Definitive Audiophile pressings

Firefox on iOS / mobile?

Looks good on desktop for me in both regular and Retina display. Guess I'm downloading Firefox to my phone for testing.

There were issues at first yesterday, but it's been ok for me today on Chrome on my laptop and on Safari on my iPhone, if it helps.

There were issues at first yesterday, but it's been ok for me today on Chrome on my laptop and on Safari on my iPhone, if it helps.

Yeah, I saw the issue yesterday and had it fixed within five minutes. Everyone saying they cleared their cache and still see it has me questioning whether it has truly been fixed or not.

So I'm not sure if this really belongs in the audiophile thread but I did find it really interesting.
So a few years back I got my hands on a bootleg of The Mars Volta "Frances The Mute". This bootleg was out of Europe and of strangely high quality. All the packaging was thick stock, triple gatefold, vinyl was about 140-160 gram, artwork was high res, identical in quality to the OG. Basically it's identical to the OG release in every way except it's missing the side 6 etching. And it sounds good, not like a CD rip. It's got good highs, punchy bass, it sounds like it's been mastered specifically for vinyl. Which is odd for a bootleg. However around the time this boot came out Music On Vinyl was in the process of the releasing their versions of the early Volta catalogue. They had already released De-Loused and were apparently putting the finishing touches on their Frances The Mute when the band found out about the releases and threw a fit. Claimed they were bootlegs and illegal and against their wishes. They weren't, but MOV abandoned the project and scrapped the rumoured almost completed Frances release. Then soon after, this very high quality bootleg appeared and the rumor I've read is that it was basically the resurrected MOV release that someone had essentially smuggled out of MOV following the cancellation. No idea if it's true but the quality on this thing would seem to indicate it's more than just your average bootleg. So this week I received a copy of the new "Official" re-release of the album from Clouds Hill. And... well... friends the bootleg is better. The packaging is better, more accurate to the original, thicker nicer in every way and the mastering on the album is better on the bootleg than the official release. I'm still not certain but after hearing the two of them I really do believe this bootleg is actually the zombie MOV release. The new one isn't bad, but the boot has more natural highs and punchier bass and these are two things i would definitely not expect from what would normally be a CD rip.

Anyhow, don't know if it's true but it certainly seems plausible to me. Thought that was kinda interesting...
I got this one:

Just 2 LPs, probably not the same plates.

A lot of times I wonder why I even bother with vinyl. Between the warps, off-center pressings, and other defects. Then there's the pressing delays and outrageous pricing, yada yada yada. Then comes along Impex and Matador, and then I'm reminded. It can sound so good! If you don't own this one and like jazz, I highly recommend this latest reissue. 🔥

0407221518.jpg

A lot of times I wonder why I even bother with vinyl. Between the warps, off-center pressings, and other defects. Then there's the pressing delays and outrageous pricing, yada yada yada. Then comes along Impex and Matador, and then I'm reminded. It can sound so good! If you don't own this one and like jazz, I highly recommend this latest reissue. 🔥

View attachment 134911
Good to hear, I ordered a copy last night

I'm sure this is redundant, but giving the records a cleaning with a UC has made all the difference, a HUGE difference, probably the only noticeable difference I have actually been able to hear. Everything is brighter, smoother, PUNCHY. (is that a word?) The stylus making full contact with the grooves has made me appreciate my "audiophile" records that much more. I know I'm late but I really can't recommend it enough. OK, I'm done /rant

View attachment 134911
ugh, just ordered.

Plaid Room has a few interesting restocks:

Back