Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

This is more an offline filing question than a Discogs question, but I figured I'd drop it here anyway and see what y'all say.

How would, or do, you file this one at home?

...under The Outlaws?

...under one of the individual artists? If so, whom? First listed? Favourite?

...under Various?

This is more an offline filing question than a Discogs question, but I figured I'd drop it here anyway and see what y'all say.

...under The Outlaws?

...under Various?

For me with multiple solo artists collaborating I file it under the first named artist’s surname, but after their solo discography.

...under The Outlaws?

...under Various?
I personally file it under the artist I have the most solo albums of. So, Willie in this instance.

...under The Outlaws?

...under Various?
I have mine next my Waylon & Willie (which sits with my Waylon Jennings records mainly because I have fewer Waylon albums than Willie Nelson. If I had no Waylon records I would just file it with my Willie records.

the filing system simplified itself when i approached it as "how will this be easiest to find again when i want it"

David Bowie is in B, Bob Dylan is in D, Tori Amos is in T. side projects get lumped in with the "main" group usually. we're all about pragmatics here at chez yukbon.

Man that’d have me pulling my hair out.
My brain works in alphabetical order…

...under The Outlaws?

...under Various?
I try to figure out where I’m most likely to look for it a few months after I file it and that’s where I put it. 😜 I'd file this one under 'O' since I'd only know it as an Outlaws album.

Any Canadians here willing to share there international shipping methods/fees?

I currently have US and Canada policies set up but would like to expand my horizons without having to find addresses in various international destinations and do all the calculations if possible. Can anyone help a sibling out? 😀

Got fucked over by a Discogs seller for the first time, and I was really looking forward to the Sun Ra 10" and that copy of Coltrane's Om. :(

I was disappointed that I waited too long to leave negative feedback on their seller profile, but it looks like they've completely cleared it out anyway. PayPal dispute is now open and hopefully I'll get my €55.00 back by the end of the month.

Question: My copy of this LP has blank white labels on both sides. Is it the test pressing? It came in a picture sleeve.

View attachment 164238

It's a test pressing if it is called that on the release...or you have very good official info that they call it a test pressing.

Otherwise it's a "White Label" if if has no printing. Even if it has something stamped or hand-written it would be a "White Label"

6.12.3. Test Pressing - Typically a limited run of a record made to test the sound quality. Only list an item as Test Pressing if the release is clearly marked as such. Do not enter the pressing plant as the label, even if their logo appears prominently; use the label associated with the retail release. Questions about label identity should be discussed in the forums.

6.12.4. White Label - Only use this tag to indicate when the center labels on a vinyl release are without mechanically applied print on either side. Additional marks with a rubber stamp, small printed sticker, or handwritten on an otherwise blank (but not necessarily white) label would still generally be considered a White Label release. White label releases of the same record may be entered as separate releases if one version has been stamped while another has been labeled with a sticker.

I have a Terror Vision that is like this, but they call them Test Pressings, so that's what I added to my submission.

But on this one for some reason I decided to not add "test pressing" - I have no idea why I chose the other way and just noticed this now.

It really comes down to the pressing plant actually printing "Test Pressing" on the labels they use. The bigger plants do this...or used to when they were around. New plants don't really. They are usually blank labels. Sometimes they may add "side A" or something - then they are technically not "White Labels" anymore, either.

Last edited:
When looking for what I had, I saw 2 submissions....one had "KM" runouts and one was a Wes Garland cut/United pressing. What I have is a Wes Garland cut/United pressing, but it has different small print on the labels and rear sleeve.....so I made a new submission for it.

It seems I have upset the No Doubt gods, as this stirred up some shit.

Please help with some yes votes on this merge...this will make the original sub that was made 14 years ago the 2000 release w/ correct runouts. And there will only be my "WG cut" as the other LP release.

As I mentioned in the sub edit - we usually don't revert and merge this late after a "hijack", but it seems that this may be the easier way.

EDIT:

ugh....a no vote then asking questions about something is probably the worst thing to do. Ask...wait for a reply, then vote. It's should be simple.

Last edited:
Back