Home Improvement Thread 2: Electric Redo the Loo

Interesting. If I ever put in a new kitchen one of my my plans was to buy a thin sheet of brushed stainless steel for the back splash to my hobs. Just buying it from a metal fabricator seemed cheaper than tiles here. Certainly cheaper than my first choice which is to cover the kitchen walls in brick slips made from reclaimed bricks from demolished Victorian houses.

Equally brushed stainless steel isn’t copper.
In my old condo I actually put a thin layer of stainless steel on the floor in order to allow for water spills, dropped items etc because I knew the engineered wood would have taken a beating in that spot.
Screenshot_20230226_111543_HouseSigma.jpg

Last edited:
In my old condo I actually put a thin layer of stainless steel on the floor in order to show for water spills, dropped items etc before I knew the engineered wood would have taken a beating in that spot.
View attachment 170621

That’s nice! Was it hard to keep clean though? My hope is to put slate on the floor in there too for that very reason. I don’t have expensive tastes at all, not me, nope…

As nice as wood looks it does take a hell of a battering in a kitchen, plus the various potential avenues for getting soaked.

Last edited:
Oh it was hand crafted hammered copper with a big tree thing on it. It would have been magnificent. But a little more than we wanted to spend after the other 15k we’ve spent on the kitchen.

Ah yes! Once you move away from engineers and fabricators and towards artists it becomes €€€€€€€€€€.

Which is fair play I suppose, they do have to buy it for that price and then all the time and labour and equipment and skill.

That’s nice! Was it hard to keep clean though? My hope is to put slate on the floor in there too for that very reason. I don’t have expensive tastes at, not me, nope…

As nice a wood looks it does take a hell of a battering in a kitchen, plus the various potential avenues for getting soaked.
I mean, it was kinda always meant to get damaged so I never concerned myself too much with keeping it sparkling clean beyond just a wipe down with some cleaner. If I did it again I probably would have gone SLIGHTLY thicker to cut down on dents from dropped kitchen tools. But I was also trying to avoid it getting too thick for fear of jamming your foot into the edges of it. But yeah, stainless is a bitch to keep clean. Partly why I went all white in my house kitchen reno. Didn't want to deal with the stainless fingerprints.

We’re getting a new tub and tile work done to replace our weird 60s step-in shower that leaked a ton of water down to the floor below. Please post your tub/shower tile inspo, if you’ve gotten work done and are proud of it!

We’re getting a new tub and tile work done to replace our weird 60s step-in shower that leaked a ton of water down to the floor below. Please post your tub/shower tile inspo, if you’ve gotten work done and are proud of it!
We’re happy with ours. Tile wasn’t cheap though

View attachment 169208

Reno’d our guest bath. Took about 2 weeks (hired professionals). This marks the 3rd major renovation since we moved in 2018. 2 baths + upstairs flooring.

We’re happy with ours. Tile wasn’t cheap though
We went with an acrylic sheet that mimicked marble tile. It's pretty convincing at a distance and seemed like a good, low maintenance option.

1680113864922.jpeg

Nice. I have never had a place where they go no door open shower room so I am always fascinated by it and thought that might be the case here. We will probably do glass doors too.
I would have loved to do a curbless system in the shower, but the space and ceiling below couldn't accommodate. Also, the practicalities of just having a potentially wet floor all the time made me pause. Also if I had more space/money to burn I would have turned the whole walk-in closet into a HUGE shower.

Last edited:
I would have loved to do a curbless system in the shower, but the space and ceiling below couldn't accommodate. Also, the practicalities of just having a potentially wet floor all the time made me pause. Alos if I had more space to burn I would have turned the whole walk-in closet into a HUGE shower.
I love almost everything about my house but the one thing that royally sucks is the 1960's bathrooms that are basically closets. The en suite, fine, I can handle that but just one bathroom big enough for two adults to stand in at the same time would be great.

Nice. I have never had a place where they go no door open shower room so I am always fascinated by it and thought that might be the case here. We will probably do glass doors too.
My dad went a shower without a door. One of the things they did to assist the process was a fully tiled floor with multiple drains to assist with floor drainage.

I love almost everything about my house but the one thing that royally sucks is the 1960's bathrooms that are basically closets. The en suite, fine, I can handle that but just one bathroom big enough for two adults to stand in at the same time would be great.
We got a 60s condo and, somehow, it’s got pretty large rooms and bathrooms that make sense in 2023 (I think this community was a giant resort-y place that used to have a health club/spa and tennis courts in the 60s before it got pared down to just the units) and also…drum roll…no asbestos*!!!

*Which we learned after a plumber went HAM on our garage popcorn ceiling roof after we told him not to, causing what we thought was an environmental disaster. Thankfully, tests came back and no ‘bestos.

My dad went a shower without a door. One of the things they did to assist the process was a fully tiled floor with multiple drains to assist with floor drainage.
My mom actually has one now since she moved in with her new husband but I’ve never used it, so there is still an air of mystery to me around showering in an open room and then just drying off and leaving said room as is.

I sort of had a similar view of stairs, since all my childhood homes were one story and we never lived in an apartment. They seemed like something only fancy people had (that idea changed after 10 years of adult living in apartments lol).

My mom actually has one now since she moved in with her new husband but I’ve never used it, so there is still an air of mystery to me around showering in an open room and then just drying off and leaving said room as is.

I sort of had a similar view of stairs, since all my childhood homes were one story and we never lived in an apartment. They seemed like something only fancy people had (that idea changed after 10 years of adult living in apartments lol).
One thing I did think about far too late for my own bathroom was I should have added an infrared heat lamp. I remember a work trip I stayed in a beach house on Long Island that had one, and stepping out of a shower in winter, there was nothing so satisfying as feeling like a lizard basking under a fake sun.

One thing I did think about far too late for my own bathroom was I should have added an infrared heat lamp. I remember a work trip I stayed in a beach house on Long Island that had one, and stepping out of a shower in winter, there was nothing so satisfying as feeling like a lizard basking under a fake sun.
*googling “what is infrared heat lamp”*

We got a 60s condo and, somehow, it’s got pretty large rooms and bathrooms that make sense in 2023 (I think this community was a giant resort-y place that used to have a health club/spa and tennis courts in the 60s before it got pared down to just the units) and also…drum roll…no asbestos*!!!

*Which we learned after a plumber went HAM on our garage popcorn ceiling roof after we told him not to, causing what we thought was an environmental disaster. Thankfully, tests came back and no ‘bestos.
Yeah the first thing I did before I put an offer in on my 1960s house was to book a viewing with my agent, the house was vacant at the time. I told her to look the other way, and then proceeded to remove lighting fixtures and break off pieces of ceiling plaster in every room that looked suspicious, took plaster from the edge of one wall and then also took pieces from some left over floor tiles in the basement that looked suspicious and had them all lab tested. When the results came back positive I put my offer in, informed the homeowner I'd had everything professionally tested and he could either pay to have the whole house professionally abated or he could re list with the results of the testing included in the listing because he'd be legally required to do so. He took option A and paid $24,000 to have the place abated. I felt kinda bad, but in this current market in Canada, that feeling went away pretty quick.

Last edited:
Yeah the first thing I did before I put an offer in on my house was to book a viewing with my agent, the house was vacant at the time. I told her to look the other way, and then proceeded to remove lighting fixtures and break off pieces of ceiling plaster in every room that looked suspicious, took plaster from the edge of one wall and then also took pieces from some left over floor tiles in the basement that looked suspicious and had them all lab tested. When the results came back positive I put my offer in, informed the homeowner I'd had everything professionally tested and he could either pay to have the whole house professionally abated or he could re list with the results of the testing indeed in the listing because he'd be legally required to do so. He took option A and paid $24,000 to have the place abated. I felt kinda bad, but in this current market in Canada, that feeling went away pretty quick.
I want there to be a biopic of your life, just so I can see the negotiation scene where the seller and his real estate agent are across a table from your team, listening to your offer, while a montage of the test sample heist is intercut with the seller agent whispering into the seller’s ear and the seller’s eyes opening up as he realizes how screwed he is. Lol.

Back