Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

Apologize if this has been covered before, but I'm curious how most people handle shipping:

1) Pirate Ship
2) PayPal
3) USPS
4) Other

Are you printing labels at home?

I'm just using USPS media mail right now. It works fine - but I'm wonder if there's something cheaper, more convenient, etc.

I generally use PayPal -> ShipStation and choose USPS Media Mail from there. My understanding is that Pirateship's rates ultimately end up cheaper but I could be wrong and honestly, ShipStation does what I need it to.

If my printer is on the fritz then I'll just bring it down to my local USPS and choose Media Mail from there and have them print the label but I don't prefer that for a few different reasons.

Apologize if this has been covered before, but I'm curious how most people handle shipping:

1) Pirate Ship
2) PayPal
3) USPS
4) Other

I'm just using USPS media mail right now. It works fine - but I'm wonder if there's something cheaper, more convenient, etc.
I don't own a printer so I normally just do USPS Media Mail. I handwrite the addresses and go to my post office. I used to charge $3.50 but over the past year upped it to $4.00. If it's a single LP it's like $3.85~ double LP maybe $4.10. I've never had someone complain over 20 cents give or take.

1) Pirate Ship
2) PayPal
3) USPS
4) Other

PirateShip, printing labels at home and taping them to boxes awkwardly.

hello there, so after several years of thinking about it I finally decided to start selling some records, opted for tracked shipping to Canada and the US only, recently had to fill out my first ever customs declaration form, and now I'm wondering if there's even a slight chance that a buyer from the US could be hit with duties if I declare the price they actually paid. the reason I'm doing this is that the coverage up to $100 is a part of tracked shipping price by Canada Post so if the package is damaged I'd rather be covered for what I'll have to refund instead of, say, $10. also, should I mark my shipments as "gifts"? any advice from experienced sellers would be really appreciated!

hello there, so after several years of thinking about it I finally decided to start selling some records, opted for tracked shipping to Canada and the US only, recently had to fill out my first ever customs declaration form, and now I'm wondering if there's even a slight chance that a buyer from the US could be hit with duties if I declare the price they actually paid. the reason I'm doing this is that the coverage up to $100 is a part of tracked shipping price by Canada Post so if the package is damaged I'd rather be covered for what I'll have to refund instead of, say, $10. also, should I mark my shipments as "gifts"? any advice from experienced sellers would be really appreciated!
You should protect yourself by declaring the full amount paid. And these aren't gifts, so I wouldn't mark them as such. You're selling to strangers, and you don't owe them more than the item as described, packaged securely and shipped promptly for the agreed price.

You should protect yourself by declaring the full amount paid. And these aren't gifts, so I wouldn't mark them as such. You're selling to strangers, and you don't owe them more than the item as described, packaged securely and shipped promptly for the agreed price.
This, exactly.

I mean I declare PIFs to be $2000 dollars worth and ship C.O.D. but that's because I like to think of Night @Mather having awkward conversations with mounties and the postal service. For non-PIFs I declare the value.

Just got payment through eCheck. Anything I should know? PayPal said to wait a few days until it hits my account, but I didn't know there were e-checks lol.

This, exactly.

I mean I declare PIFs to be $2000 dollars worth and ship C.O.D. but that's because I like to think of Night @Mather having awkward conversations with mounties and the postal service. For non-PIFs I declare the value.

I'm still curious if getting hit with duties for something shipped from Canada is something that ever happens to you guys - like, should I add a disclaimer to my seller terms if I don't ship outside of North America

1) Pirate Ship
2) PayPal
3) USPS
4) Other

I'm a big fan of pirate ship, as long as you have a printer at home. Their interface is super easy to use and you can just set up a preset for a 1LP media mail package. Then you copy/paste the address and hit buy and then print. Since it's already paid for, I can skip the line at the post office, walk up and hand it to someone there to scan.

I'm still curious if getting hit with duties for something shipped from Canada is something that ever happens to you guys - like, should I add a disclaimer to my seller terms if I don't ship outside of North America
I've bought from Europe and Canalandia (including from @jamieanderson1968 on here) from both businesses and private sellers on cogs and never been hit with it, even though I have seen that they've listed it on their forms that are on the package.

I'm in the US and I have placed orders for LPs from the UK and Japan, many over $100, but I have never been hit with duties. Dunno if it is different from Canada to the US, but you could add terms that the buyer is responsible for those.

I guess I was being rhetorical. I meant how can Discogs allow sellers do this on a regular basis? Thankfully I disabled the daily email and just go into my Discogs inbox once a week or so.

It may the the quantity feature.

If i have 10 of something, I list one so I'm not spamming the sales list and when they sell discogs adds the next one. Each time it resends the email that the item is available.

They may not be doing it on purpose.

It may the the quantity feature.

If i have 10 of something, I list one so I'm not spamming the sales list and when they sell discogs adds the next one. Each time it resends the email that the item is available.

They may not be doing it on purpose.
Some yes, you are correct I think. But others are being done on purpose. One seller can only get so many OG near mint copies of Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me in stock. I usually find it is with higher priced "white whales" that sellers will do this so their item shows up first in search results.

I'm in the US and I have placed orders for LPs from the UK and Japan, many over $100, but I have never been hit with duties. Dunno if it is different from Canada to the US, but you could add terms that the buyer is responsible for those.
I was just looking this up the other day and I think it varies by origin country and what trade treaties we have with them in the US, but typically we're pretty lucky in the US in terms of import taxes and the threshold is usually between $600-$1200 before they kick in.

Back