Definitive Audiophile pressings

After getting rid of the all-in-one TT/8-track/tuner I had in elementary/middle school, I bought a technics tt, technics receiver with early digital tuner, a Fischer dual/auto-reverse cassette deck, and this bad boy to dial things in while rolling joints at a way too young age. The lights on that LED panel were awesome.

Silver ruled the world, and I still love wasting too much money on dumb audio shit like this.

IMG_3348.jpeg

After getting rid of the all-in-one TT/8-track/tuner I had in elementary/middle school, I bought a technics tt, technics receiver with early digital tuner, a Fischer dual/auto-reverse cassette deck, and this bad boy to dial things in while rolling joints at a way too young age. The lights on that LED panel were awesome.

Silver ruled the world, and I still love wasting too much money on dumb audio shit like this.

View attachment 208691
You had more money than me.
My mom had the separates cabinet.
Mitsubishi if I recall correctly.

If you have other gems, let me know. My space is fairly empty for this era.
I mostly have a hodgepodge of different pressings but almost all are US first or early pressings and I’ve never felt a big need to upgrade. I also have a UK first pressing of Station to Station that is awesome and a 40th anniversary cut of Ziggy Stardust that’s stellar.

Re Bowie — I’m no expert but I have this 1976 JP pressing of Station to Station and this 1982 JP pressing of Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust. The Ziggy has received unsolicited positive comments on my system. I think Station to Station sounds even better, but I also think I like that album more than most people.

I think both are quite good and have quiet vinyl, but I also suspect neither is up to par with the best versions from the 70s, whether UK or US (or otherwise). The challenge is finding a good copy of the best versions. Put another way, I also suspect these are better if not substantially better than many of the not-best versions from the 70s and not-best copies of the best versions.
All the early 80s Japanese Bowie reissues were well regarded, and for a while quite inexpensive. Been a while since I chased the Bowie pressings so not sure how readily available or cheap they are

Spinning my copy of the 2003 DSOTM, I seem to have this 3rd version that was added to Discogs about a year ago -

This pressing DOES HAVE “5821361” etched in the runouts
This pressing has a single press ring (no rim)

I got this so long ago I can't remember how or when I exactly acquired it. If it was in 2003, it would have been when I still lived in Illinois, and that would have probably been an Amazon order, as there really wasn't a store that sold new vinyl. If it wasn't until after summer of 2004 it could have been a local store here or Amazon...or a store in Portland. (my earliest Pink Floyd purchase on Amazon was the Division Bell box set from 2014, at least with this account - it's possible I made a new one at some point, or Amazon doesn't go back that far.)

It also could have been an early ebay purchase, as I did buy some records back then off ebay that I couldn't find locally.

Or perhaps they printed extra replacements due to their shitty packaging and also upgraded their mailers so they are getting rid of their extras?

I really don’t care regardless. I think artificial scarcity is stupid.
I don't think it's overruns.
But hard to say when rhino has been kind of disingenuous on this.
I'm not a fan of the numbering and I think most people will pump the brakes on the Rhino direct orders that need $100 to get free shipping.

If they are sitting on Sabbath copies and screwing people over on defect replacements, Rhino will get terribly flamed. And deservingly so.

It's all kind of bizarre when you think about.

Last edited:
Back