I Don't Know Them: The June 2024 Vinyl Challenge Thread

Day 15: One Sweet Day
a smash ballad dedicated to Mariah’s former collaborator David Cole, Boyz II Men’s road manager Khalil & the victims of the AIDS epidemic. play a record dedicated to a loved one (whether by the artist or by yourself)

Sufjan Stevens - Javelin

Sufjan posted when this album was released, "this album is dedicated to the light of my life, my beloved partner and best friend Evans Richardson, who passed away in April."

315a59ad-bc24-4ec4-b98d-ad3540e03c15-1_all_42392.jpg

Day 19: My All
Play something romantic.

I'm shocked that Vero is even still around. I was also glad to see they couldn't even get 500 people on a social media platform to buy it and eventually sold it in their member store.

Al Green – I'm Still In Love With You
Hi Records/Fat Possum Records – FPH1136-1VMP, 1972/2016

Initially released through the social media platform Vero - then released to regular members of VMP
Numbered/Limited to 500, #423

Cut by Wes Garland at NRP
Pressed at United

d1TdToi.jpg

orTsJ9q.jpg

Day 20: I Still Believe
Play a greatest hits record (or some great hits if you’re anti-greatest hits)

The Damned – Another Great Record From The Damned: The Best Of The Damned
Milan – A 120 173, 1981/?

French Pressing - Black label reissue

Pressed at Polygram Industries Messageries

3TYj7vm.jpg

Kyg9MB8.jpg

from her first… “greatest hits” album, this song was originally a top 20 hit in 1988 for Brenda K. Starr who Mariah sang backing vocals for around that time and was added onto that comp as a homage. play a greatest hits record (or some great hits if you’re anti-greatest hits)

Sonic Youth - Hits Are For Squares
IMG_5266.jpeg

I am not a huge fan of Greatest Hits comps and as you can guess by the title, neither is Sonic Youth. This set I a bit more fun than most. Instead of just compiling a collection of singles and fan favorites, this comp (that was originally commissioned and sold as a CD in Starbucks) has the bands famous friends and admires select their favorite track and then provide a write up on why the selected it. You end up with a nice mix of tracks selected by the likes of Clöe Sevigny, Dave Eggers, Beck, Michelle Williams Dave Atell, Radiohead and many more.

from her first… “greatest hits” album, this song was originally a top 20 hit in 1988 for Brenda K. Starr who Mariah sang backing vocals for around that time and was added onto that comp as a homage. play a greatest hits record (or some great hits if you’re anti-greatest hits)

Sonic Youth - Hits Are For Squares
View attachment 206366

I am not a huge fan of Greatest Hits comps and as you can guess by the title, neither is Sonic Youth. This set I a bit more fun than most. Instead of just compiling a collection of singles and fan favorites, this comp (that was originally commissioned and sold as a CD in Starbucks) has the bands famous friends and admires select their favorite track and then provide a write up on why the selected it. You end up with a nice mix of tracks selected by the likes of Clöe Sevigny, Dave Eggers, Beck, Michelle Williams Dave Atell, Radiohead and many more.

Borrowing my friends copy of this last year is very much how and why I've wound up with 3 or 4 SY records and counting!

Did you use an app for this, or manually generate it?
If you have an updated Discogs you can download this
And they have a charts section where you can see a charts & Graphs breakdown of your collection. It’s kinda fun.

If you have an updated Discogs you can download this
And they have a charts section where you can see a charts & Graphs breakdown of your collection. It’s kinda fun.

I don't Apple, so that's out for me, but I'll see if I can't find something because I'd love to see the breakdown.

Given todays reunion news, this seems appropriate. Now lets get a Ruby Vroom repress in the mix please.

Soul Coughing ~ Lust in Phaze: The Best of Soul Coughing

IMG_8084.jpeg

Back