Hip Hop

Doesn't make much sense to me. Right under this tweet, this person's is saying Jigga knew that majors never sell you back your masters while he was buying his masters back from them? Acting like that is why it is so bad? :unsure:

Jay Z sold Roc a Fella to Def Jam. Part of the deal was Def Jam would retain the masters from RAF, and Jay Z would get his own in return. So Jay Z didn't technically buy his back. He sold his label and everyone elses'. He then gave Dame and Biggs like 30 mill to split and part ownership of Reasonable Doubt (cuz they didnt want to sell out but too bad so sad its Jigga)...Then post Cruel Summer when Kanye started to spiral for the first time publicly, he renegotiated with Def Jam for another 4 albums. When he did that he extended his contract and added more debt. Def Jam is saying he hasnt recouped his extension deal post Cruel Summer. When he does he will have the 4 albums he made since re-signing but Def Jam still owns the first 6 regardless, and he just wants to get out of his contract (claim breach) and get a settlement allowing him to but 1-6. Jay Z then went on to start Tidal while his lil bro is still locked up in Def Jam shit

EDIT: Also IIRC, Jay Z held a high position at Def Jam during this whole sale period which added to the shady-ness

Jay Z sold Roc a Fella to Def Jam. Part of the deal was Def Jam would retain the masters from RAF, and Jay Z would get his own in return. So Jay Z didn't technically buy his back. He sold his label and everyone elses'. He then gave Dame and Biggs like 30 mill to split and part ownership of Reasonable Doubt (cuz they didnt want to sell out but too bad so sad its Jigga)...Then post Cruel Summer when Kanye started to spiral for the first time publicly, he renegotiated with Def Jam for another 4 albums. When he did that he extended his contract and added more debt. Def Jam is saying he hasnt recouped his extension deal post Cruel Summer. When he does he will have the 4 albums he made since re-signing but Def Jam still owns the first 6 regardless, and he just wants to get out of his contract (claim breach) and get a settlement allowing him to but 1-6. Jay Z then went on to start Tidal while his lil bro is still locked up in Def Jam shit
He didn't technically buy them, he just exchanged money and things of value for them? :unsure:

Plenty of people have bought masters from labels. People have also tried and failed to ever secure their own masters per contracts, of course. Saying Jay Z knew, ahead of time, they would never give them up in the same thought as saying he got his back is just a silly argument is all I was pointing out.

He didn't technically buy them, he just exchanged money and things of value for them? :unsure:

Plenty of people have bought masters from labels. People have also tried and failed to ever secure their own masters per contracts, of course. Saying Jay Z knew, ahead of time, they would never give them up in the same thought as saying he got his back is just a silly argument is all I was pointing out.

Yea Jay Z couldn't have known Kanye would have to renegotiate his contract because he'd go off on this fashion run and blow hella money. This guy is adding fuel for sure BUT if he is big bro to Kanye like he used to be, he could've helped him secure them at the time of the albums 7-10 negotiations just like he helped Rihanna get hers back.

It's more of a damn this sucks to see between old friends. Now I see why Kanye was on tour ranting "Jay, call me bro" many years back

Yea Jay Z couldn't have known Kanye would have to renegotiate his contract because he'd go off on this fashion run and blow hella money. This guy is adding fuel for sure BUT if he is big bro to Kanye like he used to be, he could've helped him secure them at the time of the albums 7-10 negotiations just like he helped Rihanna get hers back.

It's more of a damn this sucks to see between old friends. Now I see why Kanye was on tour ranting "Jay, call me bro" many years back
Yeah I guess once they become enormous public figure billionaires that kind of stuff doesn't seem as relevant/relatable or worthy of sympathy to me anymore :ROFLMAO:.

Yeah I guess once they become enormous public figure billionaires that kind of stuff doesn't seem as relevant/relatable or worthy of sympathy to me anymore :ROFLMAO:.

Lol oh yea I agree. I just meant everyone calling Kanye crazy for "starting beef with Jay Z" on the Pablo tour is funny. Kanye always said he talks we laugh, then years later it's like ohhh. This time he was right. For me at least

It was the time of the im gonna be bankrupt tweets too which just solidifies my thoughts that he wanted Jay Zs help

Just wanted to correct myself from earlier. Once he sold The ROC to Universal after being Def Jam President (which he became after selling Roc a fella to Def Jam, hence kanyes master becoming def jams) he got to buy his masters for 10 million lol

I’ve whittled my outstanding preorders down to a respectable level. Shit was getting out of hand during the beginning of COVID. Looking to chill the fuck out as we get into fall. What do you guys have on preorder? I’ve got:

Westside Gunn - Awesome God 2
John Prine - Souvenirs
Phish - Sigma Oasis
Lynch - Season of Da Siccness
Four Tet - There is Love in You
Billy Woods - Dour Candy
Nas - King’s Disease
Tom Petty - Wildflowers
Jay Electronica - A Written Testimony
Gibbs & Alchemist - Alfredo
Fahim - Soul Eater
Koreatown Oddity - Little Dominiques Nosebleed

I’ve whittled my outstanding preorders down to a respectable level. Shit was getting out of hand during the beginning of COVID. Looking to chill the fuck out as we get into fall. What do you guys have on preorder? I’ve got:

John Prine - Souvenirs
Phish - Sigma Oasis
Billy Woods - Dour Candy
Nas - King’s Disease
Tom Petty - Wildflowers
Fahim - Soul Eater

Way too much, but 6 of the ones you just listed

John Prine - Souvenirs
Phish - Sigma Oasis
Billy Woods - Dour Candy
Nas - King’s Disease
Tom Petty - Wildflowers
Fahim - Soul Eater
I'm sure I'll forget some as your list reminded me of some that I have:

WSG - Awesome God 2
Conway - NOMTW
Gibbs & ALC - Alfredo

(Non Hip Hop)
Avett Brothers - Third Gleam
Petty - Wildflowers
NOFX/Frank Turner split
NOFX - So Long And Thanks For All The Shoes (Zia Exclusive)
NOFX - The Decline at Red Rocks

I think that pretty much covers it... I'm hoping and expecting to add FKTG to that list tomorrow.

John Prine - Souvenirs
Phish - Sigma Oasis
Billy Woods - Dour Candy
Nas - King’s Disease
Tom Petty - Wildflowers
Fahim - Soul Eater

right now I got

Flee Lord - Loyalty & Trust 2
Alc x Gibbs - Alfredo
Anderson Paak - Ventura
Action Bronson - Only For Dolphins

hopefully I can add Conway tomorrow

I’ve felt this at other times during my collecting but I’m kind of going through some existential dread surrounding the accumulation of stuff. I personally need to do more listening and less accumulation for a bit.
I started to feel that a few months ago and have started selling as I plan to purchase. I sold 2 records that I had FOMO bought that I never listen to to not feel guilty about buying Conway tomorrow.

Back