Discogs - Help, Tricks, Secrets And Tips

I use standard budget mailers and pad the records inside well, and add angled corner reinforcements. If it's over $50 or I can't replace what I am sending, I add insurance. I use Pirate Ship also.

angled corner reinforcements? I've been looking for something that fits that description

I seem to attract the best and brightest of Discogs.

This guy edited a sub to add the cat # of the bonus CD...so he could sell it with less issue. And then threatened me with PayPal fees he'll get when users cancel orders or gets refunds.

Mind you that the cat # of this free promo cd was already in the BaOI of the submission, where a cat #of a bonus disc goes.

The guy is mad about issues he's getting trying to sell a partial submission and then gets mad at me for reverting his edit.

While it seems like English isn't his first language, it's still hard to understand his rambling.

What record mailers does everyone trust? I've been using Bags Unlimited Might Mailers and I never have to worry about a thing. I know it's getting there in one piece. However, they're getting ridiculously expensive so I'm looking for any cheaper alternatives.

I've been using Bags Unlimited as well since they really are the least expensive out of the quality record mailers. I tried ordering Whiplash mailers a couple months ago but they were out of stock, but even if available shipping would have made them more expensive.

What record mailers does everyone trust? I've been using Bags Unlimited Might Mailers and I never have to worry about a thing. I know it's getting there in one piece. However, they're getting ridiculously expensive so I'm looking for any cheaper alternatives.

I've been using Bags Unlimited as well since they really are the least expensive out of the quality record mailers. I tried ordering Whiplash mailers a couple months ago but they were out of stock, but even if available shipping would have made them more expensive.

We use both.

I like the bags unlimited better myself however I think Whiplash are heftier. Does that equal safer? Maybe. Warm fuzzy feeling when i get one? definitely. Both of them you need bubble wrap on MOV and other loose sleeve releases for compression. Price; Bags Unlimited definitely.

We did use these for a while because they had free shipping and they are amazingly light and strong but they are $3.55/ea(only sold in 100 qty). Whiplash are $2.66/ea (300 qty) and Bags Unlimited are $1.50 (500Qty)(or $2.17 if you're buying 50). Then cardboard pads are about .50/ea. BU are a damn value! :)

Never had an interantional record go missing. Figures it would happen on a $200 sale, though. I used International First-Class and I guess this was a mistake?

I assume I have to do a full refund, how do I avoid the cogs fees? Is full refund correct? Any pointers before I pull the trigger and eat $200 in losses not even accounting for the original purchase of the record?

Never had an interantional record go missing. Figures it would happen on a $200 sale, though. I used International First-Class and I guess this was a mistake?

I assume I have to do a full refund, how do I avoid the cogs fees? Is full refund correct? Any pointers before I pull the trigger and eat $200 in losses not even accounting for the original purchase of the record?

I know international mail has limited insurance (ie I think once it leaves the US) but that tracking you shared shows NY. Is there any insurance you have on it?

Also, when you refund via PayPal as a full refund, only the money you received (ie less Discogs/PP fees) will be taken from you. On buyers end it will all look the same but you won't have to try to get anything back from Cogs.

EDIT: bad reading comp (I'm a baby, give me a break!) - I only focused on Jamaica, NY. I see now that is the international distribution center and it's on way to it's destination.

What country is it going to though? It says it was processed 11Jan. I mean, I think some international folks could give a better timeline for items from the US. Isn't 8 weeks still not unheard of? Is the person riding your nuts about it?

Last edited:

Sorry to hear it. Are you sure it's lost for good? I have had albums arrive after being stuck in customs leaving the USA in Miami or in the country of destination.

And I really don't think USPS should call this First-Class. This rate is the cheapest one and USPS offers no help whatsoever with packages shipped this rate, especially if tracking shows it left the USA.

I don't think there will be an issue with cogs fees on the refund. You should do the refund through cogs and they will reimburse the fees and taxes.

Last, when I get an international order like this one, I message the buyer and offer to upgrade the shipping, explaining that if the package gets lost, I have no recourse. Then if the buyer goes this route, they are usually more willing to accept the loss (or at least share in taking a hit), though I am aware that buyer could file a PayPal claim anyway.

Oh wait, update: I didn't notice you had the tracking # link. In this case, I think you should call USPS and talk to an international customer service rep. The reason I suggest this is that it's strange that your package went to Miami and then NY, so it got double-processed for export in clearing customs. I haven't seen this before on any of my international packages.

This was going to Australia. Should I give it more time? The USPS site suggests no inquiries can be made for international first class, should I call anyway?

Relevant terms (no idea if enforceable):

All items are shipped uninsured unless otherwise requested. Any additional shipping charges for insurance or other extras will be calculated per USPS and provided on the invoice. Items will otherwise be conservatively graded and any damages from transit will be incidental and not grounds for returns.

Unless otherwise requested, international orders will go out First Class which only has tracking until it leaves the USA and has no insurance. I am not responsible for any Post Office delays with international orders. Furthermore, it is the international buyer's responsibility to determine if they will owe any additional VAT/Customs Fees on receipt; I have no means of determining this for you.

This was going to Australia. Should I give it more time? The USPS site suggests no inquiries can be made for international first class, should I call anyway?
I once had a record take about 2 months to get to the Netherlands. The guy was patient but kept messaging me weekly. I told him I was working with USPS, even though there was really nothing we could do until it was scanned again. It finally showed up, guessing it got backed up in customs.

I would give it more time. And I would call anyway. If you navigate the phone tree to international packages/agent, they should have a "we'll call you back" option so you don't have to wait on hold. And once you get an actual person, I would acknowledge that you sent this USPS first class package, which means no insurance or ability for USPS to find it. But, ask them why it went to Miami, cleared customs there, and then NYC area, and cleared customs a second time.

As for your terms, I have heard of people having similar terms and the buyer still filing a PayPal claim and winning it. But I would suggest working with the buyer, at the very least to ask for patience for some more time for it to arrive in Australia.

Shit man! This is wank!

Honestly I’d refund. For Australia it’d have to be 4-6 weeks after postage first. I’d look at it this way, if I’d bought a record for $200 + postage and it didn’t turn up what would I expect from the seller.

This is kinda why I won’t ship anything below recorded anymore.

I bought a couple of records that were priced low earlier today (both were in my wantlist) and I have since noticed that the seller was new and has a lot of others listed (not on my wantlist) all at a similar low price.

I now imagine this is BS, but I should give them the benefit of the doubt, right? How easy would it be to claim this back if it turns out to be a scam? I paid through discogs as per their standard route, with Paypal, so I should be covered right?

Back