Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

Something interesting on my copy of Fela Kuti w/ Ginger Baker. The labels on LP1 are on the wrong sides!

"B" dead wax with Side I label and "A" dead wax with Side II label.

Anyone else get one like this?

Still sounds great and that's what matters!

View attachment 131522View attachment 131523

What's the Discogs standard for something like this? Should I just use the normal release or create a separate missprint when adding to my collection?

One thing that always bothered me is when I'm adding a CD to my collection the condition indicator says "Vinyl Condition" instead of CD Condition. Anyone know if this is being looked into? I'd peruse their forums but it's too daunting of a task.

What's the Discogs standard for something like this? Should I just use the normal release or create a separate missprint when adding to my collection?

Is it a widespread issue or just someone fucked up on yours and put the labels in the wrong way around?

My feeling would be with this it’s likely just the normal pressing. Miss print would be more for a spelling or grammar error somewhere that’s replicated across the whole batch?

I’m open to be wrong and corrected on this though!

Just a manufacturing error. You can't make a new sub when the labels are on the wrong side...or if the release had side 1 labels on both sides.

If it were labels for a totally different record, then yes, you could.

I don't really know what would be best.

I know an album like Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere should appear in the main discography of Neil Young.

When NY and CR were joined, this wasn't happening....and "technically" the 2 are separate performers.

Whereas Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers were just a band from the start....same as Elvis Costello And The Attractions.

That being said, I have no desire to jump into that forum thread.

Last edited:
I don't really know what would be best.

I know an album like Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere should appear in the main discography of Neil Young.

When NY and CR were joined, this wasn't happening....and "technically" the 2 are separate performers.

Whereas Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers were just a band from the start....same as Elvis Costello And The Attractions.

That being said, I have no desire to jump into that forum thread.

I mean the Attractions didn’t exist until This Year’s Model. And oooph that one’s worse.

Submitted this test pressing, should I strip out all the credits or leave them?

If it's not on the release, it's best not to have them.

You could use [Uncredited] with the credits, but these would have to come from another source that isn't another release.

I just got a record i sold to someone in Brazil in Feb 2020 😄 He was never notified that it was available for pickup so they sent it back "unclaimed" at the start of April 2020. The package had been soaked and put in a bag so the sleeves have water damage and i can see the record is badly warped just by holding it up.

IMG_5396.jpegIMG_5398.jpegIMG_5401.jpegIMG_5402.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow, that's even longer than the one I just got back from Portugal, that I shipped on December 1, 2021.
Fortunately, mine is still intact.

Does it seem that Discogs prices right now are higher than usual? I was going through my discogs to see if there were any albums I'd be willing to part with for the right price. I hadn't done that since last summer, and I don't remember many of these at these kinds of prices.

I was shocked.

Basic Newbury Comics pressings that I recall were sitting on their site for months on end before I bought them years ago are now going for insane prices.

Is it inflation? people trying to make a quick buck? is the bubble about to pop?

Does it seem that Discogs prices right now are higher than usual? I was going through my discogs to see if there were any albums I'd be willing to part with for the right price. I hadn't done that since last summer, and I don't remember many of these at these kinds of prices.

I was shocked.

Basic Newbury Comics pressings that I recall were sitting on their site for months on end before I bought them years ago are now going for insane prices.

Is it inflation? people trying to make a quick buck? is the bubble about to pop?

I think prices have risen but also the Vinyl Collector market is full of people with more money than patience. Some of these have been out of print for a little bit (though The Femmes and Broken Bells have been recently repressed in standard black wax) and I think if the price is high across the board some folks will go for the colored pressing since the price difference is nominal, but once the market is flush with new pressings, the prices go down on the standard pressings but will remain sky high on the colored pressings due to there being less availability. It creates a false sense of value. I mean I am sure someone who is a hardcore fan might spring for the Femmes on colored wax going for 4x the price of a standard black pressing but most folks are gonna just buy the black wax.

Back