Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

Whoever voted "Needs Minor Changes" needs to not be able to vote.

Being blocked from sale has nothing to do with the previous edit...all it did was ding the previous editor for no reason.

Voting has nothing to do with being blocked from sale.

Whoever voted "Needs Minor Changes" needs to not be able to vote.

Being blocked from sale has nothing to do with the previous edit...all it did was ding the previous editor for no reason.

Voting has nothing to do with being blocked from sale.
That was me. Sorry if I misunderstood the purpose of that. Please school me on the correct ways.

That was me. Sorry if I misunderstood the purpose of that. Please school me on the correct ways.

If my comment came across as "asshole-ish", that wasn't my intention, but reading it after sleeping it reads that way to me.

As no one tagged the release as Unofficial, and even this doesn't always flag a release being blocked from sale as there are still many true Unofficial releases available to buy/sell, something else got this flagged and only a support ticket and staff involvement can fix it if it can be changed.

Sometimes it's some odd rights issue or something that keeps legit releases from being sold.

Does anyone know why I have these and how I can get it down to zero? Is it because the releases I've added to or updated are at Data Quality Rating: Needs Vote? Am I just at the mercy of people voting for these releases now or can I vote somehow?

1651705085369.png

I have what is quite possibly a dumb question, and perhaps one without a straight answer given my own sudden curiosity.

Are people supposed to use the star rating on discogs to rate the quality of the pressing? Or is it generally used more so to evaluate how much they personally liked the album?

I've always done the former as I don't really care about the latter, but I was looking at a couple albums on there that I think are fantastic pressings and they have rather low ratings. Given that they weren't very popular albums I started to wonder if that was playing a greater role than I had previously assumed in how others are using the star system.

I have what is quite possibly a dumb question, and perhaps one without a straight answer given my own sudden curiosity.

Are people supposed to use the star rating on discogs to rate the quality of the pressing? Or is it generally used more so to evaluate how much they personally liked the album?

I've always done the former as I don't really care about the latter, but I was looking at a couple albums on there that I think are fantastic pressings and they have rather low ratings. Given that they weren't very popular albums I started to wonder if that was playing a greater role than I had previously assumed in how others are using the star system.
My amateur understanding is that it's to review pressing quality but like with much else on the site it's fussy and poorly explained so people will use it for whatever devices they see fit.

Yeah only real way to gauge pressing quality is the comments and even then, lots of people don't leave any, or runs have some good and some bad copies and no way to distinguish

Yeah I went with my personal rating as an overalll for the whole package ....in hindsight I wish I’d just left blank ..but not going to go back and change 6000 entries so I carry on rating

I mean there is an aggregate score.

Right. But I don't see the need to know how many times something was rated. I don't see how that number really has any meaning other than popularity.

If Discogs turned the rating/comment section to more of what letterbox uses, then that would be a much better system than it is now.

And I suppose you can see the first 50 ratings users give in alphabetical order....but without any other context, they are essentially meaningless, IMO.

Last edited:
What would you do in this situation. Has an order come through Discogs and went to print a shipping label and it said the address couldn't be verified. It looks like in address line 2 they have the City and Zip Code and then in the City/state/zip line they have the City with a different zip code. I messaged the buyer but it's been a few days and they haven't responded. They have positive feedback so they must be getting records somehow. I googled the address and one of the zip codes does come up attached to that address. Do I go with the zip code that came up on Google, send it with the address as is, or do nothing until I hear from the buyer?

What would you do in this situation. Has an order come through Discogs and went to print a shipping label and it said the address couldn't be verified. It looks like in address line 2 they have the City and Zip Code and then in the City/state/zip line they have the City with a different zip code. I messaged the buyer but it's been a few days and they haven't responded. They have positive feedback so they must be getting records somehow. I googled the address and one of the zip codes does come up attached to that address. Do I go with the zip code that came up on Google, send it with the address as is, or do nothing until I hear from the buyer?
What address is associated with the PayPal invoice?

Back