Fresh Grabs

Found out about the second annual "Revolution record convention" in Denton TX and decided to hit it up. Didn't plan on getting anything, but that didn't even last 5 minutes past the front door.

A few finds and a collection of vintage Yes. Always liked Yes, not sure why I never really "invested" in them before.

IMG_20240713_182756_1.jpgIMG_20240714_093104.jpg

Also grabbed some old RCA shaded dogs and London FFRRs. Does anyone else appreciate these? Never seen them mentioned here.

Last edited:
Went to Copenhagen today to trade in a bunch of movies at one store (got more than expected) and to Rekords to trade in a bunch of records and CD's (also got more than expected) and picked three OG's. Also stopped by a bookstore that only sells Manga books/collectibles and picked up the Akira box-set. Now i just need to learn how to read.

View attachment 208940

I'd forgotten all about the Soul in the Hole Soundtrack, damn!

Are they hard to get or is it more cost wise?
In the US they are a bit tougher to find. I’ve seen them on eBay for reasonable prices but haven’t yet gone down that road. It gives me something to look for when I swing by a used book stores. Since I can’t read Japanese I don’t wanna spend too much on em. Both these I think I picked up for around $12 a piece.

Now i just need to learn how to read.
The digital age has made this somewhat easier. It is a category V language (among the most difficult foreign languages for English speakers), yes, but applications have spaced repetition techniques to make learning much easier.
Certainly more accessible than it was when I started learning in high school ~15 years ago. 頑張ってね!

The digital age has made this somewhat easier. It is a category V language (among the most difficult foreign languages for English speakers), yes, but applications have spaced repetition techniques to make learning much easier.
Certainly more accessible than it was when I started learning in high school ~15 years ago. 頑張ってね!
These are in english but i am (trying to) learning Japanese. So hopefully some day i can read some Manga i Japanese or just watch Japanese movies without subs.

Amalgam - Prayer For Peace (Transatlantic Records, 1969 First Test Pressing)
John Stevens & Spontaneous Music Ensemble - John Stevens Spontaneous Music Ensemble (Marmalade, 1969 First Test Pressing)

I had the opportunity to buy a collection of rare British free-jazz test pressings & first pressings from the estate of a music fan who worked in law and had several musician clients including John Stevens. I didn't get all of them (there was some mega rarities in there) but I did do well with the ones that I got. First up is a test pressing of Amalgam's "Prayer For Peace" which came with unused cover art. Second up is John Steven's "Spontaneous Music Ensemble" which is also a test pressing.

IMG_3299.JPG

The Peter Brötzmann Trio - For Adolphe Sax (BRÖ, 1967 First Pressing)
John McLaughlin - Extrapolation (Marmalade, 1969 First Pressing)
Howard Riley - Intertwine: Music For Two Pianos (Mosaic, 1977 First Pressing)
Tubby Hayes - Tubby's New Groove (Candid, 2013 First Pure Pleasure Pressing)

The Peter Brötzmann is the killer here, his first album that was recorded on his own label that he set up after getting rejected by the larger labels he approached. It's so so so heavy! The McLaughlin was another from the same collection and the Howard Riley was a cheap eBay win! Interestingly, I had never seen this Tubby Hayes album despite thinking my collection was complete. Turns out it's from a historical recording that was later found and initially released as a CD only. Finally, when my Cherry Tree set from the National arrived it was missing a keyring so they kindly sent me one.

IMG_3300.JPG

Back