Definitive Audiophile pressings

for live TH fans, try to find a copy of this one:

Recorded at the Agora Ballroom in Cleveland on December 18, 1978
Produced and mixed by David Byrne and Ed Stasium
Mastered at Sterling Sound

Band Members:
David Byrne (lead vocals, guitar)
Jerry Harrison (drums)
Tina Weymouth (bass guitar, backing vocals)
Chris Frantz (guitar, backing vocals, keyboards)

I couldn't tell the difference between a 1 step and a nice RTI or QRP pressing. If I buy a 1 step, it's probably for the mastering engineer choice and it's likely on sale😊
I find the one steps can often have a dead quiet black background and can be more revealing. But agree that mastering choices/engineer have a bigger influence on the sound. Can’t think of many (if any) albums cut by the same engineer with the same source that was done as a one step and a regular pressing. I guess Pearl and Tapestry were done as 2x45 and one steps by MoFi?

@bdm105 i imagine that one steps and supervinyl from MoFi aren’t all that different sounding so I’d go with the supervinyl if you’re choosing between the two. The MoFi’s are from digital anyway so doubt a one step sounds that much better

I find the one steps can often have a dead quiet black background and can be more revealing. But agree that mastering choices/engineer have a bigger influence on the sound. Can’t think of many (if any) albums cut by the same engineer with the same source that was done as a one step and a regular pressing. I guess Pearl and Tapestry were done as 2x45 and one steps by MoFi?

@bdm105 i imagine that one steps and supervinyl from MoFi aren’t all that different sounding so I’d go with the supervinyl if you’re choosing between the two. The MoFi’s are from digital anyway so doubt a one step sounds that much better

Yeah I figure using the class action credit for miles davis is always a good choice

Back