Jazz

Yes that Mtume album is killer.Was listening to it the other day.
2 points on Strata East:

1) Please make their catalogue available on Spotify! It's a pity that I can't dive deeper into the records released by this label. The type of uncompromising, obscure and spiritual jazz is exactly my cup of tea, and I feel like I'm missing a lot of records by not being able to stream them.

2) Can we please get a Pure Pleasure reissue of "Mtume Umoja Ensemble - Alkebu - Lan, Land of the Blacks"? I just discovered this album and it may be one of the best Strata East albums I've heard. There seems to be a recent European reissue, but I'm sure PP would do an awesome job if they released it, and it would also be more widely available.

2 points on Strata East:

1) Please make their catalogue available on Spotify! It's a pity that I can't dive deeper into the records released by this label. The type of uncompromising, obscure and spiritual jazz is exactly my cup of tea, and I feel like I'm missing a lot of records by not being able to stream them.

2) Can we please get a Pure Pleasure reissue of "Mtume Umoja Ensemble - Alkebu - Lan, Land of the Blacks"? I just discovered this album and it may be one of the best Strata East albums I've heard. There seems to be a recent European reissue, but I'm sure PP would do an awesome job if they released it, and it would also be more widely available.

IIRC the contracts made with the artists were different from what was usually done with other labels, mostly in favor of the artists. I couldn't find the website where (I think) I read that but, basically, the deal was that Strata payed upfront for recordings, studios, musicians, engineers, etc... and, later, the money made on the records sold would go, first, to the label to cover the costs but the rights remained to the artists. So the reason why we cannot find all the catalog on Spotify or wherever is probably because you may have to contact tons of people to have their authorizations. I don't know how PP and other labels (Everland, Superfly, etc...) works to reissue Strata-East records but it's seems a bit complicated.

Apple Music vs Tidal - with regards to depth of jazz titles.

I am subscribing to Apple Music but have decided to give Tidal a try with their $4/4 months offer. Overall I have been liking Tidal, especially the higher quality streaming bitrate. But what I am curious about is how do their respective catalogues compare with regards to jazz titles. I have found a few holes in Tidal's collection, Metallica being the biggest one missing. Thoughts?

Ok Jazz-ers? Jazz-bos? Jazz-heads? I need your help! Still in the lockdown situation here and have exhausted my list of jazz documentaries/films and could really do with some more to burn through. So far I have watched & re-watched:

Chasing Trane
I Called Him Morgan
Miles Ahead
The Blue Note Story
1959, The Year That Changed Jazzind of Bill Evans
Bird

I currently have 'A Portrait of Mal Waldron', and 'Jazzlegende Wayne Shorter' lined up to watch as well. I tend to have them on whilst doing some of the more tedious bits of my work.....so plenty of time to watch them! If anyone has any recommendations it would be much appreciated!

Watch Jackie McLean on Mars.

An introspective 32 minute documentary on Jackie McLean. He discusses jazz, race, acceptance in Europe, teaching young people about jazz, politics and the commercial vs the creative aspects of jazz. It’s well worth your time.

What has been a holy grail record for me is finally being reissued. I've been on the hunt for Al-Fatiha by Black Unity Trio for 15 years. I only came across beat up copies and they were going for a lot of dough.

An all analog pressing from the original master tapes is coming.

If you aren't familiar, then get familiar!

What has been a holy grail record for me is finally being reissued. I've been on the hunt for Al-Fatiha by Black Unity Trio for 15 years. I only came across beat up copies and they were going for a lot of dough.

Never heard of this, but looks cool. I'll given it a listen tomorrow

Hey guys, this is a complete stab in the dark which likely wont go anywhere, but if it helps then great.

The guy that provided the interviews with Helen Morgan for the Lee Morgan documentary had previously written a book using the transcripts and interviews. Its called 'The Lady Who Shot Lee Morgan' by Larry Reni Thomas. I have searched everywhere online but the only copies available seem to be in the US with postage costing at least £30. If anyone in the UK or Europe knows of where I could get a copy that would be superb! It looks like the second-hand market has it listed at quite the price, around £30, which is a crazy amount to spend but its something I would likely do as I imagine the book is fascinating. Cheers!

I absolutely love Sam Records and they announced their latest pressing. A bit too rich for my blood but this is an awesome record:

Ltd: 300.
Byrd is one of my favorite artists and I love everything I own from Sam records. I bit on the pre-order. Shipping was tough to swallow but I’ll live. I’d really love to see them put out more from Transition. Byrd Blows on Beacon Hill immediately comes to mind.

Cross post from Pre-Order thread.
Thanks @Enaz Fox
"iam8bit is always keen on innovation, and the Ape Out vinyl soundtrack is truly a first-of-its-kind revelation. This is an experimental “LIVE” album, but instead of microphones on stage, we put a controller in the hands of developer Gabe Cuzzillo to drive the performance. The results are frenetic, beautiful, rhythmic and unlike anything you’ve ever heard. That’s thanks to brilliant procedural music and sound design by Matt Boch, who empowers players to be their own band. The listening experience is akin to witnessing a King Kong drum circle of jazz greats madly riffing — sharp, energetic percussive beats, bumps and thumps flowing and jiving in inexplicably awesome ways. This is one of the coolest — and most insane — pieces of wax you’ll treat your turntable to."
View attachment 43616

Byrd is one of my favorite artists and I love everything I own from Sam records. I bit on the pre-order. Shipping was tough to swallow but I’ll live. I’d really love to see them put out more from Transition. Byrd Blows on Beacon Hill immediately comes to mind.
I was so close to winning an eBay auction on Byrd Blows on Beacon Hill recently and got outbid at the last minute.

I truly doubt you will be disappointed in this one. As you said everything from Sam Records has been awesome so far. Jealous you picked it up! Let us know how it is. I just couldn’t spring for it right now with everything going on.

SF Jazz is offering a digital membership for $5 a month that includes concerts every Friday...here's some info:

Digital Members receive full online access to the new SFJAZZ streaming concert series Fridays at Five. For just $5 a month, you can sign up for our digital membership and tune in each Friday at 5 PM (PT) for the latest concert. Make it a regular date. Bring a glass of wine and cozy up – we think you will discover that digital technology can reveal new dimensions of musical performance.

And some of the upcoming shows:

MAY 1: Snarky Puppy

MAY 8: Joe Lovano: Trioism
w/ Bill Frisell, Tyshawn Sorey, Marilyn Crispell & Carmen Castaldi

MAY 15: Monsieur Periné

MAY 22: Wayne Shorter Celebration feat. Kamasi Washington, Terrace Martin, Danilo Pérez, John Patitucci and Brian Blade.
For this special broadcast, 100% of tip jar proceeds will go to Wayne Shorter.

MAY 29: Chucho Valdés & Irakere 45

Never heard of this — listened to the whole album today. Great stuff, definitely my kind of free jazz. Thanks for the alert!

Already sold out.

But still available at Rough Trade:

I just ordered this. Always works out that if you buy another 2 albums you get free shipping and so I ordered two other things. Damn you, Rough Trade.

Would you guys say 55€ is a good deal for the Impex - The Famous Sound Of Three Blind Mice Volume 1 album?

HHV had it in their sale today at that price. It's normally listed at 10-20€ more everywhere but I remember someone saying there was a cheaper place to get it...

Would you guys say 55€ is a good deal for the Impex - The Famous Sound Of Three Blind Mice Volume 1 album?

HHV had it in their sale today at that price. It's normally listed at 10-20€ more everywhere but I remember someone saying there was a cheaper place to get it...
I would actually say that this seems to be a tad below average. Its become a but of a joke that myself and @Skalap always mention that its one of the best sounding records we own (which is totally true, its amazing!) and I personally would pay the €55 for it. Its certainly worth it IMO.

Edit: I just checked my emails and it looks like I paid £44 for it in an ebay auction a year ago. I obviously got that for a great price, but my point is that I would still happily pay the extra £10 on top of that as its a really great pressing.

I would actually say that this seems to be a tad below average. Its become a but of a joke that myself and @Skalap always mention that its one of the best sounding records we own (which is totally true, its amazing!) and I personally would pay the €55 for it. Its certainly worth it IMO.

Edit: I just checked my emails and it looks like I paid £44 for it in an ebay auction a year ago. I obviously got that for a great price, but my point is that I would still happily pay the extra £10 on top of that as its a really great pressing.

What @Selaws said. It's one of the best sounding records I have and I highly recommended if you want to get into Three Blind Mice music. If it's a good deal? I would say it's corect,. I had a great price on this record and paid 36€ but + 11€ shipping. So all in all I paid 47€, not that far from what they ask for it.

Yes it’s a pretty good sounding set, but I find the music s bit boring for me, but that’s just me.If you have money to burn go ahead, you can maybe get your money back down the track, but then again the s/h market for vinyl could crash and burn.Have a listen to the music and see if you’re going to listen to it a lot it’s probably worth it.

Back