Jazz

I was thinking about this, a lot of it too may be demand. In Japan (and arguably Europe), CDs are still massive (I mean compared to US market), and really in boils down to, what will sell and what market is it aimed after. At this point it seems almost rare that, at least free jazz/avant/leftfield legendary and/or rare releases is done by a US label, unless it's something that is a bit more mainstream in even that world (Sun Ra comes to mind right away), I'd assume if say you had Numero or Light In The Attic etc doing these types of reissues we'd see vinyl packages of them, but I think the market in the US for these is limited and is really aimed in Japan/Europe/UK

Also the contracts for these reissues if done on the level so to speak, may limit format and really also may boil down to margin, you can make so much more on a cd release then vinyl depending on the package, and if royalties and getting the money to say publishers and or directly to the artist the higher margin is probably the way to go

Using the Ali reissues as an example, at least one of them is still in stock. I think really that's due to price. I mean record collectors in Japan will spend the money but there maybe be a limit to that. With Survival Records out of the US, it just shows I think the market at least right away isnt there. I think if this was a Euro/UK reissue both may have sold out right away

Also the reality too is this - Free Jazz still isn't a big deal to Jazz record collectors. I mean even take this thread, and this is no offense to anyone or any post here at all, but it's a lot of mainstream jazz, I love blue note like everyone else, I love impulse too, but my heart really is in free jazz as cheesey as that sounds. Those mainstream records are easy to get and they have value, so while these more avant releases and reissues do have a lot of value, it just isn't attractive to a lot of labels outside of the small ones, and breaking the bank to sell maybe 300-500 copies of a record of say Arthur Doyle just may not be in the cards ...

Yeah, it's definitely more niche and a small run may just not be worth the hassle for a small company. As it happens, discogs mentions Babi is a needle drop remaster as the original tapes are lost so they may also consider it not worth putting back to vinyl once it's entered the digital domain which is fair enough.

Yeah, it's definitely more niche and a small run may just not be worth the hassle for a small company. As it happens, discogs mentions Babi is a needle drop remaster as the original tapes are lost so they may also consider it not worth putting back to vinyl once it's entered the digital domain which is fair enough.
Yeah, and really for these kinds of releases it may not be aimed at pure audiophiles, but record collectors in general would balk at that. This may sound like blasphemy, but it wouldn't bother me too much, as long as we got say great liner notes etc, but again I may be the minority in that camp.

I also read related, that Albert Ayler's masters, assuming it's just all Impulse!/ABC masters were all lost in that fire, so I assume we may never see reissues of those on vinyl. To be fair I believe the village vanguard record may be my only interest in the impulse bunch

Yeah, and really for these kinds of releases it may not be aimed at pure audiophiles, but record collectors in general would balk at that. This may sound like blasphemy, but it wouldn't bother me too much, as long as we got say great liner notes etc, but again I may be the minority in that camp.

I also read related, that Albert Ayler's masters, assuming it's just all Impulse!/ABC masters were all lost in that fire, so I assume we may never see reissues of those on vinyl. To be fair I believe the village vanguard record may be my only interest in the impulse bunch
Agreed here! Besides there are plenty of great reissues done of needle drops. Some of the Sun Ra stuff that has been reissued officially have been taken from clean OG vinyl pressings and one of my favorite reissues in recent memory, Khan Jamal's Drum Dance to the Motherland was as well. I can't believe that one hasn't sold out from Eremite. Highest possible recommendation.

New Tenderlonious!

Tenderlonious - Tender In Lahore

For those who can wait:
These three ragas serve as just a small taster for the recording sessions during our time in Lahore. The fruits of these sessions will be found on a new Jaubi album entitled ‘Nafs At Peace’, which is set for release on Astigmatic Records later this year… Inshallah

New Tenderlonious!

Tenderlonious - Tender In Lahore

For those who can wait:
These three ragas serve as just a small taster for the recording sessions during our time in Lahore. The fruits of these sessions will be found on a new Jaubi album entitled ‘Nafs At Peace’, which is set for release on Astigmatic Records later this year… Inshallah
This is cool but how can postage be half the price of the actual item. It's insane how much these guys charge. It costs £3.50 for a full 12" with extra card inserts through Royal Mail. To be charging £5.10 is insane.

This is cool but how can postage be half the price of the actual item. It's insane how much these guys charge. It costs £3.50 for a full 12" with extra card inserts through Royal Mail. To be charging £5.10 is insane.
That's why I'm sadly not placing orders with 22a anymore - and don't get me started on their customer service...
Additionally, a regular pressing should show up at the usual stores.

If I'm reading the quote correctly, all these tracks will be part of the new Jaubi album, right?
Or are they referring to just more tracks being part of that album?

But what matters most: I'm really loving these tunes!

That's why I'm sadly not placing orders with 22a anymore - and don't get me started on their customer service...
Additionally, a regular pressing should show up at the usual stores.

If I'm reading the quote correctly, all these tracks will be part of the new Jaubi album, right?
Or are they referring to just more tracks being part of that album?

But what matters most: I'm really loving these tunes!
Thats what I took from it as well. Im waiting as well. If it was just a few quid postage I would of considered it but I feel like theyre taking the piss a bit with the postage. I will just try to find a copy at my local if they end up releasing more tracks to sample.

I've not seen mention of this elsewhere so figured what better place to throw it up. Just picked up my copy last week from my local and am really enjoying it.

@Mr Moore @NoTrend

Loving all the free jazz talk. Been wanting to get those books and read more about it. That whole NY loft seen is really underdocmented in all types of media. When I lived in NY there were remnants of it. I remember seeing William Parker and Matthew Shipp. I need to get some more records from that time. There is just so much music money and time out there.

@Mr Moore @NoTrend

Loving all the free jazz talk. Been wanting to get those books and read more about it. That whole NY loft seen is really underdocmented in all types of media. When I lived in NY there were remnants of it. I remember seeing William Parker and Matthew Shipp. I need to get some more records from that time. There is just so much music money and time out there.
william parker and matthew shipp are great. parker's work with brotzmann is really cool. I've been wanting to check out that record he did with john zorn.

Zorn can be so hit or miss for me, but his ornette coleman covers record is awesome

I really like naked city too

william parker and matthew shipp are great. parker's work with brotzmann is really cool. I've been wanting to check out that record he did with john zorn.

Zorn can be so hit or miss for me, but his ornette coleman covers record is awesome

I was supposed to see Brotzmann before the Covid broke out.
I am a Zorn fan also (saw lot of improv shows organized by him) although because most of his stuff is released on CD I've fallen off. His stuff can get repetitive, all those Masada records. I did buy the recent 4 record set that was put out and was happy with it. My 4 year old loves to jump around to the Heavy Metal style record with Patton and Medeski.

Man I forgot about David S Ware. Who convinced them to give him a major label contract?!

I've not seen mention of this elsewhere so figured what better place to throw it up. Just picked up my copy last week from my local and am really enjoying it.

This makes me think Brownout, who released a couple of Black Sabbath cover albums in a Latin-Funk-Jazz style. Aptly called "Brown Sabbath". Ozzy approved and appeared in an episode of that Ozzy and Jack Osbourne roadtrip series.

Brownout are basically the members of Grupo Fantasma...including Adrian Quesada of Black Pumas fame (among many other bands).

They even released a version of Public Enemy's Fear of a Dark Planet:

Who fancies some detective work?

I was watching the Ken Burns Jazz documentary the other day and was really enjoying the New Orleans jazz, something which I have never been a massive fan of before. I only have a couple of albums in that style so put an order in for a Blue Note release by George Lewis. The record is signed which is a cool bonus but I can only make out 'Joe Watkins - Drums'. The rest is a mystery. If anyone could decipher any that would be great. I'm thinking Joe might be the only signature from the band that appears on the album, but I could be wrong.

IMG_6273.jpg

Thats what I took from it as well. Im waiting as well. If it was just a few quid postage I would of considered it but I feel like theyre taking the piss a bit with the postage. I will just try to find a copy at my local if they end up releasing more tracks to sample.
Here we go, first pre-order up at SOTU:

350 copies worldwide...

Back