Definitive Audiophile pressings

After they wrapped the Prestige sessions with Miles Davis, the Miles Quintet was touring the west coast. His rhythm section consisting of Paul Chambers, Red Garland and Philly Joe Jones got a call to record an album with a young popular saxophonist on Contemporary Records, Art Pepper. Except Art had no clue he was recording with them. His wife arranged the session without telling him because she knew he got really nervous and would have gotten really worked up about recording with Miles’ rhythm section (oh and He was also doing heroin at the time).

So Art showed up and was thrown into the deep end with an incredible and accomplished rhythm section. In 5 hours, they wrote and recorded two originals on the spot and recorded 8 other tracks. It’s an awesome record. Also highly recommend Pepper’s Live at the Village Vanguard series. Think there are 3 or 4 volumes from different nights.
There's another element that makes this even more impressive.

In his autobiography (which is well worth a read, one of my favourites from a jazz musician) he said he hadn't played for quite some time prior to that day (although I seem to remember there was a disparity over the length of time that he claimed compared with the actual time). Once his wife told him about the session he got his sax and the mouthpiece had become rotten/cracked. He had to hastily cobble together some parts and assembled them in a DIY fashion. So he wasn't even using a properly functioning horn.

Also I agree, the Live At The Village Vanguard sessions are fantastic!

There's another element that makes this even more impressive.

In his autobiography (which is well worth a read, one of my favourites from a jazz musician) he said he hadn't played for quite some time prior to that day (although I seem to remember there was a disparity over the length of time that he claimed compared with the actual time). Once his wife told him about the session he got his sax and the mouthpiece had become rotten/cracked. He had to hastily cobble together some parts and assembled them in a DIY fashion. So he wasn't even using a properly functioning horn.

Also I agree, the Live At The Village Vanguard sessions are fantastic!
That autobiography is on my long list of books to read!

Was at my local Newbury today and they had another copy of the Sundazed pressing of Leonard Cohen - Songs From A Room for $9.99 today. Picked it up since I figured someone here may want it. I opened it and it’s the BoomBoom cut. So if anybody here wants it for what I paid for it plus shipping let me know! Claimed!

5F6C40CF-AD2B-47B3-9BCA-4C059A56E6F4.jpeg

Last edited:
Was at my local Newbury today and they had another copy of the Sundazed pressing of Leonard Cohen - Songs From A Room for $9.99 today. Picked it up since I figured someone here may want it. I opened it and it’s the BoomBoom cut. So if anybody here wants it for what I paid for it plus shipping let me know!

View attachment 130859
I would love it!

Anyone have any thoughts on the 25th Ann edition of Endtroducing? I have a 2002 repress and it is pretty poppy.

My copy is pressed nicely and sounds good. I don’t have anything to compare it to though. I can say this is one of the few new records that I haven’t needed/wanted a replacement for, due to some sort of defect. That is a major win in my book!

Anyone have any thoughts on the 25th Ann edition of Endtroducing? I have a 2002 repress and it is pretty poppy.

I’ve been thinking about picking up the anniversary edition too. Is yours the Bellman cut? I have this one cut by him. It sounds fantastic but it is pressed by United. My copy is surprisingly pretty quiet but I’m sure that’s not the case for every copy. DJ Shadow - Endtroducing.....

It's decent. I have three different pressings. The one in the Endtrospective box set is better but I don't think that is easily available anymore. This one does nicely too.

Endtrospective box set is better.
This is the one I have. It sounds fantastic and I grabbed it when they were going for under $50. Not only does the album sound great but the remix discs are also worthwhile and the book is quality too. That being said, I wouldn’t pay the current going rate on the secondary market. Thankfully the new 25th anniversary reissue does include the full tracklisting, previously you could only find the full album on the Boxset edition.

Back