Definitive Audiophile pressings

there's a reason why the album is 5x platinum...

and that reason is that they do 20 different versions of the same pressing every year haha.
Yeah, I’m not going to knock a for-profit company repressing/reissuing a good product at a reasonable price, which this is — at least the standard version I have, both musically and sonically. I agree they milk the market a little w/ new versions each year, but that’s a minor quibble.

And Vince Guaraldi Trio was the exclusive music on a children’s cartoon, when they could have gone with complete schlock, and I’m certain it improved my musical tastes/standards growing up. And some of it grooves! There’s a reason Pigpen had this much dirt flying off him during Linus & Lucy. He may be the original wook!

0E6F6791-0D3C-42F5-A8FC-9A1029146DDE.gif

Yeah, I’m not going to knock a for-profit company repressing/reissuing a good product at a reasonable price, which this is — at least the standard version I have, both musically and sonically. I agree they milk the market a little w/ new versions each year, but that’s a minor quibble.

And Vince Guaraldi Trio was the exclusive music on a children’s cartoon, when they could have gone with complete schlock, and I’m certain it improved my musical tastes/standards growing up. And some of it grooves! There’s a reason Pigpen had this much dirt flying off him during Linus & Lucy:

View attachment 149021
I was mostly teasing haha. I love this album and have multiple copies of it now. Everybody should have a copy of it. Just kinda funny that by my count, there are already 9 variants this year already and it's mid-August.

Re-issue! Re-package! Re-package!
Re-evaluate the songs
Double-pack with a photograph
Extra track (and a tacky badge)
If it sells every year before Christmas, they will keep on pumping it out annually.

And to get the 'audiophile' crowd who love to buy the same record over and over and over and over again, they will stick in a new twist every time to make sure they get that cash as well.

Just here to vent that I've just returned Radiohead-In Rainbows for the 9th time and counting from 3 different retailers (amazon, Walmart, and acoustic sounds) because they were all badly warped — except one which had the worst surface noise I've ever heard on a new unopened record. The lord does not want me to have this album on vinyl.

Just here to vent that I've just returned Radiohead-In Rainbows for the 9th time and counting from 3 different retailers (amazon, Walmart, and acoustic sounds) because they were all badly warped — except one which had the worst surface noise I've ever heard on a new unopened record. The lord does not want me to have this album on vinyl.
i might have a spare but will have to look this weekend. i upgraded to the discbox and can't remember if i have the regular pressing anymore.

As someone who owns 7 Radiohead albums on vinyl I'm going to give you a little advice.

Do not buy Radiohead on vinyl.

nah the discbox is killer and so are a bunch of the early pressings.

i really hope that somebody can do a really good reissue campaign for their stuff, but i honestly don't think radiohead care about it.
Right. But all of those pressings are $150-200 a shot. If you don't want to spend that you get what @keylime_5 is going through and what I went through with never ending copies of their reissues, they are inconsistent at best, total garbage at worst. And yes, they absolutely do not care.

Right. But all of those pressings are $150-200 a shot. If you don't want to spend that you get what @keylime_5 is going through and what I went through with never ending copies of their reissues, they are inconsistent at best, total garbage at worst. And yes, they absolutely do not care.
true--i ended up buying opened/used copies of some of their later album reissues to avoid all the inconsistencies. it's really frustrating. seems like they really care about the sound when the album is made and then once they're done with it, they're like fuck it--we don't care how it sounds now.

Yes! And most certainly not current issue XL American pressings!
To @MikeH's point, unless there's a actual solid re-issue campaign, I have what I have. And ya, the XL pressing are less than stellar, but I'm not chasing pressings or overspending on Radiohead. Love the albums, love the band, but I'd go the CD route before chasing anything on vinyl at this point.

To @MikeH's point, unless there's a actual solid re-issue campaign, I have what I have. And ya, the XL pressing are less than stellar, but I'm not chasing pressings or overspending on Radiohead. Love the albums, love the band, but I'd go the CD route before chasing anything on vinyl at this point.

Yeah I’ll be honest beyond the Parlphones or the In Rainbows box the best they sound by some way is high res streaming. Some of the EU XL pressings at optimal are better pressings tbf but it’s just a pain for you guys to have to even go to those lengths.

Yeah I’ll be honest beyond the Parlphones or the In Rainbows box the best they sound by some way is high res streaming. Some of the EU XL pressings at optimal are better pressings tbf but it’s just a pain for you guys to have to even go to those lengths.
It absolutely sucks Tidal does not have high res for them. It's "only" CD quality. Which to be honest still beats a fair share of the vinyl. Where do you stream them in high res?

It absolutely sucks Tidal does not have high res for them. It's "only" CD quality. Which to be honest still beats a fair share of the vinyl. Where do you stream them in high res?
I believe Qobuz only has CD rips as well (they do seem to have some 44.1 24bit files).

edit: some albums like OK Computer (OKNOTOK) have a 96/24 on qobuz

Back