I Don't Know Them: The June 2024 Vinyl Challenge Thread

Day 21: Heartbreaker
the most expensive music video Mariah's ever made (and imagine how much more expensive it would've been had Jay-Z been allowed to appear). play a record that either broke the bank for you or could break someone else's bank if you decided to sell it (something expensive, basically)

Goose "2019.11.16 Buffalo NY" (2021 self-released)
Goose fans are crazy. If I ever need a quick cash influx, I know what to do. Reason I picked-up this one on the pre-order is because I like their Take On Me cover.
Untitled-1.jpg

IMG_1424.JPG

the most expensive music video Mariah's ever made (and imagine how much more expensive it would've been had Jay-Z been allowed to appear). play a record that either broke the bank for you or could break someone else's bank if you decided to sell it (something expensive, basically)

Won this on a $5 raffle ticket at a Pearl Jam Wishlist Foundation fundraiser before a show in 2009, worth around $200+ now. As it turns out, it did break the bank as it launched me back into the world of vinyl considering what I've spent on equipment and records since then.

Pearl Jam ~ Ten Super Deluxe Edition

IMG_8091.jpeg

Sonny Sharrock - Ask the Ages

I don’t think I own anything insanely expensive. But I’d make a nice little profit if I ever decided to sell this VMP exclusive.

IMG_6897.jpeg
IMG_6898.png

IMG_8680.jpeg

Mariah’s 14th #1 hit & Jay-Z’s 1st. Yes, really. Jay-Z has only 4 #1 hits & all of them are collabs with female singers, 3 of which he’s a feature on (Heartbreaker, Crazy In Love, Umbrella & Empire State of Mind). There’s a great argument as to why the charts don’t really matter, but that won’t stop me from obsessing over them lol.

Anyway, here’s my pick for today…

Melanie Martinez - Cry Baby’s Extra Clutter EP

IMG_8682.jpeg

Image 2024-06-21 at 1.46 PM.jpeg

Dinosaur (Jr.) - You’re Living All Over Me
IMG_5319.jpeg

Definitely the most I’ve ever paid for an album but also one that was paid for completely by trading in other albums so depending on how one looks at it you might be able to spin it as it was actually free?

Sonny Sharrock - Ask the Ages

I don’t think I own anything insanely expensive. But I’d make a nice little profit if I ever decided to sell this VMP exclusive.

View attachment 206501
View attachment 206502
I read this as Shifty Sherlock for a quick second and was...surprised, 😂

Day 22: Thank God I Found You
the original version of this song is unremarkable, but I like how they turn the remix into almost a cover of Keith Sweat's "Make It Last Forever". play a record that samples/borrows/steals from another piece of work (the more obvious, the better!)

Is it really stealing if it's your own material?

Bonus points for having the coconuts to do it on the same record...

The Jesus And Mary Chain - Psychocandy

IMG_5646.jpeg

Day 21
IMG_8781.jpeg
Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys

So I’ve got one steps and Frank Ocean records Things worth a lot of money. Things that cost a lot of money. However, I think this is kind of expensive, especially considering that it was a replacement record and I bought the wrong one which probably means I’ll buy it again one day.
IMG_8780.jpeg
Now consider for a second that this is an estate version and that I already owned a copy (albeit a generic Capital version). Jimi is one of my faves. I had read somewhere that the 50th anniversary used the classic plates (seems to be the case) and that it was the best version to have. So I hunted me down a 50th anniversary copy that didn’t cost an arm and a leg (during the time when records got dumb cause of the pandemic). I bought it and then realized I bought the European version that didn’t use the same plates as the American version (no one seems to know who made this cut).

However, it is better than the version I had. In fact sounds awesome as hell this evening in my headphones.

Stupid fucking records.

Day 18: Honey
the first song/video to present a sexier image of Mariah as she would soon be free from the constraints she faced under her label boss/ex-husband Tommy Mottola. play a record that accompanied an image change.

Björk - Homogenic

View attachment 206568
A friend posted this today and freaked me the f' out.
Screenshot_2024-06-21-07-08-41-42_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

the original version of this song is unremarkable, but I like how they turn the remix into almost a cover of Keith Sweat's "Make It Last Forever". play a record that samples/borrows/steals from another piece of work (the more obvious, the better!)

Madlib - Shades of Blue

IMG_6901.jpeg

De La Soul - 3 Feet High And Rising
IMG_5333.jpeg

Producer Prince Paul is pulling all sorts of magical samples out of his hat on De La’s debut. My favorite is his use of Steely Dan’s “Peg” on their hit, “Eye Know”

Melanie Charles weaves around and remixes classics from the Verve catalog on this excellent album.

Melanie Charles ~ Y'all Don't (Really) Care About Black Women

IMG_8096.jpeg

Day 20: I Still Believe
from her first… “greatest hits” album, this song was originally a top 20 hit in 1988 for Brenda K. Starr who Mariah sang backing vocals for around that time and was added onto that comp as a homage. play a greatest hits record (or some great hits if you’re anti-greatest hits)

IMG_8449.JPG

IMG_8451.JPG

Caught up, sweet!

IMG_8456.JPG

Back