I Don't Know Them: The June 2024 Vinyl Challenge Thread

If you have an updated Discogs you can download this
And they have a charts section where you can see a charts & Graphs breakdown of your collection. It’s kinda fun.
How did you get to the chart? On my Mac if I use the app it just does charts for collection value which is useless, but doesn't let me choose to do it by artist. I haven't tried on my phone yet, so maybe that's more updated than the desktop app.

How did you get to the chart? On my Mac if I use the app it just does charts for collection value which is useless, but doesn't let me choose to do it by artist. I haven't tried on my phone yet, so maybe that's more updated than the desktop app.
From the phone app there is a profile tab and up by your photo there is a “Charts” button.
IMG_5278.jpeg

Day 21: Heartbreaker

Day 22: Thank God I Found You

Day 23: Loverboy

Day 24: I Know What You Want

Day 25: We Belong Together

her big comeback hit & the biggest (non-holiday) hit of her career on the Hot 100! play a comeback record

Day 26: Shake It Off

Day 27: Don’t Forget About Us

Day 28: Touch My Body

Day 29: Obsessed

Just want to give @Wicked Dreamer a kick in the butt so I can plan what I'm spinning the next couple days.

Day 20: I Still Believe

IMG_8679.jpeg

One of four new songs on Mariah’s #1’s CD, the other 3 being a cover of Rainy Davis’ “Sweetheart” with Jermaine Dupri (that was nearly a single but its release was cancelled at the last minute), “When You Believe (from The Prince of Egypt)” with Whitney Houston (which only peaked at #15, believe it or not) & a duet version of the Butterfly album track “Whenever You Call” with Brian McKnight (the weakest track on both albums imo).

Bonus: here’s the “Pure Imagination” remix ft. Krayzie Bone & Da Brat that was played on R&B radio. Yes, it’s exactly what you think it is.

Anyway, here’s my pick for today…

Janis Joplin’s Greatest Hits

IMG_8678.jpeg

Day 16: Always Be My Baby
a song that's often been acclaimed as one of her best but doesn't really do anything for me. on the flip side, play a record you love that not many other people seem to like (from your pov)

Grey Boy Allstars - A Town Called Earth

One of my all time favorite albums....it just hits the spot every time.
I bought it randomly at an antique store in remote northern Michigan in the late 90s. They had a small bin of CDs, and this had a sticker that said 'acid jazz' on it. I didn't know that genre at the time, but bought it based on the fact that I liked both words.
At first listen, it reminded me of Deodato. Prelude was an album that my parents played a lot back in the 70s. (The cover always freaked me out, that color of green on a brick wall with the harsh tree shadows.) Anyway, that was my path to all the funky keyboard jazz that I love to this day.

It finally got pressed in 2022, to my sheer joy. I always figured if I ever did a N&G ROTM it would be this album. So, that means now it can't be.
Anyway...I'm buzzed for the first time all week and probably a bit garrulous rn.

IMG_8426.JPG

Day 17: Forever
this song made #9 on Billboard’s airplay chart, but didn’t chart on the Hot 100 thanks to Billboard’s idiotic rules on radio-only hits then. play a record or artist you first heard through the radio

I definitely remember when they hit the radio. It was seemingly overnight, when 101.1 WRIF started playing these guys, and REM and a couple other bands that weren't all that similar to the other music being played on the station. I rejected it at first, but all these years later it's just fantastic songwriting and music making.

IMG_8427.JPG

Day 16: Always Be My Baby
a song that's often been acclaimed as one of her best but doesn't really do anything for me. on the flip side, play a record you love that not many other people seem to like (from your pov)

Lusine - A Certain Distance

According to a quick search, I'm the only person on this forum ever to post anything about Lusine.

1000150298.jpg

Day 17: Forever
this song made #9 on Billboard’s airplay chart, but didn’t chart on the Hot 100 thanks to Billboard’s idiotic rules on radio-only hits then. play a record or artist you first heard through the radio

Beck - Midnite Vultures

During my time as a Mormon high schooler, I had to sneak radio (getting caught usually meant a few weeks of total grounding- no friends, no tv, no music, no books). The first single from this album having "sex" in the chorus made it feel particularly rebellious...

1000150300.jpg

from her first… “greatest hits” album, this song was originally a top 20 hit in 1988 for Brenda K. Starr who Mariah sang backing vocals for around that time and was added onto that comp as a homage. play a greatest hits record (or some great hits if you’re anti-greatest hits)

Commodores - Greatest Hits

IMG_5702.jpeg

the most expensive music video Mariah's ever made (and imagine how much more expensive it would've been had Jay-Z been allowed to appear). play a record that either broke the bank for you or could break someone else's bank if you decided to sell it (something expensive, basically)

Bought this at a yard sale for .50¢...

The Doors - S/T Mono White Label Promo
  • Have: 307
  • Want: 1489
  • Low: $300.00
  • Median: $375.00
  • High: $450.00
20201209_013500.jpeg20201209_013527.jpeg

Play a record that either broke the bank for you or could break someone else's bank if you decided to sell it (something expensive, basically)

I usually try not to spend much on a record - $80 seems to be my max, occasionally going over. So I know I wouldn't be buying this off me if I would ever sell it.

I'm not playing this because it happens to have the song "Heartbreaker" - but because I would totally price gouge if I had to sell it. The $$ value on Discogs is a bit of a mess, I think people can't really grade records properly and sell a lot of Good records as VG or VG+, so finding the real value of this specific release is a bit of a pain.

My copy isn't close to 2 Grand, but it's easily more than $100

Screenshot 2024-06-21 010959.jpg

Led Zeppelin – Led Zeppelin II
Atlantic – SD 8236. 1969

Cut by Robert Ludwig at Sterling Sound
Pressed at Monarch Record Mfg. Co.

M6CWzDk.jpg

mFkwhXy.jpg

bP2Zsmm.jpg

sIEzOGW.jpg

from her first… “greatest hits” album, this song was originally a top 20 hit in 1988 for Brenda K. Starr who Mariah sang backing vocals for around that time and was added onto that comp as a homage. play a greatest hits record (or some great hits if you’re anti-greatest hits)

Franz Ferdinand "Hits To The Head" (2021 Domino)

IMG_1420.JPG

If you have an updated Discogs you can download this
And they have a charts section where you can see a charts & Graphs breakdown of your collection. It’s kinda fun.

oooh, nice

Mariah Carey - #1 to Infinity

IMG_6896.jpeg

Back