Fresh Grabs

Yesterday had some fun deliveries. Most excited to finally get Castle Rat and a signed copy to boot. Another Pumpkins boot from Paladin, as well as the KRS One 30th anniversary reissue that I regretted not getting when it was first announced. And the two Girl Talk TTL exclusives. Kind of hate that they put the numbering on a sticker on the cellophane wrap tho.

View attachment 207496
View attachment 207498
View attachment 207497
View attachment 207499
View attachment 207500
Btw, @MyWifeHatesTrain you should check out the Castle Rat album. It's one of the new metal albums that has been getting reviewed really well and one of my favorites of the year too.

FedEx Japan is some weird magical shit. I've had my record city orders show up overnight before. It's insane.
It is crazy. I did my order on the Sunday morning. The package was picked up by FedEx on Monday, landed in Tennesse on Tuesday afternoon, hopped another flight to Toronto Wednesday and I had it on my porch Thursday morning.

The Echo sounds really nice, definitely worth picking up when you get a chance.

It is crazy. I did my order on the Sunday morning. The package was picked up by FedEx on Monday, landed in Tennesse on Tuesday afternoon, hopped another flight to Toronto Wednesday and I had it on my porch Thursday morning.

I've been building a cart for a month or so, lots have come and gone but I'm waiting for the right record to land that will push me over the edge.

FedEx has a daily plane to Portland, ME because of LL Bean, so as long as something non-Ground gets to Memphis before the plane leaves it's usually a quick turnaround. Still wild to me that this thing travelled from Tokyo to Maine in like 20 hours

Oh man! Some very pleasing grabs to-day
1720070401283.png
Excellent condition, OG stereo pressing of one of my favorite soul LPs! Price goes up and down on this one but $20 is an absolute steal. Might still need to source a mono at some point though—this is some very stereo, and the mix quality really varies track to track.

An even crazier score in the same haul:
1720070834741.png
Yep, that's an original first pressing of the iconic Lightnin' Hopkins LP on Folkways for $6. Visual condition on the disc is VG- but these older Plastylite pressings can really take a beating. It's even got the booklet!! I'd have paid twice that for the cover alone—one of the best examples of the genius of "folk modernist" Folkways sleeve designer Ronald Clyne, whom I'm a bit obsessed with. Also a bit obsessed with Samuel B. Charters, enough to pick up two other Folkways records he oversaw:
1720071644313.png1720071667271.png
And a few more exciting items for good measure:
1720071745895.jpeg1720071772307.png
Both the Anthology of Reggae Collectors series and the Arabesques series are full of amazing material, though from a design angle i strongly prefer the latter LOL...
1720071917681.png
I'd rather have good design in fair condition than bad design in mint condition, know what I mean?

Last edited:
I've been building a cart for a month or so, lots have come and gone but I'm waiting for the right record to land that will push me over the edge.
I had a cart for a while - go back today to check on it and it looks like they are no longer offering shipping to the US on Discogs? Have to go through their USA shop now. Did I miss something? When did that happen? haha

Last edited:
My local has bought 2 really incredible collections over the last few months. One was some harder to find rock, country, and jazz, most in solid shape but all clearly had been loved by the previous owner. Coltrane, Mingus, Love, Robert Johnson, Willie and Bobbie all came from that collection.

The other was a massive collection from an entrepreneur who often purchased stacks of records while traveling to see clients abroad. What's even better is that he generally opened each record, played it once or twice, and shelved them. Most of what you see in the photo came from this collection, just don't see records in this shape all that often.

There have been a few fun finds from that collection:
- The Velvet Underground is actually a late 70s mispressing that used the mono tapes.
- Edikanfo was produced by Brian Eno and is a super fun, dancable listen
- Ellington is a tribute album to a songwriter he worked with often, Billy Strayhorn. The final track on there is Duke playing solo after all the musicians were packing up, truly an emotional piece that we're lucky to have recorded

I've been taking almost daily trips to my local since they bought these collections at the end of May, and there's been a lot that I've passed on or just straight up couldn't afford (the 2nd collection had a ton of early 90s rock), but I decided to take stock of everything today and I'm pretty stoked with what I've snagged. And as a byproduct, I've gotten friendlier with the staff and they often suggest something interesting that I might've overlooked otherwise (The Black Gladiator was one of them).

IMG_7391 Large.jpeg

I love Discogs as much as anyone, but just a friendly reminder: support your local record stores!

My local has bought 2 really incredible collections over the last few months. One was some harder to find rock, country, and jazz, most in solid shape but all clearly had been loved by the previous owner. Coltrane, Mingus, Love, Robert Johnson, Willie and Bobbie all came from that collection.

The other was a massive collection from an entrepreneur who often purchased stacks of records while traveling to see clients abroad. What's even better is that he generally opened each record, played it once or twice, and shelved them. Most of what you see in the photo came from this collection, just don't see records in this shape all that often.

There have been a few fun finds from that collection:
- The Velvet Underground is actually a late 70s mispressing that used the mono tapes.
- Edikanfo was produced by Brian Eno and is a super fun, dancable listen
- Ellington is a tribute album to a songwriter he worked with often, Billy Strayhorn. The final track on there is Duke playing solo after all the musicians were packing up, truly an emotional piece that we're lucky to have recorded

I've been taking almost daily trips to my local since they bought these collections at the end of May, and there's been a lot that I've passed on or just straight up couldn't afford (the 2nd collection had a ton of early 90s rock), but I decided to take stock of everything today and I'm pretty stoked with what I've snagged. And as a byproduct, I've gotten friendlier with the staff and they often suggest something interesting that I might've overlooked otherwise (The Black Gladiator was one of them).

View attachment 207707

I love Discogs as much as anyone, but just a friendly reminder: support your local record stores!
sick haul! that zani diabate & super djata band is a slept-on scorcher and “juju music” is one of my favorite records of all time.

Back