EP
Lily Meola – Heartbreak Rodeo

best_of_the_year_2024-08.png

Best of 2024! August!
  • Nick Cave & The Bad SeedsWild God
  • Yui Onodera1982
  • Zeal & ArdorGreif
  • NailsEvery Bridge Burning
  • Lia KohlNormal Sounds
  • Spirit Of The BeehiveYou’ll Have To Lose Something
  • Pneuma HagionFrom Beyond
  • Luna LiWhen A Thought Grows Wings

I had a few more I was going to include, but on reflection they were only there to make up the numbers and I really disliked them to be honest.

Back