Best Music 🎶 of 2024!

* = Still absorbing. I remain underwhelmed by the year at whole, normally this would be 40-50 albums deep this time of year. But I also admit not paying as close of attention as usual.

Tier 1:
1) St Vincent: All Born Screaming (alt-rock)
2) JpegMafia: I Lay Down My Life for You (experimental rap)
3) Mannequin Pussy: I Got Heaven (indie rock, pop-punk)
4) Magdelena Bay: Imaginal Disk (art pop)

Tier II:
5) Jamie XX: In Waves* (electronic)
6) Fontaines DC: Romance (alt rock)
7) Blood Incantation- Absolute Everywhere* (progressive metal)
8) Arooj Aftab: Night Reign (folk, jazz)
9) Idles: Tangk (alt rock)
10) Nadine Shah: Filthy Underneath (post punk, pop)
11) Nilifur Yanya: My Method Actor (indie rock)

Tier III:
12) The Smile: Wall of Eyes (indie rock)
13) Brittany Howard: What Now (indie rock)
14) Floating Points: Cascade* (trance)
15) Sprints: Letter to Self (post-punk)
16) Remi Wolf: Big Ideas (art pop)
17) Mount Kimbie: The Sunset Violet (shoe gaze, electronic)
18) MJ Lenderman- Manning Fireworks (indie rock)

Tier III:
19) Caribou: Honey* (progressive techno)
20) Wunderhorse: Midas* (alt-rock)
21) Four Tet: Three (downtempo electronic)
22) Beth Gibbons: Lives Outgrown (singer songwriter)
23) Charli XCX: Brat (pop)
24) Jack White: No Name* (garage rock)
25) Vince Staples: Dark Times (rap)
This year I liked something in the room she moves, all born screaming, big swimmer, one of a kind, ramona abd here in the pitch but nothing I've listened to this year is as good as expert in a dying field, hearts a glow, pompeii, giving the world away, prepleasure, flood, warm chris, sometimes forever and anywhere but here from 2022.

* = Still absorbing. I remain underwhelmed by the year at whole, normally this would be 40-50 albums deep this time of year. But I also admit not paying as close of attention as usual.

Tier 1:
2) JpegMafia: I Lay Down My Life for You (experimental rap)
3) Mannequin Pussy: I Got Heaven (indie rock, pop-punk)

Tier II:
6) Fontaines DC: Romance (alt rock)
7) Arooj Aftab: Night Reign (folk, jazz)
8) Idles: Tangk (alt rock)
9) Nadine Shah: Filthy Underneath (post punk, pop)
10) Nilifur Yanya: My Method Actor (indie rock)

Tier III:
11) The Smile: Wall of Eyes (indie rock)
12) Brittany Howard: What Now (indie rock)
13) Blood Incantation- Absolute Everywhere* (progressive metal)
14) Floating Points: Cascade* (trance)
15) Sprints: Letter to Self (post-punk)
17) Mount Kimbie: The Sunset Violet (shoe gaze, electronic)
18) MJ Lenderman- Manning Fireworks (indie rock)

Tier III:
19) Caribou: Honey* (progressive techno)
20) Wunderhorse: Midas* (alt-rock)
21) Four Tet: Three (downtempo electronic)
22) Beth Gibbons: Lives Outgrown (singer songwriter)
23) Charli XCX: Brat (pop)
24) Jack White: No Name* (garage rock)
I'm guessing 19 -25 is tier IV?

I'm guessing 19 -25 is tier IV?

Yes sir. Also, you should check out that Blood Incantation album cause I know you like harder rock. I am extremely pick with metal, but could see it winding up near the top of my list. Blends death metal with Pink Floyd / King Crimson / Phish styled prog rock with some modern electronic flourishes (ala mid-era Porcupine Tree).

Also, @RipCity, I initially forgot to include the Messthetics, but that album bops and I've put it in.

Last edited:
Be is a masterpiece. Everything else is good (Chocolate, Electric Circus) to subpar (pretty much everything else).
See I think Some Day It Will All Makes Sense is the masterpiece. chocolate is below that. Then Be. Then Circus. Everything else is either alright or bad - Universal Mind Control being the bottom of the barrel.

See I think Some Day It Will All Makes Sense is the masterpiece. chocolate is below that. Then Be. Then Circus. Everything else is either alright or bad - Universal Mind Control being the bottom of the barrel.

I'll go back to Some Day... if memory serves, the pirated copy of it that I had in college was of garbage sound quality. And with time, I've come to realize that a lot of the sample based hip-hop (usually my jam) that I wrote off during my early 20's was also stuff that I experienced via low quality torrents. In contast, Be came out during my sophomore year of college and numerous people had the CD laying around their apartment.

Yes sir. Also, you should check out that Blood Incantation album cause I know you like harder rock. I am extremely pick with metal, but could see it winding up near the top of my list. Blends death metal with Pink Floyd / King Crimson / Phish styled prog rock with some modern electronic flourishes (ala mid-era Porcupine Tree).

I was listening to this all morning. I like a lot of the "prog" doom metal. Dream Unending/Tomb Mold have been a fave and Blood Incantation gives me that vibe w/ more synths.

Ha! @Hollywood will just call it noise.. 😂

I just remember that he has harder, alt-rock tendencies.

Side note, I just took some functional mushrooms to get me through the end of the work week and put on Wall of Eyes to prep for the B-Sides album that just dropped today.... Um, this is my first listen to this thing in months and it's clicking hard. Radiohead is my favorite band of all-time but I don't listen to them very often now because I don't smoke weed anymore (unless at a concert) and have stopped falling asleep to music (to protect my ears). Maybe I just need to take more functional mushrooms.

Tier 1:
2) Mannequin Pussy: I Got Heaven (indie rock, pop-punk)
3) JpegMafia: I Lay Down My Life for You (experimental rap)

Tier II:
6) The Smile: Wall of Eyes (indie rock)
7) Fontaines DC: Romance (alt rock)
8) Blood Incantation- Absolute Everywhere* (progressive metal)
9) The Messthetics and James Brandon Lewis: Self Titled (nu-jazz)
10) Nadine Shah: Filthy Underneath (art rock/pop)
11) Idles: Tangk (alt rock)
12) Arooj Aftab: Night Reign (folk, jazz)

Tier III:
13) Nilifur Yanya: My Method Actor (indie rock)
14) Brittany Howard: What Now (indie rock)
15) Floating Points: Cascade* (trance)
17) Sprints: Letter to Self (post-punk)
18) Mount Kimbie: The Sunset Violet (shoe gaze, electronic)

Tier IV:
19) MJ Lenderman- Manning Fireworks (indie rock)
20) Caribou: Honey* (progressive techno)
21) Wunderhorse: Midas* (alt-rock)
22) Four Tet: Three (downtempo electronic)
23) Beth Gibbons: Lives Outgrown (singer songwriter)
24) Charli XCX: Brat (pop)
26) Jack White: No Name* (garage rock)

View attachment 215244
Your chart is the one I have most in common with out of everyone else's (from what I perceive) in this thread so far.

Functional mushrooms?

Some coffee companies will mix functional mushrooms into grounds and that's how I first tried them. Some brands are snake oil due to lack of regulations. But with good brands, I 100% feel a difference with my ADD and chronic fatigue.

What I took was this: (I used to work for them and their CBDs are all high quality, but this is my favorite because of how the mushrooms play with the CBD)

Some coffee companies will mix functional mushrooms into grounds and that's how I first tried them. Some brands are snake oil due to lack of regulations. But with good brands, I 100% feel a difference with my ADD and chronic fatigue.

What I took was this: (I used to work for them and their CBDs are all high quality, but this is my favorite because of how the mushrooms play with the CBD)

Watchout, @Nee Lewman , they might make your coffee... frothy 😎

I'm the same way and mostly have been for some time. I really don't listen to any Pop, Hip Hop, Metal, Electronic, Country. I just don't care for it too much and "stay in my lane" so to speak. There's nothing wrong with that personally, if you know what you like, you know what you like.

It's funny cause your specific lane (indie folk, folk adjacent, mellower indie rock) is the one type of music that I've moved away from. I used to listen to a ton of it (Iron & Wine, Bright Eyes were staples of HS, Grizzly Bear and Radiohead were THE favs in college), but I lost a bit of hearing from an ear infection and it's kind of ruined that type of music for me.

Electronic, punk, artsy pop & jazz are all in a great place. Alt-Rock seems to be making a bit of a come back and I'm here for it. Indie Rock less so (which is problematic given my leanings).

I think rap is in the middle of a rough patch. The "kids" have zero interest in what came before them. The millennial rappers are my favorite era, but Tyler, Kendrick and everyone are getting older and less productive. And the cloud rap sound has ruined the underground. I was at a major venue in Chicago for a day of music-- lineup was eclectic (I was there for Floating Points) and a rapper was on at one point. My buddy (black man whose dad was a rap DJ in NY and went to black college in Atlanta) and I (white dude who lived in the underground in the second half of the 00's) started chatted about how whack his sound was... and how it sounded like almost everything else right now.

And I like experimental, genre busting stuff. I am by zero accounts an "old head". Like POS, JPJEG Mafia, Odd Future...those are some of my favs.

The other side of the coin is that pop has been in for like 10 years and doesn't seem to be going anywhere. The fact that a lot of people don't listen to albums combined with the fact algorythms exist has stopped people from expanding their musical boundaries. Back in the day, I'd bring home a White Stripes album thinking it was gonna be alt-rock blues and wind up stuck listening to garage rock until it grew on me. Or buying a Radiohead album and finding they had gone electronic. That's how you wind up expanding your taste. Now? People just make playlists and delete out anything they don't like... while consuming a steady drip of pop. It's a fucking problem cause I really think it means everything else is forever niche.

Last edited:
Be is a masterpiece. Everything else is good (Chocolate, Electric Circus) to subpar (pretty much everything else).
I am a big fan of Dilla and “old” Kanye’s production so I enjoy those albums for the production standpoint but his flow and wordplay have never done much for me. I feel like he feels his lyrics are “important” but usually they are just a snooze.

Back