Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I’m not surprised the chord has that profile, it’s very much the historic “British” sound profile.
Yeah the funny thing is my system sounded better than all of them. But there a lot of caveats there. I'm mainly vinyl, no sub in this system, no room correction in this system and I was running off Bluetooth for most of it. But Bluetooth or not my separation and staging was better than any of these... Definitely makes me rethink whether I want to go with a non room corrected separate.

Yeah the funny thing is my system sounded better than all of them. But there a lot of caveats there. I'm mainly vinyl, no sub in this system, no room correction in this system and I was running off Bluetooth for most of it. But Bluetooth or not my separation and staging was better than any of these... Definitely makes me rethink whether I want to go with a non room corrected separate.

Have you any ideas of what higher end with room correction might end up on a shortlist to try/demo.

Have you any ideas of what higher end with room correction might end up on a shortlist to try/demo.
They only ones I'm aware of are the Lyngdorf and the Integrated Mac AVR. I don't really know of any others that have it. To be honest it makes me more inclined to be happy with what I've got for now. Like don't get me wrong, they sounded fantastic. But they were comparable to the sound from my current system, and in some ways worse. So in all likelihood with my crappy room they would be a step down, or on par with what I have now.

They only ones I'm aware of are the Lyngdorf and the Integrated Mac AVR. I don't really know of any others that have it. To be honest it makes me more inclined to be happy with what I've got for now. Like don't get me wrong, they sounded fantastic. But they were comparable to the sound from my current system, and in some ways worse. So in all likelihood with my crappy room they would be a step down, or on par with what I have now.

I think NAD do too but I don’t know if they do anything high enough up the ladder given what you are looking at.

A bit of contentment with your system is always nice too, I’m kinda there now, there are upgrades I could make but the options aren’t just right for me at the moment.

Linn Selekt?

Amps with room correction?
Yup. Linn uses its own software, called Space. It’s a different system to the others, as you have to enter the details of your room into a piece of software, rather than doing anything with microphones.

I get mine at the end of the month, so I’ll let you know how it goes!

You can also get HDMI hubs (although only at HDMI 2.0) and multichannel facilities, but those are additional add-ons. Does 2.1 and ARC out the box.

Yup. Linn uses its own software, called Space. It’s a different system to the others, as you have to enter the details of your room into a piece of software, rather than doing anything with microphones.

I get mine at the end of the month, so I’ll let you know how it goes!

You can also get HDMI hubs (although only at HDMI 2.0) and multichannel facilities, but those are additional add-ons. Does 2.1 and ARC out the box.
Ah very cool, didn't realize they had that... Let me know how it goes!

Welp, going in tomorrow to test the Moon 641, 340i and the Chord Ultima. Told the guy to nix the Mac because it weighs a tonne and to be honest I'm not likely going to go that way anyhow, more form over function with those I think, at least with the solid state.. Think the tube stuff they do is generally better thought of but yeah, not going that route because the way of tubes lies MADNESS...
I could easily be a Mac guy; the MAC7200 was on my list for a long time.

Just from an esthetic standpoint, taking nothing away from the sound quality, am I alone in not liking the look of MAC gear? I'll say the 75th Anniv. Hybrid SS/Tube amp has a certain vibe, but none of it really grabs me. I know, I know, 🤯😧🤯😧
Always seemed like a status thing to me and definitely not my design aesthetic.

iPhone user here. Mostly because I seem to kill androids and as long as you manage not to buy a lemon model of an iPhone, Apple has to kill the fucking things.

The engineer in me loves how the upper end Macs are built. Autoformers are retro, but make basic engineering sense. But with newer Class D modules as competition, autoformers are useful expensive relics.

For me, buying a Mac would basically be a statement of, “f*ck what you think - I like it because it’s powerful, performant and has pretty lights.”

Back