Home Improvement Thread 2: Electric Redo the Loo

Today, second story tub leaked water through floor and down first story lamp and knocked power out. We haven’t had a “boring” week in 3+ months. Lolol.
Feel this hard. Had a similar incident that luckily didn't knock power out but took out the whole ceiling. Plus a dozen other problems. Need a boring week bad. Solidarity.

I, uh, what exactly did your inspection report say before you bought it?
I mean, even with a report, shit happens.

Any house/condo that you own is always an adventure for sure. But it will calm down, the first little while is usually the craziest.
or it all happens at once.... like the stove dies, then the water heater goes, then you find out the power box was grounded wrong, then the top blows from the new water heater because the ac unit was actually the culprit of all the fucking electrical problems... best was a few weeks ago when the water heater went out for a third time since last year and the knucklehead electrician I had at the time (recommended by my real estate agent) had complained about aluminum wiring being the culprit to the water heater, he then replaced the wire running to the water heater with copper, but it was still an aluminum wire running to the power box. Which is supremely frustrating because all the copper wiring in the house has been fun to learn to deal with because the last time i messed with any electrical, I have no idea what it was, but it wasn't copper.

It's always something and when it is, it's usually a bunch of shit at once. Especially when I have my eye on a piece of kit!

Buying drains is like buying kit. Why the fuck are there so many? Why do some cost no money and some cost a lot? It’s a fucking drain! Stainless steel should be like the only requirement. Instead there is whole fucking wall at Lowe’s.

The good news: replacing a diverter gate takes like 5 minutes.

The bad news; the gate was only about 70% of the problem.

Better than it was, but definitely not fixed. Gonna have to probably replace the spout. Another day.

Wife's fancy ass tiles were $800ish. Who's done a backsplash before, tips?
I have at my old condo but mine were the kinda small tiles that come all attached in a grid on that sorta mesh stuff. So it was pretty easy to glue and grout. Didn't have to line anything up. Although I actually liked the look of the grout staying partially covering the tiles so I didn't entirely wipe it all off, which I liked but admittedly others probably right I just did a crap job of grouting.

I have at my old condo but mine were the kinda small tiles that come all attached in a grid on that sorta mesh stuff. So it was pretty easy to glue and grout. Didn't have to line anything up. Although I actually liked the look of the grout staying partially covering the tiles so I didn't entirely wipe it all off, which I liked but admittedly others probably right I just did a crap job of grouting.
By all accounts looking at things online, I've certainly done harder things, not looking forward to places where I have to cut the tile all funny.

Yeah I didn't really have to do any cutting. I'm assuming you bought about 10% extra tiles?
Rounded up sqaure feet and bought an extra box (which was quite a bit more than ten percent). She also bought some fancy ass ending tile bullshit that I am sure I will hate (because I'm sure they are a goddamned pain in the ass) which also will give me a few more extra tiles to play with. I tried to argue that we didn't need them as... we are going to the molding on one side and behind the fridge on the other, so who is going to see this fancy edge, but you know... Then she bitched about how much they cost and wondered if we could do it with half the number and I was like, I assume one side is finished for your edge and one side isn't so buying half to cut would be pointless. I was like YOU ARE THE ONE THAT WANTS TO BUY THE TILES THAT PROBABLY DON'T MATTER AND COST THE SAME AS 3 SQUARE FEET OF TILES FOR 1 TILE. Then she ordered the fancy ass edge tile. 🤷‍♂️

Conversations over whether or not to do some kind of fancy tile (different pattern, different color, at one point - she was looking at some weird copper sheet that cost a grand for the size we would need for the range) above the stove and sink were close to divorce inducing. We eventually decided against it.

Conversations over whether or not to do some kind of fancy tile (different pattern, different color, at one point - she was looking at some weird copper sheet that cost a grand for the size we would need for the range) above the stove and sink were close to divorce inducing. We eventually decided against it.

Interesting. If I ever put in a new kitchen one of my my plans was to buy a thin sheet of brushed stainless steel for the back splash to my hobs. Just buying it from a metal fabricator seemed cheaper than tiles here. Certainly cheaper than my first choice which is to cover the kitchen walls in brick slips made from reclaimed bricks from demolished Victorian houses.

Equally brushed stainless steel isn’t copper.

Interesting. If I ever put in a new kitchen one of my my plans was to buy a thin sheet of brushed stainless steel for the back splash to my hobs. Just buying it from a metal fabricator seemed cheaper than tiles here. Certainly cheaper than my first choice which is to cover the kitchen walls in brick slips made from reclaimed bricks from demolished Victorian houses.

Equally brushed stainless steel isn’t copper.
Oh it was hand crafted hammered copper with a big tree thing on it. It would have been magnificent. But a little more than we wanted to spend after the other 15k we’ve spent on the kitchen.

Back