Best Music šŸŽ¶ of 2024!

So the Tidal algorithm suggested this band "Don't Thank Me, Spank Me!" a few hours ago, I put it on to soundtrack my after-dinner walk in the neighborhood... and the algorithm totally hit it out of the park. So here I am sharing this.

So I had never heard of these guys, who are apparently out of Australia. Have they come up with you guys?

If I was going to use comparisons to describe the sound, I'd say it's a blend of the sexy funk of Janelle Monae, some harmonies reminiscent of Say She She, the punk attitude of the Go-Go's and the pop sensibilities of Olivia Newton-John. The album is varied, with funky numbers (Sandy), others that sound classic like Cindy Lee (Cover), there are guitars, horns, strings...

Anyway, here are some links:

So the Tidal algorithm suggested this band "Don't Thank Me, Spank Me!" a few hours ago, I put it on to soundtrack my after-dinner walk in the neighborhood... and the algorithm totally hit it out of the park. So here I am sharing this.

So I had never heard of these guys, who are apparently out of Australia. Have they come up with you guys?

If I was going to use comparisons to describe the sound, I'd say it's a blend of the sexy funk of Janelle Monae, some harmonies reminiscent of Say She She, the punk attitude of the Go-Go's and the pop sensibilities of Olivia Newton-John. The album is varied, with funky numbers (Sandy), others that sound classic like Cindy Lee (Cover), there are guitars, horns, strings...

This is what they say on their bandcamp. I think I kind of hit it bang on with my description, but coming at it from a different angle...

Their self-titled debut album packs a punch. ā€œThis album is basically a love affair between our greatest musical influences. We love girl bands from the 70s like the Runaways and the Slits for their attitude and badass-ery and girl power. We love the crass 80s pop/rock aesthetic. We love 90s RnB. We loved Britney Spears with all our hearts! And of course we couldnā€™t make an album without our parentsā€™ taste in music creeping in - you can hear some real ELO moments and Cate Ceberano themes going on.ā€

This is what they say on their bandcamp. I think I kind of hit it bang on with my description, but coming at it from a different angle...

Their self-titled debut album packs a punch. ā€œThis album is basically a love affair between our greatest musical influences. We love girl bands from the 70s like the Runaways and the Slits for their attitude and badass-ery and girl power. We love the crass 80s pop/rock aesthetic. We love 90s RnB. We loved Britney Spears with all our hearts! And of course we couldnā€™t make an album without our parentsā€™ taste in music creeping in - you can hear some real ELO moments and Cate Ceberano themes going on.ā€

Great vibes. Thanks for the heads up!

Back