J-Jazz (Japanese Jazz)

I am definitely going to get Formation. I have only seen it at auction one or two times in many years. I really like Maki. Also a very tough one to find.

Hopefully they will get around to Trio by Trio +1. It was supposed to be reissued a year or so ago but was suddenly shelved. My hopes of getting an OG are not high so I would love a reissue.
yeah definitely rare...I really hope they go back to tip-on sleeves as the last couple were direct prints, would have been nice to see these with replica obi instead of the pink project re:vinyl as I think they generally look better, but Ogawa-san does a really good job on sound considering everything is cut from digital, (and yes I have asked him in person and no he doesn't hide this...)

Next batch of the three blind mice sony titles are up for order in japan.

Next batch of the three blind mice sony titles are up for order in japan.

Haven't even finished my coffee yet and you're already waging war against my wallet.

I still gotta place an order from the last few, as well as some of the earliest releases (e.g. Misty). But also ~$40 a pop adds up so I am not in any rush.

I still gotta place an order from the last few, as well as some of the earliest releases (e.g. Misty). But also ~$40 a pop adds up so I am not in any rush.
not sure how often they will repress some of these. i really just want Orangutan from this batch. kinda disappointed they keep doing the same other titles over and over. at least this series has some different titles but i feel like Misty/Girl Talk/Midnight Sugar are the Kind of Blue of the TBM reissue catalogue....a new company does a new reissue every other year.

not sure how often they will repress some of these. i really just want Orangutan from this batch. kinda disappointed they keep doing the same other titles over and over. at least this series has some different titles but i feel like Misty/Girl Talk/Midnight Sugar are the Kind of Blue of the TBM reissue catalogue....a new company does a new reissue every other year.
No aspirations to complete the set so FOMO isn't really playing a role, more just that I love everything TBM do so it's a fun dive into these waters.

And yeah keeping up with all the reissues is getting kind of annoying. Misty alone has one every year it seems.

No aspirations to complete the set so FOMO isn't really playing a role, more just that I love everything TBM do so it's a fun dive into these waters.

And yeah keeping up with all the reissues is getting kind of annoying. Misty alone has one every year it seems.
Yea--I won't complete the set either on this one. Just hoping they do a bunch that I've been looking for. Would love Green Caterpillar at some point.

I'm happy enough with my Le Tres Jazz Club pressing of it, but yeah it needs to be in circulation. Also finding Planets (the BBE Imada) is harder to find. The world needs more crazy ass funk fusion from Imada.

I'm happy enough with my Le Tres Jazz Club pressing of it, but yeah it needs to be in circulation. Also finding Planets (the BBE Imada) is harder to find. The world needs more crazy ass funk fusion from Imada.
the Le Tres pressing is fine. Could be better and mine is a tad noisy. i'd trade it in for a nicer jacket + nicer pressing + bernie grandma cut.

sony has been very active with represses here, so I would imagine if these sell out they will repress...but jazz is a fickle beast and timing is everything...I wish I worked in their marketing department, they have no idea how to create demand, only respond to it....

sony has been very active with represses here, so I would imagine if these sell out they will repress...but jazz is a fickle beast and timing is everything...I wish I worked in their marketing department, they have no idea how to create demand, only respond to it....
These have been very poorly advertised here in the US, probably because they are imports. Weirdly noticed they are available at big box stores like Best Buy online but at high prices. LITA carries them but not a ton of copies. I wouldn’t say TBM is well known in the US at all outside of people who are very into jazz.

These have been very poorly advertised here in the US, probably because they are imports. Weirdly noticed they are available at big box stores like Best Buy online but at high prices. LITA carries them but not a ton of copies. I wouldn’t say TBM is well known in the US at all outside of people who are very into jazz.
Japanese companies, Japanese thinking, everything is complicated here...but they missed a moment to really cement TBM as a 'blue note' equivalent and create more 'fans' just like BN has done with tone poets...

Japanese companies, Japanese thinking, everything is complicated here...but they missed a moment to really cement TBM as a 'blue note' equivalent and create more 'fans' just like BN has done with tone poets...
Not sure about that! These TBM sell out fast. They are not aimed at the foreign markets, although I have no doubt Sony is well aware that many are exported.

TBM was never a BN equivalent, it's catalog is far too narrow, and veered from very straight ahead piano trio sessions to a lesser number of hard bop, never really venturing into more avant-garde or fusion type music.

It's major claim to fame among 'audiophiles' has been the recording quality. But their recording methods tended to work better on more straight ahead stuff, more dense and complex material wasn't their thing, and didn't sell nearly as well at the time.

And why would anyone advertise a product in foreign markets they only have a handful of to sell?

Not sure about that! These TBM sell out fast. They are not aimed at the foreign markets, although I have no doubt Sony is well aware that many are exported.

TBM was never a BN equivalent, it's catalog is far too narrow, and veered from very straight ahead piano trio sessions to a lesser number of hard bop, never really venturing into more avant-garde or fusion type music.

It's major claim to fame among 'audiophiles' has been the recording quality. But their recording methods tended to work better on more straight ahead stuff, more dense and complex material wasn't their thing, and didn't sell nearly as well at the time.

And why would anyone advertise a product in foreign markets they only have a handful of to sell?
respectfully disagree, although I can understand my usage of the word equivalent may have been misused - my intention was that tbm is the most famous j-jazz label and has fame because of that, just like bn is the most famous jazz label. your point is correct from audiophiles, but id say that 50-60% of the tbm catalog are truly excellent sessions - BN probably bats higher, especially in the prime years, no doubt, but Sony had an opportunity to create even more fame for the label...

and its not exactly advertising anymore...but social media is borderless and is the main driver of awareness and then demand from fans and potential fans....they can always make more records, but they can't make more moments...

respectfully disagree, although I can understand my usage of the word equivalent may have been misused - my intention was that tbm is the most famous j-jazz label and has fame because of that, just like bn is the most famous jazz label. your point is correct from audiophiles, but id say that 50-60% of the tbm catalog are truly excellent sessions - BN probably bats higher, especially in the prime years, no doubt, but Sony had an opportunity to create even more fame for the label...

and its not exactly advertising anymore...but social media is borderless and is the main driver of awareness and then demand from fans and potential fans....they can always make more records, but they can't make more moments...
Fair, and no one can knock enjoyment of any music.

I would point out, though, that back in the day (I was around then), TBM had a fairly narrow audience and little awareness outside Japan. There were plenty great jazz labels in Japan producing outstanding records. Search them out, don't just take what reissues feed you!

Point. Reissue labels play safe. Nothing too challenging, their market is baby boomer audiophiles and relative newbies building a collection, often coming to the music new and seeking sound above all else.

Threre is an awful lot of audio pablum in the TBM catalog. Particularly at the outset, there was an insistence on heavy doses of common standards, and near the end it got to some very commercial, even poppish territory. Inbetween - there are some true gems. Unfortunately, they are unlikely to be reissued, as they are not in the circle of audiophile favorites.

Hideto kanai - Ode To Birds
Takao Uematsu - Debut
Kimiko Kasai - Yellow Carcass In The Blue
Isao Suzuki - All Right
Kenji Mori - Firebird

Just a few examples.

Advertising on social media costs money. Word of mouth on social media - unearned media in the business - works well for major artists who already have nothing to worry about, but is actually very narrow in niche material. There are simply not enough buyers for this material. And thedre is a limited potential to build greater demand. BN - no problem. TBM - in the hundreds outside japan, not thousands.

Back