Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

The new DW6 or the previous DW?
Whichever these are. I forgot he also had the Buchardts, which were not impressive compared to the Mofi and Zu. I posted about this before, as have others, but the Zu’s were incredibly confounding. Depending on the song, went from incredible, lively, in-the-room sound to hollow/weird/etc.

EDIT: we all felt his space is not ideal for the Zu’s
1727408750847.png

Whichever these are. I forgot he also had the Buchardts, which were not impressive compared to the Mofi and Zu. I posted about this before, as have others, but the Zu’s were incredibly confounding. Depending on the song, went from incredible, lively, in-the-room sound to hollow/weird/etc.

View attachment 214575

That looks like the DW6.
Just looked on their IG and that model has been out for 2 years already, geez.

I've had the Source Point 8's for about 2 weeks now, been busy, but managed to get about 50 hours on them so far (I keep hearing 100 hours is the nirvana point). Compared to the Wharfedale Linton's out of the box, they presented themselves like Linton's on steroids. With each passing hour that statement became more accurate and more expansive than just an injection of Linton goodness. The SP8''s had their own voice, and it's stunning.

I researched the snot out of these, and couldn't really find any "bad" reviews, minus the minor "personal preference" opinions here and there. My biggest concern was comments about brightness. A few long discussions with folks at both Upscale and Music Direct, and nudged along by some phenomenal financing options we pulled the trigger...............but tucked the Linton's away for now.

Let me get this out off the way, the matching stands are not attractive in my opinion, didn't like them at all. We replaced them with a set of Solid Steel SS-5's which match the height of the stock stands.

View attachment 214568

The speakers are really well built, much like the Linton's, just a beautiful "vintage" look with a little modern edge to them. You either like them or you don't. Of course the most important thing is the sound, these speakers disappear. I found my sweet spot to be 20" from the wall firing straight on, no toe in. The concentric design and attractive front baffle (to me anyway) eliminate the usual sweet spot, the sound field carries so well that regardless of your position, you're getting the full effect of these speakers.

Detail a plenty, clean, crisp with no harshness what so ever. Beautiful mids and plenty low end for my taste. Bass is accurate, tight, impactful and punchy, soundstage and imaging are wide and deep, its a bit uncanny. Instruments are precisely placed in their own space in the recording and vocals are remarkably accurate and engaging. The SP8's sound like much bigger speakers than they are, I find them very neutral and accurate in their presentation. The SP8''s are also pretty revealing, while "good" pressings sound fantastic, you'll notice poor or compressed pressings will stand out, but any decent speaker should do that. Overall thee SP8's did an amazing job with whatever I threw at them, classic rock to jazz, even "shrilly" 80's pressings were tamed down to sound great.

If you were debating jumping on the Wharfedale train, you may want to add these to your list to consider, at their current sale price of $2000 without stands and $2200 with, I have 0 reservations saying that the SP8's are much more than $400 better than the Linton's. The Linton's are special, hands down one of the best bargains out there, but if you're looking for a bit more, quite a bit more, out of your speakers without breaking the bank per say, the SP8's belong on your list.

All that said, my Linton's went from stand by mode to a new home, it was bitter sweet, but the SP8's have become my end game speakers and I couldn't be happier with my decision, they seem to sound better and better each day.
Who did you buy from? If I can get Solid Steel stands for $200 I may jump on that deal.

View attachment 214575
What amps were used for this comparison? I have the Bucharest s400 MKII and think they are fantastic. That's a great thing about this hobby different seasoning for all tastes.

Sim Audio - Moon Ace
Never heard the Zu speakers, but on the Buchardt's 50 wpc (8 Ohm) might not get the best results. The s400 mkII didn't sound their best when played via aYamaha as-301 (not saying this amp is on par with the Moon, but similar output).

more-power.gif

Never heard the Zu speakers, but on the Buchardt's 50 wpc (8 Ohm) might not get the best results. The s400 mkII didn't sound their best when played via aYamaha as-301 (not saying this amp is on par with the Moon, but similar output).

View attachment 214638

The zu speakers are monumentally efficient, I think they’re all around, or about 100dB, they’re often powered with little 1 watt tube amps to great effect

Back