Definitive Audiophile pressings

Likely a result of who manages these projects and their age. But yeah, I'd enjoy some modern audiophile titles as well.
I've spoken to the people at Craft. They aren't old like the folks at MoFi. It'll be interesting to see if/when they branch out to other genres. I don't entirely love the whole roster of later acts they have and have been really happy with the REM stuff so far even though I prefer their earlier albums.

I've spoken to the people at Craft. They aren't old like the folks at MoFi. It'll be interesting to see if/when they branch out to other genres. I don't entirely love the whole roster of later acts they have and have been really happy with the REM stuff so far even though I prefer their earlier albums.

I mean, it doesn’t fit the “exciting”. But they have the Willburys, they’re post 1980 and they could press as many of them as they want and it would sell. The REM WB stuff upto new Adventure too, they could pick whatever quantities they wanted. Press extra and use it to experiment with a potential loss leader thats really out there. It’s not only jazz and 70s prog and classic rock that sells and that deserves this treatment.

I'm curious what modern artist you all would like to see audiophile reissues for.

For me, Radiohead would be a good candidate. All their US pressings are basically mediocre or worse.

Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, or other post-rock would fare well as audiophile releases. Though, Mogwai pressings usually sound quite good.

Sure but I'm not saying Miles Davis should be banned. Right now you can easily get an OJC of this title, or a Prestige, and the AP repress is also coming. This is entirely unnecessary.
Makes no sense to me. Whatever, I’m happy I don’t have to “worry” about this one.

This title was likely already in production before AP got the rights to repress. Had there been no AP repress, I think it's a great title to do (if you like jazz of course). Outside of the AP which is $150+ on discogs, it is hardly a title that has been done to death. You have a bunch of OJCs but otherwise it hasn't been easy to find high quality pressings of it. I like jazz, will probably buy this one since I don't own it but it's not a title I'm super excited about. If I miss it, I miss it.

I definitely agree that other genres should be done and different titles. I just think some other company needs to step up and do it. Craft is limited to the titles they own licenses for. Really hope they do some Isaac Hayes though...they could also potentially do some blues titles.

I'm curious what modern artist you all would like to see audiophile reissues for.

For me, Radiohead would be a good candidate. All their US pressings are basically mediocre or worse.

Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, or other post-rock would fare well as audiophile releases. Though, Mogwai pressings usually sound quite good.
Give me some D'Angelo dammit! They recorded Black Messiah to tape but then used a digital master to press the vinyl for some reason. I think all his albums are recorded to tape.

I think that's my concern with all this. I don't want a one step if a standard pressing will sound as good. Would a One Step REM sound any better than what they are currently doing? TBH honest the same goes for a lot of titles, Jazz included, but I'm assuming the well recorded 60's & 70's titles will produce the best results for One Steps.

The Eastern Sounds is amazing, it's such a gamble to pay so much for a record, not knowing if it will be any better than a $20 version.

I thunk that's my concern with all this. I don't want a one step if a standard pressing will sound as good. Would a One Step REM sound any better than what they are currently doing? TBH honest the same goes for a lot of titles, Jazz included, but I'm assuming the well recorded 60's & 70's titles will produce the best results for One Steps.

The Eastern Sounds is amazing, it's such a gamble to pay so much for a record, not knowing if it will be any better than a $20 version.
There are some albums that I have OG pressings of and the One Steps trounce the sound on them. Blood on the Tracks comes to mind and so does Harry Nilsson - Nilsson Schmillson. I thought my OGs sounded good, then I heard the one steps.

I did notice that when signing up for the small batch email list, they asked what genres you wanted to see more of, so hopefully they are taking some of that into account when choosing future titles. I do like the quality of most of Craft's $30 reissues too and not sure that stuff like REM would be that much better on One Step. The REM reissues I have from Craft sound incredible already.

I'd love some audiophile Radiohead. Also - the Cure, Depeche Mode, the National

I think that's my concern with all this. I don't want a one step if a standard pressing will sound as good. Would a One Step REM sound any better than what they are currently doing? TBH honest the same goes for a lot of titles, Jazz included, but I'm assuming the well recorded 60's & 70's titles will produce the best results for One Steps.

I have the One Step and a $17 RTI-pressed OJC of Eastern Sounds. I'm not entirely convinced the One Step sounds better, quite honestly.

I think Craft will work their way into other genres but they aren’t gonna license other stuff they don’t own to do so. In terms of post-80s rock, they have certain REM titles, Violent Femmes and then a bunch of crappy 90s + 2000s stuff. I agree that I wish someone would do more modern music. If I had the money to do so, I'd start a label that did some more modern releases in audiophile quality. Also, I'm fine with the Craft reissues of the REM stuff so far--it all sounds great and it's $25 or $30 instead of $100.

Craft does NOT have Otis Redding sadly. They only own post 1968 stax albums for the most part when Stax got screwed on rights. I was hoping for Isaac Hayes this time...really hoping they branch out into some Blues or Soul titles though.
Ooh, I didn't realize that, bummer. I was going off of what I saw on their own website. I thought they had access to part of his catalog.

1649870020780.png

The One step definitely sounds better on my system. Whether or not it's $80 better, that's a whole different story...

The one album that did sound €105 better than a standard pressing, and €90 better than the disappoint 33 MoFi standard, was the one step blood on the tracks. That’s utterly magnificent.

Ooh, I didn't realize that, bummer. I was going off of what I saw on their own website. I thought they had access to part of his catalog.

View attachment 135567
They only own one or two of his titles. Pretty much anything released after 1968 I think. I believe Warner owns the rest of his albums, which is why they reissued them as part of the Otis box set. Craft owns the live at the whiskey a go go album and Lonely Blue. Not sure if they own any other titles by him.

There are some albums that I have OG pressings of and the One Steps trounce the sound on them. Blood on the Tracks comes to mind and so does Harry Nilsson - Nilsson Schmillson. I thought my OGs sounded good, then I heard the one steps.

I did notice that when signing up for the small batch email list, they asked what genres you wanted to see more of, so hopefully they are taking some of that into account when choosing future titles. I do like the quality of most of Craft's $30 reissues too and not sure that stuff like REM would be that much better on One Step. The REM reissues I have from Craft sound incredible already.

Completely agree But please don't give MofI any ideas of releasing a Nilsson Schmilson One Step. I would probably talk myself into it, even thought the standard 45 issue is spectacular

I have the One Step and a $17 RTI-pressed OJC of Eastern Sounds. I'm not entirely convinced the One Step sounds better, quite honestly.
The One step definitely sounds better on my system. Whether or not it's $80 better, that's a whole different story...
Same here. I bought the $15 amazon copy to evaluate that exact question bc I would have gladly sold my Craft One Step if they were close enough to my ears. They weren’t on my system.

The OJC sounds good and, given current vinyl prices, a great deal in that $15-20 price range. If that was the only copy I owned, I‘d be happy. But I felt there was a sufficient difference to keep the One Step. Soundstage and clarity/erosion of cymbals were a couple things I noticed, and I did multiple A/B attempts to verify I wasn’t imagining it. I don’t think I was.

Fleet Foxes would SOAR with audiophile mastering/pressing

Back