Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

This is more an offline filing question than a Discogs question, but I figured I'd drop it here anyway and see what y'all say.

How would, or do, you file this one at home?

...under The Outlaws?

...under one of the individual artists? If so, whom? First listed? Favourite?

...under Various?
Since it has previously released material, I consider it a comp and its in the various section.

agreed. Fripp/Eno records after Fripp, Robert.

I must be psychotic...but my Fripp solo/collaborative stuff is in after King Crimson.

I "usually" use Discogs order - alphabetical by first name - unless it's something like the above, where I know them more for the band they were previously in.

Peter Gabriel is actually in the G's - but for Genesis...as is all Genesis members solo stuff.

If I have something from an artist, but not a band they were previously in, then they go in by their first name.

Tori Amos is in the T's - not the Y's, since I don't have the Y Kant Tori Read album.

Thinking about this, it's a bad example...I would probably put Y Kant Tori Read in the T's with Tori Amos.

My scores/soundtracks are alphabetical by movie title / TV show title. It's just easier not to remember the names of every composer that I own.

Last edited:
My CDs were the first things I entered into Discogs when I started - I really didn't look very closely at what I was entering - mostly just whatever was the US release.

So I'm finally going back and getting into the weeds of the various CD runouts and glass mastering of them all.

At least I don't own all that many CDs. My Discogs CD folder has only around 400 listed. I'm sure that may change either way once I'm finished, but it's probably a good ballpark number.

You never know what your gonna find inside your old CDs you haven't opened in 20+ years.

This was also inside a Busta Rhymes cd of all things.

I believe it's my wife's. I wouldn't have listened to any of this in 1999/2000.

View attachment 164960

1999. The older I get the more nostalgic I get for the utter trash music of the day. What a simpler time.

so it's increased in value?

It's doubled in value....but twice of nothing is still nothing.

On the other hand...My Guided By Voices Under The Bushes Under The Stars is also missing. I do care a bit more about that.

I have a CD case I used to have in an old car somewhere that still has some discs in it, so I'll look for that.

Maybe I'll find the Godsmack there, too.

Discogs is committed to supporting independent record stores and showcasing their importance within the global record collecting community.

Unfortunately, VinylHub will be retired in February 2023, which means it will no longer be accessible via desktop browser or mobile app. However, Discogs’ Independent Record Store Directory will serve as your new source for information about record stores around the world.

You can use the directory to browse thousands of stores across the world and refine their searches by location or specialization.

If you are a store owner, you can register your shop for inclusion in the directory. Fill out the simple form to tell collectors more about your store in your own words, list the genres and formats you carry, and share photos.

Learn more about the change

Happy Collecting,
Discogs

It's actually pretty funny that I first saw a link to "VinylHub" in the Discogs support area yesterday...and I was like "What the hell is VinylHub?"

And then the next day that message was sent out.

I think a lot of users had no idea that it existed.

Looking through the forums, there seemed to be a lot of scams associated with it, but I didn't read about them to know what they were about.

Back