Definitive Audiophile pressings

Those with the 30th anniversary DSOTM pressing - is there a perfect pressing of this? I received a "NM" copy. The mastering is great but it's riddled with pops - the last tracks on both side it's particularly noticeable. I'm contemplating returning it to the seller right now but also wondering if I would ever do better.

This one is better than the 2016 master but the 2016 pressing, at least my copy, is dead silent.

Those with the 30th anniversary DSOTM pressing - is there a perfect pressing of this? I received a "NM" copy. The mastering is great but it's riddled with pops - the last tracks on both side it's particularly noticeable. I'm contemplating returning it to the seller right now but also wondering if I would ever do better.

This one is better than the 2016 master but the 2016 pressing, at least my copy, is dead silent.
Mine was good after an ultrasonic clean. There were two different pressings of it so may be worth looking at the deadwax to see which you have. This is the one I have:

I believe this version has two pressing rings while the other has one

There was a batch that definitely had surface noise issues despite being super clean. I had one of those. Annoyed the hell out of me, because the mastering is so good. But my side B really suffered. Cleaned it many, many times but eventually sold it as VG and tracked down a copy that was play tested without noise. I’ve read of many dealing with the noise problem, which is why I would be so scared buying a sealed one haha. I’m not aware of a way to tell which ones have problems and which don’t, unfortunately.

FWIW the clean one I have is this pressing:

It's decent. I have three different pressings. The one in the Endtrospective box set is better but I don't think that is easily available anymore. This one does nicely too.

This is the one I have. It sounds fantastic and I grabbed it when they were going for under $50. Not only does the album sound great but the remix discs are also worthwhile and the book is quality too. That being said, I wouldn’t pay the current going rate on the secondary market. Thankfully the new 25th anniversary reissue does include the full tracklisting, previously you could only find the full album on the Boxset edition.
I had the box set for a while as well. It's a great set for sure and the pressings were really good from what I remember. I ended up selling it because it took up a chunk of space and I rarely listened to it, but that's just down to personal preference.

Mine also seems to have gotten much better after an ultrasonic clean.

There was a batch that definitely had surface noise issues despite being super clean. I had one of those. Annoyed the hell out of me, because the mastering is so good. But my side B really suffered. Cleaned it many, many times but eventually sold it as VG and tracked down a copy that was play tested without noise. I’ve read of many dealing with the noise problem, which is why I would be so scared buying a sealed one haha. I’m not aware of a way to tell which ones have problems and which don’t, unfortunately.

Mine has the same problems, not perfect but very clean vinyl, but plenty of noise. Drives me crazy. For this reason, I bought the 2016 remaster as well.

Some news from IR you may or may not have seen. There's a new album up for pre-order -- Dillard & Clark - The Fantastic Expedition of Dillard & Clark

SACD for now, vinyl later in the year.

ALSO, looks like they are reissuing Quincy Jones - The Dude. Definitely on SACD, not sure about vinyl but I'd assume so.

lastly, if anybody has a SACD player, it looks like Shane is looking for some help with testing some upcoming titles for SACD.

IR NEEDS YOU- I need someone with sensitive ears and preferably a headphone setup to QC CD/SACD check discs.

The SACDs are tricky because they have to play SACD-Rs, which in my household only my Opponent BDP-93 or 95 does.

the CD discs will play on anything and because they're derived direct from the DSD any errors should be present if they are there.

DM me if you're interested. Not a total free lunch- you need to spend concentrated time and I need them turned around in about a week.

Quincy Jones just arrived, will be first up!

Some news from IR you may or may not have seen. There's a new album up for pre-order -- Dillard & Clark - The Fantastic Expedition of Dillard & Clark

SACD for now, vinyl later in the year.

ALSO, looks like they are reissuing Quincy Jones - The Dude. Definitely on SACD, not sure about vinyl but I'd assume so.

lastly, if anybody has a SACD player, it looks like Shane is looking for some help with testing some upcoming titles for SACD.

IR NEEDS YOU- I need someone with sensitive ears and preferably a headphone setup to QC CD/SACD check discs.

The SACDs are tricky because they have to play SACD-Rs, which in my household only my Opponent BDP-93 or 95 does.

the CD discs will play on anything and because they're derived direct from the DSD any errors should be present if they are there.

DM me if you're interested. Not a total free lunch- you need to spend concentrated time and I need them turned around in about a week.

Quincy Jones just arrived, will be first up!
That Dillard and Clark album is fantastic.

Mine was good after an ultrasonic clean. There were two different pressings of it so may be worth looking at the deadwax to see which you have. This is the one I have:

I believe this version has two pressing rings while the other has one

Mine has the same problems, not perfect but very clean vinyl, but plenty of noise. Drives me crazy. For this reason, I bought the 2016 remaster as well.

I think I have the same version as you @MikeH and I've put it through the HG but maybe I'll try running it a couple of times more.

I bought my copy for about 50 bucks so I'm really tempted to keep the copy for that reason as I don't think they come around that low often.

A bit torn as I have the 2016 issue which I've been pretty happy with until now.

I think I have the same version as you @MikeH and I've put it through the HG but maybe I'll try running it a couple of times more.

I bought my copy for about 50 bucks so I'm really tempted to keep the copy for that reason as I don't think they come around that low often.

A bit torn as I have the 2016 issue which I've been pretty happy with until now.
I paid about $80 for it i think a year and a half ago. The sleeve is a little dinged up but it sounded excellent last time I spun it...also hit it with a zerostat. Wouldn't be shocked if a big reissue comes next year with it being the 50th anniversary. Hopefully they do an AAA one pressed somewhere good but am not holding my breath on it. Chad has been hinting at getting some really big UHQR titles in and while a boy can dream, doubt it will be dark side...

Back