Definitive Audiophile pressings

Very very off topic, but I just bought Marvin Gaye’s Live at the London Palladium. First off, great sounding live album. Second, sides one and three are pressed on disc 1 and two and four on disc 2. I’ve never seen that before (I’ve had plenty of auto-coupled discs with 1 and 4 on disc 1 and 2/3 on disc 2). Pretty annoying to switch the record for each side. Anyone know why it was pressed like that?

Very very off topic, but I just bought Marvin Gaye’s Live at the London Palladium. First off, great sounding live album. Second, sides one and three are pressed on disc 1 and two and four on disc 2. I’ve never seen that before (I’ve had plenty of auto-coupled discs with 1 and 4 on disc 1 and 2/3 on disc 2). Pretty annoying to switch the record for each side. Anyone know why it was pressed like that?
Same reason. This way actually makes more sense if you have two turntables (microphone optional)

Welcome to the world of Auto-Coupling. This novelty was all the rage for a short time in the 70s where, album sides would come 1&4 and 2&3, the idea being that if you had an automatic stacking system, you would only have to flip your stack over one time.

They probably aren’t one and done. There is a brick and mortar version coming soon.
Those are leftover stock that hasn’t sold though…at least that’s what Mikefromtheingroovephoenixarizona seems to think. It’s only titles that are still in stock.

I do think eventually they will use the plates for Rocktober, an unnumbered version or one with a cheaper jacket

Still, Rhino are one of the biggest labels out there...their approach to this series just baffles me
I’m not too sure what’s baffling about it. They sold $200,000 of Black Sabbath albums in 5 days because it was limited. They are going for short term big sales numbers and keeping people’s appetites up for whatever is next in the series. They had 5,000 albums that they only had to warehouse for a few weeks or so.

The biggest sales numbers usually happen when something is announced. Or when people get copies in hand and rave about it (Cars)

Those are leftover stock that hasn’t sold though…at least that’s what Mikefromtheingroovephoenixarizona seems to think. It’s only titles that are still in stock.

I do think eventually they will use the plates for Rocktober, an unnumbered version or one with a cheaper jacket
It’s marketed as a new edition and while I agree with fuck mike that it is curious it is in stock items, he doesn’t know…

I guess some of the curation has been baffling to me. Why do Van Morrison - His Band when KG already cut it and there's a $20 in print version from rhino? Why not do Talking Heads or any other number of bands that people would eat up like Sabbath? Smart of them to pivot more to rock music since there are already so many competing jazz reissue series in that price point...I actually liked the Doobie Bros one but hope they do some stuff that hasn't had a nice reissue in awhile, or where previous reissues have sold out and are pricey now...wouldn't be surprised at all to see them do more Sabbath.

I’m not too sure what’s baffling about it. They sold $200,000 of Black Sabbath albums in 5 days because it was limited. They are going for short term big sales numbers and keeping people’s appetites up for whatever is next in the series. They had 5,000 albums that they only had to warehouse for a few weeks or so.

The biggest sales numbers usually happen when something is announced. Or when people get copies in hand and rave about it (Cars)
It helps that the albums are nearly ready to ship once they are announced too. They get almost instantaneous positive feedback from the audiophile community which likely results in even more records being sold.

It helps that the albums are nearly ready to ship once they are announced too. They get almost instantaneous positive feedback from the audiophile community which likely results in even more records being sold.
True, although it has still usually taken at least a month for me to get my copies. The VC youtube people always seem to have them in hand before they even go on sale so they can gush about them.

Back