Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Another 90 lb back-buster! Now I’m really intrigued by how this race will end.
Well the nice thing with the NuVista is the older model 800s are heavily on sale and available used and they're not too different from the 800.2. But that Nu Vista system sounded unreal, obviously BIG difference between a single integrated and that massive stack of separates but the power and warmth of the those little tubes (that last 100,000 hours) was pretty palpable. I think the 500 WPC and the tube warmth would work well with my system...

Ok perfect, I didn't think so but was curious... Got my local to let me test a few things on L100s at the shop. Gunna check out the SimAudio Moon 641 and 340i, Chord Ultima and McIntosh 8950. Not really because these are necessarily what I'm looking at, but because at least I'll get an idea between differences and what sort of price point I can look at. Realistically most of these units are too expensive unless I got a pretty crazy deal....
To my surprise, our very own @Ed Selley did a review of the Mac MA8950.

Also I think this has short listed the Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista Series 800.2 Integrated Amplifier as one I have to seriously look at...
That's beyond my price range, but I had looked into it long and hard before grabbing the M5. The M5si is brilliant in my opinion and everything I'd come across about MF was positive, I've really liked the few pieces of their gear I've owned.

That's beyond my price range, but I had looked into it long and hard before grabbing the M5. The M5si is brilliant in my opinion and everything I'd come across about MF was positive, I've really liked the few pieces of their gear I've owned.
Yes I mean full price is far beyond my range as well. But the OG 800 can be gotten for about half price these days, and even the 800.2 is on sale locally for me. But it's still probably too much for that one barring a trade in.

Last edited:
Yes I mean full price is far beyond my range as well. But the OG 800 can be gotten for about half price these days, and even the 800.2 is on sale locally for me. But it's still probably too much for that one barring a trade in.

It’s also enormous and heavy as hell. I was shocked when I saw the size of the new Nu Vista series. I always wanted to hear the old phono but the new one is just too big and too rich for me.

Well the nice thing with the NuVista is the older model 800s are heavily on sale and available used and they're not too different from the 800.2. But that Nu Vista system sounded unreal, obviously BIG difference between a single integrated and that massive stack of separates but the power and warmth of the those little tubes (that last 100,000 hours) was pretty palpable. I think the 500 WPC and the tube warmth would work well with my system...
Do you like it enough to get over your fear of tubes?

Do you like it enough to get over your fear of tubes?
Well the caveat here is that these are very different types of tubes. They last 100,000 hours and Musical Fidelity at least up until a couple of years ago said that they have never had to replace a single tube in any unit. So while they're technically tubes, they're not really "TUBES".

Well the caveat here is that these are very different types of tubes. They last 100,000 hours and Musical Fidelity at least up until a couple of years ago said that they have never had to replace a single tube in any unit. So while they're technically tubes, they're not really "TUBES".
Nice.

More importantly, is your brain going to be able to switch off from the “I wonder if rolling these tubes would change the sound?” thoughts?

THAT'S RIGHT, MATHER ISN'T GOING MORE INSANE TODAY BITCHES, NOT TODAY

maybe tomorrow, we'll see

Boo! I want to see what happens next…

Seriously though, I really like musical fidelity gear, even with my experience at a much much lower price point it’s very clear that they don’t mess about. Apart from streamers, they’re useless at streamers…

Boo! I want to see what happens next…

Seriously though, I really like musical fidelity gear, even with my experience at a much much lower price point it’s very clear that they don’t mess about. Apart from streamers, they’re useless at streamers…
Yeah I really like the look of the newer model, not so big on the green LEDs on the earlier 800. But I'll deal with it either way. Gunna keep my eyes open for deals...

Hi everyone, looking for upgrade recommendations to my system - below is my current set up. What would you recommend I should upgrade first and what do you think are good options?

I live in the Melbourne Beach area in Florida - so any recommendations for stores in the Central Florida area are also welcome.

• Integrated Amp - Rotel Tribute A11
  • CD Player - Rotel Tribute C11
  • Turntable - Orbit U-Turn - custom with acrylic platter, cue lever, walnut. Bought in 2017
  • Cartridge - Ortofon 2M Blue
  • Speakers - Q Acoustics 3050 Floor-standing Speaker
  • Other items:
    • Doug Audio VU3 Dual Analog Speaker Switch
      • Switch to use speakers either with Rotel to listen to music or
      • Old Yamaha receiver for TV (not thinking of upgrading Yamaha)
    • Cables - GearIT 14 AWG speakers wires
Looking for sound improvement and possible a better way to stream music. Would prefer for a turntable that I don't have to change manually the belt when moving from 33 to 45. Currently have plan with Apple Music (thru cell plan) can stream to Rotel but via bluetooth which lowers the fidelity. Otherwise I use an Apple TV with the Yamaha receiver but sound is worse than Rotel.

Another question, does it make sense to trade-in any of the equipment thru the Hi-Fi stores or is it better to sell thru Ebay or another website?

Budget hoping for less than 5k (closer to 3k if possible).

Thanks in advance.
Looks like you did an upgrade to a Technics. Which model did you get?

Back