I Don't Know Them: The June 2024 Vinyl Challenge Thread

Day 24: I Know What You Want
this Busta Rhymes/Flipmode Squad collab marked Mariah's first appearance in the Hot 100 top 10, top 40 and top 80 for the first time in almost two years and her first top 5 pop radio hit since *looks up on wiki...* 1996?! ...anyway, play a record released after a long hiatus

Sleep - The Sciences

They recorded their third album in 1996. They wouldn’t release the follow up until 2018.

IMG_6925.jpeg

Day 25: We Belong Together

The biggest hit of the entire 2000s on the Hot 100 & a much needed comeback for Mariah after the back-to-back bombs of Glitter (a decent soundtrack backing a terrible film) & Charmbracelet (which just flat-out sucks).

Anyway, here’s my pick for today…

Madonna - Ray of Light

IMG_8702.jpeg

Her most acclaimed album since Like a Prayer & her most acclaimed of the entire 90s decade (though I personally prefer Erotica).

her big comeback hit & the biggest (non-holiday) hit of her career on the Hot 100! play a record considered a comeback or return to form for the artist

Muddy Waters - Fathers and Sons

After experimenting with psychedelic production and sounds, Muddy went back to basics on this release. No fancy studio wizardry. Just Muddy singing and playing raw blues with a killer band behind him.

IMG_6928.jpeg

her big comeback hit & the biggest (non-holiday) hit of her career on the Hot 100! play a record considered a comeback or return to form for the artist

I'm coming around on this record and can see it as a 'return to form'. While I'm not a fan of the production there is definitely an cohesive energy and creativity (Not to mention some great McCready solos) that wasn't as evident on the last few releases.

Pearl Jam ~ Dark Matter

IMG_8123.jpeg

Play a record released after a long hiatus

Released 22 years, 1 day after "About Face (1984)" -

David Gilmour – On An Island
Parlophone – 0946 3 55695 1 3, 2006/2015

Cut by Scott Stratton
Pressed at MPO

oR2pyfY.jpg

0Gb3gwQ.jpg

I struggled with this prompt...I was trying to come up with an artist that dipped in creativity or interestingness, then bounced back. It was difficult.

So I went more literal. Nate brought back the bigger band after his solo album. He returned to the physical form that put him on the map. But this isn't to say And It's Still Alright was a letdown, I adore that album, and have it as my second favorite of all his releases.

I like this album quite a bit too, but haven't fallen in love with it in the way I did with Tearing at the Seams.
And I just got a shipping notice on his newest album!

IMG_8523.JPG

When you're an incredibly prolific chameleon, there are gonna be chances for a comeback.

Neil Young during the 80's ran the gamut from electronic music to rockabilly to country to new waveish rock. Us diehards, we understood Neil and took it all in stride. Most other folks - not so much.

His last record of the 80's brought everyone back into the circle.

Here's a great story about The Alarm covering 'Rockin' In The Free World' before it was even released...........and Neil embracing it...

Neil Young - Freedom

IMG_5753.jpeg

Day 26: Shake It Off
the Calgon commercial reference is the lyric that stands out the most to me on this song. play a record you heard in a commercial or something that sounds like it could be in a commercial

If any album says "Hey, lets go on vacation" it's Blood On The Tracks. Shelter From The Storm was used in a commercial for AirBNB. The video is unrelated to this, but a good riff on a commercial Dylan did for Chrysler a few years ago.

Bob Dylan ~ Blood on the Tracks

IMG_8129.jpeg

Day 23: Loverboy
from the soundtrack of her cinematic masterpiece "Glitter"! ...I can't believe I was able to type that with a straight face. :ROFLMAO: play a soundtrack album (or a record featuring a song from a movie)

Various Artists "Heavy Metal Music From The Motion Picture" (1981 Sony Japan)

IMG_1442.JPG

this Busta Rhymes/Flipmode Squad collab marked Mariah's first appearance in the Hot 100 top 10, top 40 and top 80 for the first time in almost two years and her first top 5 pop radio hit since *looks up on wiki...* 1996?! ...anyway, play a record released after a long hiatus

Blur "The Ballad Of Darren" (2023 Parlophone)
There were 8 years between this and Magic Whip. And actually a little under 12 between Think Tank and Magic Whip, but I felt like listening to Darren today.

IMG_1443.JPG

Play a comeback record

They had a stretch of five not really all that good albums between Untouchables in 2002 this and this released in 2013.

This album marked the return of guitarist Brian "Head" Welch, so that could have been some reason...also was the album after the dub-step album - which I really didn't like originally, but has grown on me and it's still not all that good.

Not a fan of the front artwork having that printed-on image of the picture disc - seems that this should have been a hype sticker or something.

Korn – The Paradigm Shift
Prospect Park – 3985012186, 2013/2014

#BFRSD14 - Picture disc - limited to 1000

j9WPqBa.jpg

X6ia9v9.jpg

Day 26: Shake It Off
Play a record you heard in a commercial or something that sounds like it could be in a commercial

I really wouldn't have thought I'd hear some Dimebag riffs in a Carl Jr.'s commercial...but there it is.

(or Hardee's depending on your region...being originally from the midwest I grew up with Hardee's. I also remember Burger Chef - and when our local turned into a Hardee's)

Pantera – Far Beyond Driven
EastWest Records America – RCV1 92302, 1994/2021

Cut by Ian Sefchick at Capitol Mastering
Pressed at MPO

y6acKiU.jpg

G0c8DtU.jpg

Last edited:

D'Angelo - Black Messiah
IMG_5395.jpeg

14 years is a long ass time.

Back