Definitive Audiophile pressings

Really surprised that they're doubling up on the AP Prestige titles. I have the $40 AP title on back order which will almost certainly be good enough for me
I also have the AP on backorder, I guess I have a couple of days to consider which way I'm going as this was one of the first jazz cd's a friend gave me 20+ years ago and I have very fond memories of it.

That was my feeling as well. I didn't know the bit about him trying to get out of his prestige contract but that totally makes sense now that you've mentioned it. Never felt like a special album to me - I thought it was because of the commercial feel to it but now that you mention it, it's clear it was rushed and him just churning it out.

Hopefully enough for me to avoid the fomo then.
If memory serves me he was locked into a contract with Prestige (Weinstock) but wanted to go to Columbia (Avakian). Weinstock and Avakian came up with a deal where Davis could record for Columbia but nothing could be released until he had met the obligations of the Prestige contract. So in order to get out of the contract Davis recorded the 4 albums in the space of 2 sessions. Presumably, each album's track's were picked from the sessions around a basic theme, which is why each one sounds incredibly similar in approach.

Jazz and the dullest of prog and classic rock. Utterly predictable at this stage. Anything even remotely modern would be nice, it’s like the world of music ended in 1980

While I love Jazz, I agree it would be nice to see some of the other genres get some love. Craft has access to Otis Redding and Isaac Hayes. Those would have been awesome choices to give the audiophile treatment.

However, given the choice of another Jazz release vs. a one-step of a Seether or Switchfoot album, I am going with Jazz. :D

I would like to put forth a motion to officially ban all Miles Davis titles from future fancy One Steps/UHQRs. We have enough Miles Davis, there are numerous audiophile pressings of every single Miles Davis album. We do not need any more, do something interesting.
There are new and returning jazz fans everyday, (from a art form that was supposedly dieing in the 90's), new and old people getting back into vinyl, who love Miles etc they deserve Miles as well. If companies put Miles out and make good profit on it it turns into other projects, records to. It helps pay people working at businesses and pressing plants through covid a living wage with health insurance.

Reactions: .Z.
There are new and returning jazz fans everyday, (from a art form that was supposedly dieing in the 90's), new and old people getting back into vinyl, who love Miles etc they deserve Miles as well. If companies put Miles out and make good profit on it it turns into other projects, records to. It helps pay people working at businesses and pressing plants through covid a living wage with health insurance.
I wish the audiophile stuff would be re-released and kept in print.

Likely a result of who manages these projects and their age. But yeah, I'd enjoy some modern audiophile titles as well.

Yeah it totally is that for craft because their tied what they own. That’s said their roster is wider than what they’ve even been willing to cover so far. But the other audiophile labels licence and they’re just so stale and unimaginative in what they do licence. And the age and blinkers of the curators is an issue with them, particularly MoFi and AP. They really need to hire A&R staff under the age of 60. It’s almost like they’d rather one step a village fete band who did a bad covers set from 1970 than anything modern.

Last edited:
Jazz and the dullest of prog and classic rock. Utterly predictable at this stage. Anything even remotely modern would be nice, it’s like the world of music ended in 1980
I think Craft will work their way into other genres but they aren’t gonna license other stuff they don’t own to do so. In terms of post-80s rock, they have certain REM titles, Violent Femmes and then a bunch of crappy 90s + 2000s stuff. I agree that I wish someone would do more modern music. If I had the money to do so, I'd start a label that did some more modern releases in audiophile quality. Also, I'm fine with the Craft reissues of the REM stuff so far--it all sounds great and it's $25 or $30 instead of $100.

While I love Jazz, I agree it would be nice to see some of the other genres get some love. Craft has access to Otis Redding and Isaac Hayes. Those would have been awesome choices to give the audiophile treatment.

However, given the choice of another Jazz release vs. a one-step of a Seether or Switchfoot album, I am going with Jazz. :D
Craft does NOT have Otis Redding sadly. They only own post 1968 stax albums for the most part when Stax got screwed on rights. I was hoping for Isaac Hayes this time...really hoping they branch out into some Blues or Soul titles though.

Yeah it totally is that for craft because their tied what they own. That’s said their roster is wider than what they’ve even willing to cover so far. But. the other audiophile labels licence and they’re just so stale and unimaginative in what they do licence. And the age and blinkers of the curators is an issue with MoFi and AP. They really need to hire A&R staff under the age of 60. It’s almost like they’d rather one step a village fete band who did and bad covers set from 1970 than anything modern.
Craft did a fantastic job with the REM New Adventures in Hi-Fi reissue - why not do an album like that as a one step? Or Violent Femmes, or any of the other 80's/90's artists they have??

Sure but I'm not saying Miles Davis should be banned. Right now you can easily get an OJC of this title, or a Prestige, and the AP repress is also coming. This repress is entirely unnecessary.

Last edited:
I think Craft will work their way into other genres but they aren’t gonna license other stuff they don’t own to do so. In terms of post-80s rock, they have certain REM titles, Violent Femmes and then a bunch of crappy 90s + 2000s stuff. I agree that I wish

Craft does NOT have Otis Redding sadly. They only own post 1968 stax albums for the most part when Stax got screwed on rights. I was hoping for Isaac Hayes this time...really hoping they branch out into some Blues or Soul titles though.
I was really hoping for Isaac Hayes. I wasn't expecting R.E.M. because Automatic would be the title to do this with and it was recently reissued.

Back