Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

I just need to vent about something I submitted a while back:

It's a test pressing of the second Chvrches LP that I won from a charity eBay auction:

osQJ17H.png

Some overzealous Chvrches fan decided to add notes about the auction from which it came (which is fine) but also added unnecessary details like "limited edition" and "autographed" while changing the release date and country of release. The best part is that the superfan came to the conclusion that I drafted the entry from the wrong release.

I just can't be bothered to get into an edit war over it and I find it hilarious that 30 people claim to own the release.

Entering test pressings can be a pain.

There really isn't a "release date" nor a country of market.

I usually enter the day they shipped out...that makes a release "in the wild" and is out of the hands of the distributor. I use this for any mail order release that doesn't have a public release date.

I usually go with the country the label is from...or just leave it blank.

As for what draft you used ..it really doesn't matter as long as the data in the sub is accurate. You could use any release and change everything and it would be fine....as long as it is accurate to the data on the release....

Which is why test pressings are a pain, as there usually isn't much data on the actual release.

Still working my way correcting a lot of my CD entries. Looking at some of these CD's for the first time in at least 20 years.

I did find a loose Metallica bootleg inside a Wedding Singer Soundtrack case.

I have no idea where this bootleg came from. I can't say I've ever seen it before.

Trying to explain that a Precision repress isn't the same a a new GZ pressing to this guy.

I think I'll have a better chance talking to a brick wall.

If you can vote - some NO votes would be great. I don't have either release....just know that they shouldn't merge.

And I made a post in the merge thread - where they kept with the same incorrect reasoning.

I don't see where to vote on this page? I'm logged in but in the web site, not the app

They don't make it obvious what the algorithm is to get voting rights.

Getting The Ability To Vote

20.1.1. New users cannot vote. The ability to vote is automatically assigned based on your interaction with the site. Generally, you need to log in reasonably regularly, view releases, read the guidelines, comment correctly on others submissions and make good submissions and updates. Basically, you need to be a helpful and positive contributor to the site.

Ah that's poetically it. I have an account and have for years but I almost never comment or go into the forum threads

edit: probably, not poetically. ducking autocorrect.

Last edited:
Ah that's poetically it. I have an account and have for years but I almost never comment or go into the forum threads
I have added and edited a few releases and can't vote. Have no interest in commenting other than occasional questions that usually go unanswered. Wonder how they know if you read every word of the guidelines.

Quick question: is it rude for me to ask for a reason a buyer wants to return a record (at my expense)? This morning a buyer demanded to return a record and that I issue a return label ASAP. I said I would but first I would like to know the reason. The buyer then got irate and filed a PayPal claim against me. I'm trying to be open-minded rather than angry. Was I wrong to ask for a reason to pay for return shipping?

Quick question: is it rude for me to ask for a reason a buyer wants to return a record (at my expense)? This morning a buyer demanded to return a record and that I issue a return label ASAP. I said I would but first I would like to know the reason. The buyer then got irate and filed a PayPal claim against me. I'm trying to be open-minded rather than angry. Was I wrong to ask for a reason to pay for return shipping?
It is 100% reasonable to want an explanation.

If it was a problem with the condition or the description of the record that's one thing. If the buyer just changed his mind then IMO return shipping should be on them.

Sounds like they were rude about it; you're not Amazon, after all.
That's exactly what I said in one of my replies: "I'm not amazon.com. I'm a person like you who collects records and sells a few. I will issue you a return label (at my cost) but it would be helpful to know why. For example, if the record got damaged in transit, I may be able to file an insurance claim."

That's exactly what I said in one of my replies: "I'm not amazon.com. I'm a person like you who collects records and sells a few. I will issue you a return label (at my cost) but it would be helpful to know why. For example, if the record got damaged in transit, I may be able to file an insurance claim."
Sounds like you're being very reasonable. I know we like to complain about crummy sellers out there, but it seems like there's been an increase in the number of really rude and entiteld buyers over the last couple of years, too. This person's clearly one of them.

i'd be concerned this person is trying to scam you with some sort of swap scam. i think it's reasonable, if not an expectation, that they provide details as to their reasons.
Thanks, all, for your helpful replies.

I do wonder about this being a scam, especially because the person's name on discogs is a completely different name (and gender) from the person who went nuclear and immediately filed a PayPal claim.

Thanks, all, for your helpful replies.

I do wonder about this being a scam, especially because the person's name on discogs is a completely different name (and gender) from the person who went nuclear and immediately filed a PayPal claim.
Is the record in question an expensive one?

Back