Jazz

Who fancies some detective work?

I was watching the Ken Burns Jazz documentary the other day and was really enjoying the New Orleans jazz, something which I have never been a massive fan of before. I only have a couple of albums in that style so put an order in for a Blue Note release by George Lewis. The record is signed which is a cool bonus but I can only make out 'Joe Watkins - Drums'. The rest is a mystery. If anyone could decipher any that would be great. I'm thinking Joe might be the only signature from the band that appears on the album, but I could be wrong.

View attachment 42873

Looks like you also have Jim Robinson (centered above the 'G' in GEORGE) and George Lewis (signed 'Truly' to left of GEORGE).

Here we go, first pre-order up at SOTU:

350 copies worldwide...
Already sold out.

But still available at Rough Trade:

Looks like you also have Jim Robinson (centered above the 'G' in GEORGE) and George Lewis (signed 'Truly' to left of GEORGE).
Oh fantastic, thanks so much!! I was trying to work those out for ages, I kept thinking the 'Truly' said July :ROFLMAO:

Who fancies some detective work?

I was watching the Ken Burns Jazz documentary the other day and was really enjoying the New Orleans jazz, something which I have never been a massive fan of before. I only have a couple of albums in that style so put an order in for a Blue Note release by George Lewis. The record is signed which is a cool bonus but I can only make out 'Joe Watkins - Drums'. The rest is a mystery. If anyone could decipher any that would be great. I'm thinking Joe might be the only signature from the band that appears on the album, but I could be wrong.

View attachment 42873

Wally Adams (?) - Center, over the title
Bunk Healy (?) and Daniel Medley (?) - Right side, under Blue Note 1205
Tony or Joey W something - Left side, under Lewis

Been listening to this one a lot recently:

As somebody with only a mild understanding of Jazz history- you guys have any recs that might be in a similar vein?

This is is one of my favorite jazz records of all time! I was obsessed with it when I first discovered it. I don't have a huge depth of knowledge of jazz but a couple I would recommend are Juju by Wayne Shorter and The Thing to Do by Blue Mitchell only because they are also trumpet led albums that also blew me away.

Edit: Also if you have not explored Freddie's catalog make sure to check out Ready for Freddie, Backlash, and Straight Life

Last edited:
This is is one of my favorite jazz records of all time! I was obsessed with it when I first discovered it. I don't have a huge depth of knowledge of jazz but a couple I would recommend are Juju by Wayne Shorter and The Thing to Do by Blue Mitchell only because they are also trumpet led albums that also blew me away.

Edit: Also if you have not explored Freddie's catalog make sure to check out Ready for Freddie, Backlash, and Straight Life

Appreciated. The jazz albums I like, I like a lot, but I'm fairly picky and, unlike nearly other genre, I have no sense of direction because the genre is so vast and it's prime so long ago. Definitely thing my taste in jazz is at least, in part, influenced by hip-hop though.

Check out Jack Wilkins’s cover of Red Clay!

2 points on Strata East:

1) Please make their catalogue available on Spotify! It's a pity that I can't dive deeper into the records released by this label. The type of uncompromising, obscure and spiritual jazz is exactly my cup of tea, and I feel like I'm missing a lot of records by not being able to stream them.

2) Can we please get a Pure Pleasure reissue of "Mtume Umoja Ensemble - Alkebu - Lan, Land of the Blacks"? I just discovered this album and it may be one of the best Strata East albums I've heard. There seems to be a recent European reissue, but I'm sure PP would do an awesome job if they released it, and it would also be more widely available.

I was flicking through an old copy of Downbeat Magazine, the 18th February 1960, and stumbled across a cool piece of jazz history. Many of you will be familiar with the story which occurred in August 1959. Miles Davis was performing at Birdland (his name was plastered on posters outside the venue) and was calling a cab from his white girlfriend. A police officer then told him to move from the spot as he was loitering and an argument took place. The officer struck him with a truncheon, splitting his head open, and arrested him. 6-Months later and the courts dismissed the charge against him of assaulting the officer and here's the article:

IMG_6361.jpg

I was flicking through an old copy of Downbeat Magazine, the 18th February 1960, and stumbled across a cool piece of jazz history. Many of you will be familiar with the story which occurred in August 1959. Miles Davis was performing at Birdland (his name was plastered on posters outside the venue) and was calling a cab from his white girlfriend. A police officer then told him to move from the spot as he was loitering and an argument took place. The officer struck him with a truncheon, splitting his head open, and arrested him. 6-Months later and the courts dismissed the charge against him of assaulting the officer and here's the article:

View attachment 43301

Makes me think of Bud Powell getting beaten by police in the 40s. Allegedly that attack left lasting damage, and he was never quite the same after-- or so the story goes.

Back