Definitive Audiophile pressings

@MikeH reminded me, I saw the time/date on their last Instagram post. I might have misunderstood though. I thought they were announcing at that time but that's just the last time to sign up for their alerts. I assume it will be imminent though.

IMG_7659.jpg

On the plus side, the Instagram story that I posted shows at least 2534 copies and I think we can assume its at least 3000 (which I believe they have stated before) so there will hopefully be less of a mad rush to secure a copy.

hmm, how much better can it be than the AP tbhough ?

How much do these small batch usually run ?

Are they Very limited or fairly easy to get when released ?

tx
The past 2, John Coltrane - Lush Life & Yusef Lateef - Eastern Sounds, have sold out incredibly fast and were limited to 1000 copies.

This time around it's 5000 copies so should be easier to get hold of. Worth noting that Craft did say that the first 2 were to test the waters and it's likely that the pricing might have changed. The last 2 were £75 plus shipping here in the UK but looking back I did have a discount code that got it down to £69 total.

hmm, how much better can it be than the AP though ?

Are they Very limited or fairly easy to get when released ( I see Will mentioned a code, and I hate jumping through hoops) ?

tx
They were $99 plus shipping last time. Priority USPS is likely the cheapest shipping option now (so $15 probably). You should expect to drop $120 on this with shipping and tax.

They are very limited. The last rounds of 1000 sold out in minutes. This one is out of 5000, so it might last a bit longer.

So, I really enjoy Relaxin'. Great album. But I also already own a RTI-pressed OJC of this title that sounds amazing. Guess I have until Friday to decide if I want to drop $100+ on another copy.

Edit: wish they would have released a blues album as a One-step.

hmm, how much better can it be than the AP though ?

Are they Very limited or fairly easy to get when released ( I see Will mentioned a code & 5K, and I hate jumping through hoops) ?

tx
They will probably sell out Friday afternoon. They aren’t going to sell out in 1 minute like last time, but I truly doubt they will last hours or a whole day.

@Selaws if it’s a 33 and one disc I can’t see them raising the price. There was no coupon for Eastern Sounds IIRC, only Coltrane

Nice that this is 5000 copies.. hopefully makes it easy to pick up then. I'm not convinced I need this album though.
My thing with this album has always been that it's really part of a 4 album set - Relaxin', Steamin', Workin', and Cookin'.

Davis was keen to get out of his Prestige contract so he could move on, and did so by recording these sessions within 2 days. I have listened to them individually countless times but really its the same sidemen, same session, same mood. So to have 1 in a high-quality audiophile edition without the others seems a bit strange to me.

They will probably sell out Friday afternoon. They aren’t going to sell out in 1 minute like last time, but I truly doubt they will last hours or a whole day.

@Selaws if it’s a 33 and one disc I can’t see them raising the price. There was no coupon for Eastern Sounds IIRC, only Coltrane
Hopefully not but I do remember reading something at the time when they were discussing pressing numbers and how the initial 2 were to test the waters for the future. I'm almost certain price changes were mentioned, but who knows.

My thing with this album has always been that it's really part of a 4 album set - Relaxin', Steamin', Workin', and Cookin'.

Davis was keen to get out of his Prestige contract so he could move on, and did so by recording these sessions within 2 days. I have listened to them individually countless times but really its the same sidemen, same session, same mood. So to have 1 in a high-quality audiophile edition without the others seems a bit strange to me.

That was my feeling as well. I didn't know the bit about him trying to get out of his prestige contract but that totally makes sense now that you've mentioned it. Never felt like a special album to me - I thought it was because of the commercial feel to it but now that you mention it, it's clear it was rushed and him just churning it out.

Hopefully enough for me to avoid the fomo then.

Back