Definitive Audiophile pressings

Has anyone who ordered from a European site received their version of What’s Going On yet?

Is the Kevin Gray mastering worldwide or US only?

Man…people on some of those Facebook MoFi groups are not happy about this one not being online. One guy said it’s “amateur hour” and others said it’s unfair that it’s not online and saying the guys running it are dumb for selling in-store only.

People really are the worst.
The funny thing is that I read the sale is not being run by MoFi, just that they are impressed it is a complete set they have a rep on hand and are sort of partnering with Common Wave.

It is like me whinging that Plaidroom doesn't have a Canadian warehouse so they can ship to me cheaper.

Man…people on some of those Facebook MoFi groups are not happy about this one not being online. One guy said it’s “amateur hour” and others said it’s unfair that it’s not online and saying the guys running it are dumb for selling in-store only.

People really are the worst.
I’m in a different/smaller group who posted about that sale before it was advertised. He was told they didn’t even have time to grade/inspect them, so it was “come see it yourself.”

Poor guy asked others in the group for stuff they were looking for to pickup for them and got bombarded with 100+ requests 🤣

I’m in a different/smaller group who posted about that sale before it was advertised. He was told they didn’t even have time to grade/inspect them, so it was “come see it yourself.”

Poor guy asked others in the group for stuff they were looking for to pickup for them and got bombarded with 100+ requests 🤣
Someone at Common Wave posted it in the group I'm in and said the guy who owns all the records came to them to grade and sell off the set piecemeal. He said almost all are NM.

The comments are insane. This is my favorite one:
"This will probably be a shit show. Amateur hour auction. I shutter to think how much $$ this owner is gonna lose.
You can tell by the half-ass description that these folks are in over their head.
That being said if there’s a price list available, I’d love to see it, but no way this is gonna work 6 bidders at a time.
I really hope I’m wrong. But since there’s no online presence, no way to maximize value."

So I'm not sure if this really belongs in the audiophile thread but I did find it really interesting.
So a few years back I got my hands on a bootleg of The Mars Volta "Frances The Mute". This bootleg was out of Europe and of strangely high quality. All the packaging was thick stock, triple gatefold, vinyl was about 140-160 gram, artwork was high res, identical in quality to the OG. Basically it's identical to the OG release in every way except it's missing the side 6 etching. And it sounds good, not like a CD rip. It's got good highs, punchy bass, it sounds like it's been mastered specifically for vinyl. Which is odd for a bootleg. However around the time this boot came out Music On Vinyl was in the process of the releasing their versions of the early Volta catalogue. They had already released De-Loused and were apparently putting the finishing touches on their Frances The Mute when the band found out about the releases and threw a fit. Claimed they were bootlegs and illegal and against their wishes. They weren't, but MOV abandoned the project and scrapped the rumoured almost completed Frances release. Then soon after, this very high quality bootleg appeared and the rumor I've read is that it was basically the ressurected MOV release that someone had essentially smuggled out of MOV following the cancellation. No idea if it's true but the quality on this thing would seem to indicate it's more than just your average bootleg. So this week I received a copy of the new "Official" re-release of the album from Clouds Hill. And... well... friends the bootleg is better. The packaging is better, more accurate to the original, thicker nicer in every way and the mastering on the album is better on the bootleg than the official release. I'm still not certain but after hearing the two of them I really do believe this bootleg is actually the zombie MOV release. The new one isn't bad, but the boot has more natural highs and punchier bass and these are two things i would definitely not expect from what would normally be a CD rip.

Anyhow, don't know if it's true but it certainly seems plausible to me. Thought that was kinda interesting...

Last edited:
Someone at Common Wave posted it in the group I'm in and said the guy who owns all the records came to them to grade and sell off the set piecemeal. He said almost all are NM.

The comments are insane. This is my favorite one:
"This will probably be a shit show. Amateur hour auction. I shutter to think how much $$ this owner is gonna lose.
You can tell by the half-ass description that these folks are in over their head.
That being said if there’s a price list available, I’d love to see it, but no way this is gonna work 6 bidders at a time.
I really hope I’m wrong. But since there’s no online presence, no way to maximize value."
Is it auction style or just “first come, first served”? Trying to do an in-person auction of every MoFi ever would be something lol

Like...maybe I just have too much faith in people but if they're getting a collection of this extent, specifically advertising it, and it's to the point where MoFi representatives are there...they're not gonna throw a $30 price tag on everything and let people go wild. I'd be stunned if they haven't assessed appropriate pricing on this or are even going to overprice it.

And I can't imagine the reason a record store wouldn't want to throw a hugely in demand item list on Ebay and let them take 10%+ and deal with shipping an item to a mystery buyer unseen...or use an online store front that can't handle the demand for one item of each per piece.

I want to be in this fantasy world.

Like...maybe I just have too much faith in people but if they're getting a collection of this extent, specifically advertising it, and it's to the point where MoFi representatives are there...they're not gonna throw a $30 price tag on everything and let people go wild. I'd be stunned if they haven't assessed appropriate pricing on this or are even going to overprice it.

And I can't imagine the reason a record store wouldn't want to throw a hugely in demand item list on Ebay and let them take 10%+ and deal with shipping an item to a mystery buyer unseen...or use an online store front that can't handle the demand for one item of each per piece.

I want to be in this fantasy world.
The shop says things are priced to move. They do also know the valuation of most things since they are a MoFi dealer + hi-fi shop. I doubt there will be any steals, but I also don't think you're gonna see the $2k+ price tags on Sgt Pepper's UHQR that you see on craigslist and ebay.

For the titles around $100, I'd much rather buy something in person and pay a little more to see that its in good shape, and not have to worry about packaging + trusting USPS to get it to me in one piece. And getting a few titles from one place would be rad.

MoFi is there because I bet they are impressed that someone has every album. I bet we'll see it all over their social media. I think it's pretty rad that a shop is doing this and it would be impressive to see the entire collection in one piece. If I lived in LA, I'd definitely show up and see what they have. They also said on FB if someone is interested in buying the entire collection in one piece, they could send a price sheet. I'm almost tempted to ask but don't want to waste their time.

Has anyone who ordered from a European site received their version of What’s Going On yet?

Is the Kevin Gray mastering worldwide or US only?
KG mastering on both but as @Mr Moustache said, possibly pressed at two different plants (PRP and GZ). My deluxe version doesn't have a hype sticker but said made in CZ on the back.

So I'm not sure if this really belongs in the audiophile thread but I did find it really interesting.
So a few years back I got my hands on a bootleg of The Mars Volta "Frances The Mute". This bootleg was out of Europe and of strangely high quality. All the packaging was thick stock, triple gatefold, vinyl was about 140-160 gram, artwork was high res, identical in quality to the OG. Basically it's identical to the OG release in every way except it's missing the side 6 etching. And it sounds good, not like a CD rip. It's got good highs, punchy bass, it sounds like it's been mastered specifically for vinyl. Which is odd for a bootleg. However around the time this boot came out Music On Vinyl was in the process of the releasing their versions of the early Volta catalogue. They had already released De-Loused and were apparently putting the finishing touches on their Frances The Mute when the band found out about the releases and threw a fit. Claimed they were bootlegs and illegal and against their wishes. They weren't, but MOV abandoned the project and scrapped the almost completed Frances release. Then soon after this very high quality bootleg appeared and the rumor I've read is that it was basically the ressurected MOV release that someone had essentially smuggled out of MOV following the cancellation. No idea if it's true but the quality on this thing would seem to indicate it's more than just your average bootleg. So this week I received a copy of the new "Official" re-release of the album from Clouds Hill. And... well... friends the bootleg is better. The packaging is better, more accurate to the original, thicker nicer in every way and the mastering on the album is better on the bootleg than the official release. I'm still not certain but after hearing the two of them I really do believe this bootleg is actually the zombie MOV release. The new one isn't bad, but the boot has more natural highs and punchier bass and these are two things i would definitely not expect from what would normally be a CD rip.

Anyhow, don't know if it's true but it certainly seems plausible to me. Thought that was kinda interesting...
I had seen this too and it's very interesting. The idea of somebody smuggling the MOV release out is really funny. You don't seem to be the only one who thinks the boot is better.

I had seen this too and it's very interesting. The idea of somebody smuggling the MOV release out is really funny. You don't seem to be the only one who thinks the boot is better.
Yeah I really wasn't expecting it but you can really tell on the highs. Sustain on the bells on The Widow etc... Really seems like a professionally done job all the way around.

Newbury has some MoFis (including One Steps) available. Inflated prices but 20% off today and tomorrow

Monk + Mingus One Steps are $200 each sealed which is a pretty good deal now.

20220403_210459.jpg
Okay so this one is great. Super fun album, Mingus just going nuts on the final track. Really well done by SC. It's not the absolute best sounding recording I've heard so I wouldn't put it in demo territory but I think that's down to the original recording. It was recorded in 61 so it's still relatively early but to my ears it sounds very good and natural and if you're a fan I wouldn't hesitate to pick this up. It's almost like Jazz/Blues with him actually singing on some of the tracks. Rather than just shouting like a maniac from the back of the room (which is also obviously great) like he does on so many others. Super fun album.

20220403_210511.jpg

And now this accursed album. I initially bought this one a year ago and it came out of the jacket just riddled with scratches due to loose vinyl in the sleeves. I finally got another copy of it this week, it sounds incredible... UNTIL you reach side two and it's got some of the worst no fill I've ever seen or heard. It's from Pallas too. So I would avoid this repress because the sheer amount of no fill on this would indicate to me that it's very likely to be on a lot of these that came off the line. If you can get it from somewhere easily returnable then do it but otherwise I wouldn't. But man it SOUNDS SO GOOD if you get a clean copy.

Last edited:
Back