Best Music 🎶 of 2024!

Hey, I found two records I missed previously on that list that I really like. That is, "I'll get the vinyl" like. Such a weird list because beyond other things I already knew, there are also a bunch that are unlistenable to me. But good on them to promote a few records that are off the beaten path (for me at least - you guys have new music knowledge that's off the charts).

Hey, I found two records I missed previously on that list that I really like. That is, "I'll get the vinyl" like. Such a weird list because beyond other things I already knew, there are also a bunch that are unlistenable to me. But good on them to promote a few records that are off the beaten path (for me at least - you guys have new music knowledge that's off the charts).
Which ones?

I hadn't found a lot of rock stuff I enjoyed so far in 2024 beyond Sheer Mag and Elbow... these two power-pop-punk records I though were pretty great on my listens a little while ago:

Nice! I just got the Liquid Mike vinyl in the mail today. It’s a nice release silk-screened cover pressed at RTI.

Their previous albums which came out last year is really good too and it’s the same deal. Silk-screened jacket pressed at RTI…

I need to check out the Soft Kill release though.

Nicer! I just got the Liquid Mike vinyl in the mail today. It’s a nice release silk-screened cover pressed at RTI.

Their previous albums which came out last year is really good too and it’s the same deal. Silk-screened jacket pressed at RTI…

Ordered the new one an hour ago :p ... now I've got to listen to this other one, lol.

Nicer! I just got the Liquid Mike vinyl in the mail today. It’s a nice release silk-screened cover pressed at RTI.

The Soft Kill has this 80's quality to it, like I can almost hear Robert Smith on some of the tracks.

Can Faye Webster make an album with a cover that isn't just the shittiest picture on her phone?

View attachment 204630

Best of 2024! May!
  1. Brian Eno, Holger Czukay, J. Peter SchwalmSushi. Roti. Reibekuchen
  2. ShellacTo All Trains
  3. Richard ChartierOn Leaving
  4. Kamasi WashingtonFearless Movement
  5. ULVTHARM7Uthras
  6. Desiderii MarginisBathe In Black Light
  7. Colin StetsonAll This I Do For Glory
  8. Beth GibbonsLives Outgrown
  9. Jan JelinekSocial Engineering

I had huge great thundering Radar Lists this month, but ended up listening to very little and just about scraped a Top 9.
With the absolute lunacy of the last day of May being a Friday, I have had to update my list as there were some absolute bangers released, and it alters my Top 9 quite significantly!

202405_best.png

Best of 2024! May!
  1. Akira Kosemura & Lawrence EnglishSelene
  2. Brian Eno, Holger Czukay, J. Peter SchwalmSushi. Roti. Reibekuchen
  3. ShellacTo All Trains
  4. Richard ChartierOn Leaving
  5. Kamasi WashingtonFearless Movement
  6. ULVTHARM7Uthras
  7. Desiderii MarginisBathe In Black Light
  8. Colin StetsonAll This I Do For Glory
  9. ThouUmbilical
  10. Beth GibbonsLives Outgrown
  11. Jan JelinekSocial Engineering

This is a really good list worth exploring. I am unfamiliar with a lot of these artists and even less of these songs but I made a playlist and just giving the first dozen a listen and there is some great stuff on there…

…Friko still doesn’t do much for me as it reminds me too much of Bright Eyes (and I love Bright Eyes). The two tracks immediately following Friko are quite good. This Is Lorelei is a solo project of one half of the Brooklyn duo Water From Your Eyes, a band that I was pretty mid on when their album was released last year but his solo stuff from his forthcoming album is right up my alley. Then there is Merce Lemon, who single is awesome it gives me so Rosali vibes. I’ve enjoyed most everything on the list even the poppier stuff.

Anyways, I’ve compiled a playlist featuring all the tracks listen in order from 1-50 sans Cindy Lee’s “All I Want Is You” since her excellent new album isn’t available on any streaming sites.

*Updates in Bold

Best of 2024:

1. MGMT - Loss of Life
  2. The Lemon Twigs - A Dream Is All We Know
  3. Vampire Weekend - Only God Was Above Us
  4. Jessica Pratt - Here in the Pitch
  5. DIIV - Frog in Boiling Water
  6. Ducks Ltd. - Harm's Way
  7. Waxahatchee - Tigers Blood
  8. Camera Obscura - Look to the East, Look to the West
  9. Iron & Wine - Light Verse
  10. The Marías - Submarine
  11. Animal Ghosts - Swell
  12. Nils Frahm - Day
  13. Adam Wiltzie - Eleven Fugues for Sodium Pentothal
  14. Cloud Nothings - Final Summer
  15. Mannequin Pussy - I Got Heaven
  16. Hovvdy - Hovvdy
  17. Adrianne Lenker - Bright Future
  18. A Country Western - Life on the Lawn
  19. Real Estate - Daniel
  20. St. Vincent - All Born Screaming
  21. Future Islands - People Who Aren’t There Anymore
  22. Sheer Mag - Playing Favorites
  23. Katy Kirby - Blue Raspberry
  24. Julia Holter - Something in the Room She Moves
  25. Erotic Secrets of Pompeii - Mondo Maleficum
  26. of Montreal - Lady on the Cusp
  27. Hurray For The Riff Raff - The Past Is Still Alive
  28. Crumb - AMAMA
  29. TORRES - What an enormous room
  30. Dustin O'Halloran - 1001
  31. Whitelands - Night-bound Eyes Are Blind To The Day
  32. Khruangbin - A LA SALA
  33. The Smile - Wall of Eyes
  34. IDLES - TANGK

Need more listens before ranking:
  • English Teacher
  • Local Natives
  • Mdou Moctar
  • Metz
  • Ride
  • Rosali
  • Shannon & the Clams
Anticipated albums from:
  • GIFT
  • Haley Heynderickx (hopefully)
  • Nick Cave
  • My Bloody Valentine (hopefully)
  • The Mountain Goats (hopefully)
  • The Radio Dept. (hopefully)
  • The Shins
  • The Softies
  • TOPS
  • Touche Amore (hopefully)
  • Washed Out
Since it's in your anticipated list with a "(hopefully)." Confirmation that the Haley Heynderickx album is coming: she replied to someone's instagram comment asking about the new album thusly, "singles to be released this summer, album in the fall, if it was up to me it would be in your hands next week."

Having been lucky enough to have heard about half of these songs live on a couple of occasions, this is easily my most anticipated album of '24.

Back