J-Jazz (Japanese Jazz)

so picked up one of the next batch of TBM reissues, Toki by Hidefumi Toki today - excited for this one as I don't own an original and originals are stupid expensive...and this is "spiritual" in the most listenable way, plus a guitar which tends to soften things a bit to my liking....

so...SQ is real good not great, I just expect more from peak era TBM than this - in no way does this sound bad, it sounds real good, actually... its just not doing any of the things original TBMs do - if there is a way to describe it, its just less 'fresh' still good, and yet, still better than most - I picked up 2 of the first batch and they have a similar sonic signature...is it older tapes, does BGs Tokyo studio have different electronics, who knows, but maybe this is why searching for originals (and I include subsequent Japanese pressings from 70s in this) may be a thing.

still the most interesting of the TBM reissues so far, hopefully they continue to stretch this out.

so picked up one of the next batch of TBM reissues, Toki by Hidefumi Toki today - excited for this one as I don't own an original and originals are stupid expensive...and this is "spiritual" in the most listenable way, plus a guitar which tends to soften things a bit to my liking....

so...SQ is real good not great, I just expect more from peak era TBM than this - in no way does this sound bad, it sounds real good, actually... its just not doing any of the things original TBMs do - if there is a way to describe it, its just less 'fresh' still good, and yet, still better than most - I picked up 2 of the first batch and they have a similar sonic signature...is it older tapes, does BGs Tokyo studio have different electronics, who knows, but maybe this is why searching for originals (and I include subsequent Japanese pressings from 70s in this) may be a thing.

still the most interesting of the TBM reissues so far, hopefully they continue to stretch this out.
and remember this is TBM I'm talking about...only comparing to this world, not the normal world..;-)

Back