Definitive Audiophile pressings

Sorry if this is already posted, but someone at the SH forum somehow found pages for the forthcoming Contemporary Acoustic Sounds series. Here’s the SH page w the post. Each title links to the AS webpage for it. The titles aren’t searchable at the moment, so I’m not sure how they were found.

View attachment 130676
Thanks! Cut and pasted the links:

It's coming...
Jazz Giant
Four!
The Poll Winners
Art Pepper +11
Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section (stereo)
Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section (mono)
My Fair Lady

Little more info coming out now on the Norah Jones Come Away With Me 20 Anniversary Reissue

1646146927090.png

Ted Jensen is listed as the mastering engineer for this reissue.
"New remastering of the eight-time Grammy®-winning album by Ted Jensen from Sterling Sound, engineer on the original album."
Source: Come Away With Me - 20th Anniversary (LP) by Norah Jones | The Sound of Vinyl AU

Jensen is said to master only in digital now, but his mixes are well respected. And if Ryan K Smith @ Sterling does the cutting to vinyl we could still be in for a good record, but might have to wait and see where this one stacks up.

Last edited:
Little more info coming out now on the Norah Jones Come Away With Me 20 Anniversary Reissue coming out.

View attachment 130701

Ted Jensen is listed as the mastering engineer for this reissue.
"New remastering of the eight-time Grammy®-winning album by Ted Jensen from Sterling Sound, engineer on the original album."
Source: Come Away With Me - 20th Anniversary (LP) by Norah Jones | The Sound of Vinyl AU

Jensen is said to master only in digital now, but his mixes are well respected. And if Ryan K Smith @ Sterling does the cutting to vinyl we could still be in for a good record, but might have to wait and see where this one stacks up.

Jensen mastered at least one of the Blue Note releases as well - the one I have.

So now I'm curious to what he is remastering here...definitely a wait and see situation. FWIW, I didn't think that the Blue Note was dramatically worse than Acoustic Sounds so if it's similar quality it'll likely be a good option that doesn't cost $75, but it's not as good.

Folk Singer is now shipping apparently. Just went live on the MoFi site.

Good start, I have a great CR copy of the Benny Carter, highly recommended. I have to decide to get the April RSD Art Pepper Mono by Grundman or wait for this stereo. +11 in stereo is probably my preference, I have a OJC. The others are good, So much good Contemporary Jazz label though available, lets hope we see Curtis Counce, Lennie Niehaus, more Art Pepper (Smack Up, Gettin Together), more Shelly Manne (At The Blackhawk), Hampton Hawes (All Night Sessions), Teddy Edwards, Joe Gordan, Leroy Vinnegar, Rene Thomas, Helen Humes, etc

Have to hope these are a few steps above there OJC counterparts. Any guess on pricing , $40ea ?

Last edited:

Folk Singer is now shipping apparently. Just went live on the MoFi site.
Interested how they spaced out the tracks over two discs. Wonder if it'll differ from the AP 45s.

Good start, I have a great CR copy of the Benny Carter, highly recommended. I have to decide to get the April RSD Art Pepper Mono by Grundman or wait for this stereo. +11 in stereo is probably my preference, I have a OJC. The others are good, So much good Contemporary Jazz label though available, lets hope we see Curtis Counce, Lennie Niehaus, more Art Pepper (Smack Up, Gettin Together), more Shelly Manne (At The Blackhawk), Hampton Hawes (All Night Sessions), Teddy Edwards, Joe Gordan, Leroy Vinnegar, Rene Thomas, Helen Humes, etc

Have to hope these are a few steps above there OJC counterparts. Any guess on pricing , $40ea ?
So is Contemporary much more like feel good, rom-com movie jazz? That might be reductive but seems to be the vibe. Blue Note and Impulse records seem to feel much more exploratory and driving.

Also, are Blue Mitchell and Red Mitchell the same person?

Yes on seeing some of the lesser celebrated artists/titles, especially to Hampton Hawes! I would be extremely happy if they released the complete “All Night Sessions.” I’ve been looking for OGs of them in the right condition and right price, but that’s not happened yet.

Leroy Vinnegar lived in Portland until he died in 1999, so he’s a hometown favorite here. A couple weeks ago I found a Mint/Mint copy of Leroy Vinnegar Sextet “Leroy Walks” at a local shop for $14. It’s a great record and the sound is pristine. He’s definitely underrated, although I suppose that’s what happens when you’re an old-school jazzer who moves to Portland.

So is Contemporary much more like feel good, rom-com movie jazz? That might be reductive but seems to be the vibe. Blue Note and Impulse records seem to feel much more exploratory and driving.

Some of it is "west coast Jazz", but the catalog has a good selection overall IMHO. The overall size of the catalog is quite large.

Contemporary had a bunch of west coast jazz while BN was mainly east coast. I wouldn’t really say feel good rom com jazz but that’s just me haha. Some of the stuff you have heard was probably some of the more west coast cool jazz tunes which were popular at the time.

Blue Note went through all the periods of jazz and lasted a long time so the BN sound evolved a ton over the years. You had stuff like Grachan Moncur but also Rueben Wilson’s Love Bug and some cheesy vocal jazz records (those seem more rom com to me). BN was all over the place sound-wise. The big period for Contemporary was the early 50s through mid 60s then they released some more in the 70s I think.

BN had Van Gelder and Contemporary had Roy DuNann, who many think was a better engineer. There is a lot of great jazz from the label. And most of it is incredibly well recorded. Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section is pretty incredible and a crazy story.

After they wrapped the Prestige sessions with Miles Davis, the Miles Quintet was touring the west coast. His rhythm section consisting of Paul Chambers, Red Garland and Philly Joe Jones got a call to record an album with a young popular saxophonist on Contemporary Records, Art Pepper. Except Art had no clue he was recording with them. His wife arranged the session without telling him because she knew he got really nervous and would have gotten really worked up about recording with Miles’ rhythm section (oh and He was also doing heroin at the time).

So Art showed up and was thrown into the deep end with an incredible and accomplished rhythm section. In 5 hours, they wrote and recorded two originals on the spot and recorded 8 other tracks. It’s an awesome record. Also highly recommend Pepper’s Live at the Village Vanguard series. Think there are 3 or 4 volumes from different nights.

I’d love to get some of the Shelly at the Black Hawk records reissued.

And while I’m on the subject — Waldron/Ervin/Dolphy ”The Quest” is killer and, I think, more exploratory than many Prestige titles.
I’d also love to see Waldron’s “Mal/2”
I’m hoping they expand the prestige series. Would love both of those titles. I need more Waldron titles

The RSD mono art pepper was marked 29.99 at bullmoose. I’d guess around that price? Maybe same as the AS verve series?

Back