Definitive Audiophile pressings

I got the MoFi super vinyl of Bridge Over Troubled Water and it sounds really great. So clean and such a wide soundstage. I will say, I really don’t play the album too too much and have a copy of the half-speed master from the mid 80’s. I threw the half speed on for the heck of it after I played the title track to the MoFi and I must say that the half speed was damn good as well, shockingly good actually. So if you don’t want to spend $60 on the new MoFi, you should be able to find a clean half speed for at least half that price.
I need to clean my OG and see how it compares. I was really enjoying the MoFi super vinyl this afternoon.

Wonder if rhino will address it. I personally don’t care if they do numbered then unnumbered. Labels do that all the time. Just seems weird they did it with the titles that still haven’t sold out yet. I’d prefer if they did brick and mortar ones so I could get better packing and cheaper or free shipping
I don't mind them pressing more either.
But just be transparent with the customers upfront.
Makes Rhino look like a bunch of Chads.

I tend to agree that below a certain system level things like UHQRs and One Steps are probably not going to open up enough vs a decent standard pressing to really be worthwhile. I think that standard Mofi and APs are still worthwhile but in terms of audible differences I probably stop there... I have a couple of buddies with nice less expensive systems and I can definitely hear the difference of a Mofi vs a standard pressing but above that it's so minimal... obviously every system is different and YMMV...
The few OneStep's I've bought have generally been disappointing. The exception is the Hot Buttered Soul. And I'm sure I could have found a copy for less that is close to as good, but it's the first I bought that put a real smile on my face on the first spin. Thriller sounds great as a one-step (I won that, so it wouldn't have been a purchase) but there are a ton of killer pressings of that album out there for wayyyy less.

I've been most disappointed with the Alan Parsons stuff I got, which seems like a match made in heaven but just didn't work for me. The Paul Simon was good tho.

Wonder if rhino will address it. I personally don’t care if they do numbered then unnumbered. Labels do that all the time. Just seems weird they did it with the titles that still haven’t sold out yet. I’d prefer if they did brick and mortar ones so I could get better packing and cheaper or free shipping
Yeah, this is what is weird to me. Why do extras for those that are still not sold out? And not do unnumbered for those that are sold out and in demand? Doesn't make sense to me.

I tend to agree that below a certain system level things like UHQRs and One Steps are probably not going to open up enough vs a decent standard pressing to really be worthwhile. I think that standard Mofi and APs are still worthwhile but in terms of audible differences I probably stop there... I have a couple of buddies with nice less expensive systems and I can definitely hear the difference of a Mofi vs a standard pressing but above that it's so minimal... obviously every system is different and YMMV...

Absolutely! I still plan to purchase the occasional standard mofi or ap release.

I got the MoFi super vinyl of Bridge Over Troubled Water and it sounds really great. So clean and such a wide soundstage. I will say, I really don’t play the album too too much and have a copy of the half-speed master from the mid 80’s. I threw the half speed on for the heck of it after I played the title track to the MoFi and I must say that the half speed was damn good as well, shockingly good actually. So if you don’t want to spend $60 on the new MoFi, you should be able to find a clean half speed for at least half that price.
I've got this on order, looking forward to comparing it to the 84 Mofi and the Classics Records pressing. I'd honestly be happy with the Classics but it's got a scratch on and off for about 40 seconds so I'm gunna give this new one a shot...

Last edited:
I'm got this on order, looking forward to comparing it to the 84 Mofi and the Classics Records pressing. I'd honestly be happy with the Classics but it's got a scratch on and off for about 40 seconds so I'm gunna give this new one a shot...
I think you'll be happy with it. Like all MoFis it sounds a bit cleaner than I'm accustomed to, but I had it cranked today and can't say I've ever enjoyed the album in full as much as I did this afternoon.

Man….i absolutely love the White Stripes UHQR. The separation, bass and drums are all wonderful. It’s a very crankable pressing. I’ve had two other pressings of it and this one is much better IMO. As for whether or not it’s worth it…completely subjective of course. I am very happy with my purchase of it though. Grabbed it with 15% off and no tax or shipping so paid a bit less than through Chad

It's absolutely a great sounding pressing for all the reasons you've named. If money is not a concern then it's the version I'd recommend.

Supposedly the Jack White - No Name is a BG cut.

It's absolutely a great sounding pressing for all the reasons you've named. If money is not a concern then it's the version I'd recommend.

Supposedly the Jack White - No Name is a BG cut.
For sure. Comeback Vinyl usually has a 15% off coupon for email signups and they don’t charge tax or shipping for me. They may still have copies of it but not sure. Didn’t realize it was low stock at AS.

Anyone got their hands on the new BOTW Mofi?

@Hemotep

Did you see this?
Another BG AAA cut.

This reissue sounds most excellent. Everything you expect from BG. The blue vinyl is pretty quiet. I have one bubble defect that is a distraction for 3-4 rotations. Not sure if plaid will be able to replace it since they sold out.

Back