Definitive Audiophile pressings

ut oh....

supposedly lacquers are cut by Kevin Gray....
Where do you see lacquers by Kevin Gray?

Any chance anyone has any opinions on a "well" mastered/pressed Elvis comp?

I've been looking at this, the original 2002 pressing looks to be from the master tapes. Too big a discography, but enough classics to warrant good GH ;)
https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/108954/Elvis_Presley-Elvis_30_1_Hits-180_Gram_Vinyl_Record
24 Karat Hits for sure. Best I’ve ever heard most of the songs. Though Heartbreak Hotel doesn’t sound all that great on it for some reason.

Where do you see lacquers by Kevin Gray?
there was supposedly a video to accompany this announcement on youtube that said lacquers cut by KG but it got taken down for now.

edit: the vid is here:

says lacquers of the new stereo mix cut by kevin gray at cohearant. seems to be just the deluxe 2LP one though that he cut.

Last edited:
there was supposedly a video to accompany this announcement on youtube that said lacquers cut by KG but it got taken down for now.

edit: the vid is here:

says lacquers of the new stereo mix cut by kevin gray at cohearant. seems to be just the deluxe 2LP one though that he cut.

From the craft site on features tab.

Audio has been remixed and mastered by Paul Blakemore from the original three-track and two-track sources.

From the craft site on features tab.

Audio has been remixed and mastered by Paul Blakemore from the original three-track and two-track sources.
remixed/master is different from lacquer cut. KG cut lacquers on this new version according to the video.

remixed/master is different from lacquer cut. KG cut lacquers on this new version according to the video.

Cutting the lacquer kind of is mastering though? Very few mastering artists get the opportunity to remix? They tend to get the already mixed master tape to master from rather than the individual tracks?

Edit: I suppose thinking about it he could have got a digital file that had already been mastered for vinyl and just be overseeing the lacquer being cut and doing very fine adjustments.

Cutting the lacquer kind of is mastering though? Very few mastering artists get the opportunity to remix? They tend to get the already mixed master tape to master from rather than the individual tracks?

Edit: I suppose thinking about it he could have got a digital file that had already been mastered for vinyl and just be overseeing the lacquer being cut and doing very fine adjustments.
that's my guess. digital remix from transfers of the tape. then KG cut lacquers from the digital files.
IMG_BFDEF4F1AC8B-1.jpeg

I love the idea of all these executives sitting around a table deciding what to reissue and ending upon on A Charlie Brown Christmas AGAIN.

"So we have a few options here, a cool release from the 70's that's never been reissued, a crate diggers dream find from the 80's, or a madly sought after 90's album?"

"Cool cool, but how about we go with "A Charlie Brown Christmas"? Its been AT LEAST 10 months since we last reissued it!!"

I love the idea of all these executives sitting around a table deciding what to reissue and ending upon on A Charlie Brown Christmas AGAIN.

"So we have a few options here, a cool release from the 70's that's never been reissued, a crate diggers dream find from the 80's, or a madly sought after 90's album?"

"Cool cool, but how about we go with "A Charlie Brown Christmas"? Its been AT LEAST 10 months since we last reissued it!!"
to be somewhat fair, bunch of outtakes, different mix and cut at least this time. otherwise outside of the AP it's been the same mix since 1988 hah. and craft does put out some great lesser known stuff too.

but space at the pressing plants opened up now that black pumas are taking a break.

to be somewhat fair, bunch of outtakes, different mix and cut at least this time. otherwise outside of the AP it's been the same mix since 1988 hah. and craft does put out some great lesser known stuff too.

but space at the pressing plants opened up now that black pumas are taking a break.

Re-issue! Re-package! Re-package!
Re-evaluate the songs
Double-pack with a photograph
Extra track (and a tacky badge)

This is for the Crosleys to spin on those play dates.

Oh I get it and my comment was a bit flippant really. It is a great Christmassy album for sure but god damn its getting milked for all its worth.

Back