Definitive Audiophile pressings

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to find that AP plate pressing of Cosmos Factory? I know there are about 7 pressings that share that same barcode but only two of them are the right one. I have Craft half speed but Showell is not my fav, I know this could be far far better.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to find that AP plate pressing of Cosmos Factory? I know there are about 7 pressings that share that same barcode but only two of them are the right one. I have Craft half speed but Showell is not my fav, I know this could be far far better.
1. Ask sellers on Discogs to check deadwax on used copies before buying.

2. Buy from Amazon and hope for the best. Return if not the right pressing.

3. Go to your local shop and just start opening records on the floor until they notice and chase you out of there. [Wear running shoes]

I don't think it's overruns.
But hard to say when rhino has been kind of disingenuous on this.
I'm not a fan of the numbering and I think most people will pump the brakes on the Rhino direct orders that need $100 to get free shipping.

If they are sitting on Sabbath copies and screwing people over on defect replacements, Rhino will get terribly flamed. And deservingly so.

It's all kind of bizarre when you think about.
Are they actually unnumbered? A bunch of people said the other brick and mortars were unnumbered, not realizing that the numbers were under the OBI

Are they actually unnumbered? A bunch of people said the other brick and mortars were unnumbered, not realizing that the numbers were under the OBI
I believe the AB copies In Groove recvd are unnumbered.
Tutu and some others are numbered.
It is not consistent

Also the obi drops the "numbered" text for the unnumbered copies

@Hemotep

Did you see this.
Another BG AAA cut.

I did. But I have a Japanese promo of it that is one of the best sounding albums in my collection, so I'm on the fence about getting another copy. Although I probably will for reasons.

I got the elephant URHQ so that you don't have to. Here's my thoughts:

-Seven Nation Army is super clean, too clean. As a producer friend of mine once said about a Nirvana remaster, "This shit isn't supposed to sound clean!"
-There's a bit more fuzz on the rest thankfully.
-It's flat. It sounds quite good. Real solid separation of instruments, more than I thought possible based on how the band recorded a lot of their material.
-I got it cause it was showing a low stock alert, and it's one of my all time fave albums and fomo kicked in.

Now....is it worth it...

It's unlikely. I don't hear a $125 increase in quality. I don't own a McIntosh or a Mofi deck. Maybe if you've invested a bunch in your equipment there's something there, I don't know! I just know that if you've invested $2000 or less that you probably don't need this version.

I do not anticipate that I will buy a UHQR again. FOMO be gone!

-Seven Nation Army is super clean, too clean. As a producer friend of mine once said about a Nirvana remaster, "This shit isn't supposed to sound clean!"
-It's flat. It sounds quite good. Real solid separation of instruments, more than I thought possible based on how the band recorded a lot of their material.
-I got it cause it was showing a low stock alert, and it's one of my all time fave albums and fomo kicked in.

Now....is it worth it...

It's unlikely. I don't hear a $125 increase in quality. I don't own a McIntosh or a Mofi deck. Maybe if you've invested a bunch in your equipment there's something there, I don't know! I just know that if you've invested $2000 or less that you probably don't need this version.

Man….i absolutely love the White Stripes UHQR. The separation, bass and drums are all wonderful. It’s a very crankable pressing. I’ve had two other pressings of it and this one is much better IMO. As for whether or not it’s worth it…completely subjective of course. I am very happy with my purchase of it though. Grabbed it with 15% off and no tax or shipping so paid a bit less than through Chad

Now....is it worth it...

I tend to agree that below a certain system level things like UHQRs and One Steps are probably not going to open up enough vs a decent standard pressing to really be worthwhile. I think that standard Mofi and APs are still worthwhile but in terms of audible differences I probably stop there... I have a couple of buddies with nice less expensive systems and I can definitely hear the difference of a Mofi vs a standard pressing but above that it's so minimal... obviously every system is different and YMMV...

I got the MoFi super vinyl of Bridge Over Troubled Water and it sounds really great. So clean and such a wide soundstage. I will say, I really don’t play the album too too much and have a copy of the half-speed master from the mid 80’s. I threw the half speed on for the heck of it after I played the title track to the MoFi and I must say that the half speed was damn good as well, shockingly good actually. So if you don’t want to spend $60 on the new MoFi, you should be able to find a clean half speed for at least half that price.

I believe the AB copies In Groove recvd are unnumbered.
Tutu and some others are numbered.
It is not consistent

Also the obi drops the "numbered" text for the unnumbered copies
Wonder if rhino will address it. I personally don’t care if they do numbered then unnumbered. Labels do that all the time. Just seems weird they did it with the titles that still haven’t sold out yet. I’d prefer if they did brick and mortar ones so I could get better packing and cheaper or free shipping

Back