Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

You guys read your notifications?

I do - lots of bad edits happen.

Not really a fan of having both messages and notifications now, but whatever. I read them all, because there's a lot of new users that don't quite know what they are doing and mess things up. That's not exclusive to new users - but they seem to do it more often.

I also have 5000+ releases in my collection, so I get a decent amount of messages per day.

Most of the time it's just an "added variant" edit - so I really don't look at those, but when they don't add a lot of info to the sub edit I take a look at what was changed.

Stuff like this

A date was added to a release that is date-less for a reason. They added 2015 when the submission on Discogs was made in 2012.
They also didn't have a source, so things like that need to be reviewed.

Last edited:
:D oh my god.

The last commenter even made a post on the "Post the funniest thing you read today on Discogs" about how someone tried to remove a release to remove it from their collection - Another user and I called them out right after.

This Jethro sub is also a release where I had to deal with Obscured-By-Crowdz again - just before all this removal stuff. The only reason I'm getting these notifications is because of them and now I dislike them even more.

Looks like all the Discogs maintenance issues of the day have messed up the previous sales so everything looks like it has never sold.

Low/Median/High values are still at least viewable in the Collection view, but every sub currently has this - also - not liking the removal of the "as low as" $$ next to how many copies are being sold.

Hope this all gets fixed today.

Screenshot 2024-06-24 124157.png

I really wish there was an easier way to copy/paste the details of one submission to another.

I have this one: https://www.discogs.com/release/15301451-Lido-Pimienta-Miss-Colombia
and most all the details are the same except the runouts and barcode of this one: https://www.discogs.com/release/15209026-Lido-Pimienta-Miss-Colombia

I could spend an hour or two updating the details of the incomplete submission, but I'd rather not.

why not "accidentally" submit a duplicate, change the runouts/barcode and then put it up for merge using the more complete data? i won't tell...

For Sellers

USPS is increasing shipping rates twice in July​

Here's what's changing on July 1st​

Ground Advantage is increasing by up to $2.11:

• Weight-Based Ground Advantage for shipments that weigh more than 1 pound are increasing by up to $2.11, mostly in 1-5 pounds.
  • Weight-Based Ground Advantage for shipments less than 1 pound are increasing by up to 33 cents for zones 6-8.
  • Ground Advantage Cubic rates are increasing by up to $1.67.
Priority Mail is increasing by up to $3.10:

• Weight-Based Priority Mail rates are increasing by up to $3.10.
  • Priority Mail Cubic rates are increasing by up to $2.97.
  • Priority Mail Flat Rate prices are increasing by up to $1.18.
The new rates will lower the maximum discounts available for USPS compared to Retail Pricing from 89% to 88%.

Here's what's changing on July 14th​

• Media Mail rates will increase by up to 56 cents.
  • Signature Confirmation is going up by 20 cents to $3.70.
These rates are changing everywhere you can buy postage online—there's no escaping them so be sure to always compare rates to get the best deal!

You can read more about the USPS rate increases here.

Anyone else having issues making mass updates to your inventory?

Trying to set mine to draft for while I'm on vacation and getting a 400 error every time. Sometimes it even logs me out.

Miles Showell cutting Glass Animals makes me wonder something and I don’t want anyone to take this as a disparagement of Glass Animals - it just sparked the thought. Do you think mastering engineers care when they are assigned to music they don’t like?

Say KPG was asked to cut Insane Clown Posse. Would he turn it down? Would he do it but do a shitty job? Or would he be like, this pays the bills, and do the same bang up job he does every time?

Miles Showell cutting Glass Animals makes me wonder something and I don’t want anyone to take this as a disparagement of Glass Animals - it just sparked the thought. Do you think mastering engineers care when they are assigned to music they don’t like?

Say KPG was asked to cut Insane Clown Posse. Would he turn it down? Would he do it but do a shitty job? Or would he be like, this pays the bills, and do the same bang up job he does every time?
I think they are professionals and do as good of a job as possible. You look at BoomBoom's CV and he did a lot of indie and alternative bands in the 80s and 90s, I think mostly to get experience. I think people like KPG are at the point now that they can be a little pickier with what he picks up. He seems to like doing jazz albums, but I bet he can knock out a Doobie'a record pretty damn easily and do a good job.

I think they are professionals and do as good of a job as possible. You look at BoomBoom's CV and he did a lot of indie and alternative bands in the 80s and 90s, I think mostly to get experience. I think people like KPG are at the point now that they can be a little pickier with what he picks up. He seems to like doing jazz albums, but I bet he can knock out a Doobie'a record pretty damn easily and do a good job.
I mean that Doobie Bros record he did does sound outstanding.

Back